Need help with malfunctioning old Canon 8mm Camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my 1991 vintage Canon 8 mm camcorder out of storage for the first time in about 5 years to watch some old family videos. When I try to load a tape, I hear a strange "whining" sound, and then an "Eject" warning begins to flash in the LCD display. Any idea what could be causing this, and is it something I can fix myself... like by disassembling, cleaning and lubricating all the moving parts for starters? I certainly don't want to spend any serious $$$ to fix a unit this old and obsolete, but at the same time I would like to get it functioning at least long enough to backup all my old tapes to DVR/DVD. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozman1947 View Post

I got my 1991 vintage Canon 8 mm camcorder out of storage for the first time in about 5 years to watch some old family videos. When I try to load a tape, I hear a strange "whining" sound, and then an "Eject" warning begins to flash in the LCD display. Any idea what could be causing this, and is it something I can fix myself... like by disassembling, cleaning and lubricating all the moving parts for starters? I certainly don't want to spend any serious $$$ to fix a unit this old and obsolete, but at the same time I would like to get it functioning at least long enough to backup all my old tapes to DVR/DVD. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

I had an experience like this way back when during the Video8 (mono) era. The problem's fixed by changing the rubber belt (it was a tad loose when compared to a new belt).

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks David... I'll give it a try this weekend. I've never tried to work on this unit before, so I'm a total novice as to the inner workings... any advice you can give me as to exactly how to access/remove the rubber belt you refer to??
post #4 of 4 Old 03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
1. get the service manual so you can have the exploded view diagram of the unit (or try find it on the net)
2. make sure you have all the right tools (perfect sized screwdrivers and a tweezer).
3. I don't know about your vision, but I use magnifying goggles.

The safer way, of course, just pay a service centre their hourly charge to change the belt.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page