HD camcorders vs format wars - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With either Canon or Sony HD camcorders will there be a conflict with using a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player because of the different formats? I'm leaning toward Blu-Ray for a player as I think they will win out. I have a XP media and Pinnacle 10 so I know that would have to be upgraded, any suggestions there would be helpful. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
I know that many people have burned HDV footage to regular DVDs and played them successfully on HD DVD players. I'm not sure about BR.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

The cams and the format wars are 2 different things and you should not confuse them. You can put anything from any cam onto blu ray or hybrid hd dvd and it will work... just depends on the format that you decide to convert to, and the programs that you use.

As to which format you would want to choose is of your own free will. But you should be aware that NEITHER format are fully function as of today's date. Blu ray has the REAL burners and disks out, but lacks the adequate software to do a good job at doing disks, while it seems that HD DVD suffers from the exact opposite problem.

It is possible to do high def on normal dvd media to use for hi def playback in the respective machines... and of the 2 formats HD DVD is better put together for it.

Pinnacle studio, with the hd dvd plugin does a nice job at producing a fully functional authored HD DVD that can even include DD5.1 sound. Although pinnacle does not support blu ray at all as of yet, you can do similar disks in blu ray with Ulead software.... it is not quite as refined though.

I have gone with HD DVD (for the moment anyway) and I use pinnacle to produce. I have a couple of frame grabs from a HD DVD disk..... frame grab 5 and 11. 5 is at a bit rate of 19000 and 11 is at 25000

(scroll down towards the bottom and look for the screen name BLINK3TIMES)

http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/205076.aspx
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input.
Jake
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbill View Post

The cams and the format wars are 2 different things and you should not confuse them. You can put anything from any cam onto blu ray or hybrid hd dvd and it will work... just depends on the format that you decide to convert to, and the programs that you use.

As to which format you would want to choose is of your own free will. But you should be aware that NEITHER format are fully function as of today's date. Blu ray has the REAL burners and disks out, but lacks the adequate software to do a good job at doing disks, while it seems that HD DVD suffers from the exact opposite problem.

It is possible to do high def on normal dvd media to use for hi def playback in the respective machines... and of the 2 formats HD DVD is better put together for it.

Pinnacle studio, with the hd dvd plugin does a nice job at producing a fully functional authored HD DVD that can even include DD5.1 sound. Although pinnacle does not support blu ray at all as of yet, you can do similar disks in blu ray with Ulead software.... it is not quite as refined though.

I have gone with HD DVD (for the moment anyway) and I use pinnacle to produce. I have a couple of frame grabs from a HD DVD disk..... frame grab 5 and 11. 5 is at a bit rate of 19000 and 11 is at 25000

(scroll down towards the bottom and look for the screen name BLINK3TIMES)

http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/205076.aspx

Thank you...you have answered my questions...very clear pictures I might say.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbill View Post

This is only partially true about HD-DVD authoring. While there are no burners and software apps like Pinnacle Studio will author HD-DVD to 4.7 and 8.5GB disks, it doesn't fully support all the HD-DVD features. You can't build interactive features like video overlays and supplemental content with any of the existing tools - you need to do coding against the HD-DVD spec outlined at the Windows Media HD-DVD site in order to build these things at this point.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page