Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.... any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a very simple, basic HDV editing program. I am not going to be doing any fancy editing. For the most part, I just want to archive my HDV footage on my computer so I can watch them on my HTPC + 1080p HDTV combination. (I would like to avoid playing back footage repeatedly from my HDV camcorder directly). So, is Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 any good? (I can get it for under $90). Or should I splurge and go for broke with Vegas 7.0 and be future-proof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Elements is quite highly rated, I have version 2.x, and its a fairly full featured program.
If it has the features you need, then it should be fine.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-30-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Just ordered it on Amazon for 79.99...it has a $30 MIR, so final price will be $50...Not bad, eh?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
yep very nice!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 PM

I consider Adobe Premiere Elements to be a great product, especially with price factord in. It is well worth the $50. I use the 1.0 version to edit SD video. I'm impressed with the features you get for the relatively low price. I must say that it is not the easiest video editor for a novice to start with, but once you get the interface down, it will be a long while before you outgrow its features.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Me, I was not so lucky. I had Studio 8 for the last few years and decided to try something new and got the Elements 3. I guess because I was so used to the Pinnacle Studio product, I didn't like the Premiere program and the way it worked; seemed less user friendly and had less features. Also, when I was ready to burn a DVD for the first time, I had to go through some extra crap to essentially get permission to burn one by jumping through a couple of hoops of retrieving some access code or whatever. The one good thing I did notice is that the Adobe seemed more stable than the Pinnacle.
Anyway, just an observation.

Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM

I downloaded the trial version after reading on the package in a store that Elements "Now supports native HDV" After capturing from my HV20, it seemed to convert the video to a plain mpeg format. To save the project back to tape after editing it gave a message "transcoding to HDV" So it seems to being two conversions. I did not have time to complete the project yet so don't know how it will come out.

Has anyone gone through this process that can advise on the results?

Are there any editing programs that allow native HDV editing and saving back to tape using the camcorder? I tried Videostudio 10 that seems to edit in HDV but does not allow recording the project back to tape.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Following up on this thread - I just ordered an HV20 and expect it later this week.

I have been using Premiere Elements 3.0 with my old Canon Vistura. Am I going to need to upgrade to a different software package for native HDV editing?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Kutter,

I have been using Premiere Elements 3.0 with my HV20 without any problems. As footage is catured into PE 3.0 it is converted to an I-frame only mpeg, which is what is then edited. I find it to be a very good quality intermediate format.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks rsen.

If I wanted to keep the full HDV quality, would I need to go to full Premiere/After Effects or possibly Vegas7?
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Vegas captures DIRECTLY as a M2T steam (which is what the cam puts out) and works with it in it's native form. That's not to say that I frame MPEG capture is bad... some prefer this as a good intermediate as straight mpeg2 is a bit more difficult to work with. Personally I like working directly with the M2t... but it's all a matter of preference.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page