Trouble connecting the HV20 to my PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to connect my HV20 to my PC using Windows Moviemaker but I keep getting a message saying that "a video capture device was not detected". I have the camcorder on "play" mode and I'm using a 4pin/4pin firewire and the connection seems to be working but my PC won't recognize the video camera. I saw a similar problem posted on the camcorderinfo website but wasn't completely resolved. I've tried the "add hardware wizard" but without success. Could anybody please point me to the right direction? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Make sure your window XP HAS Service Pack 2. Then download free HDV capturing software such as HDVsplit or CapDVHS.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 AM

It worked fine for me when using Movie Maker in Vista.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 PM

I am also getting the no capture device indication in XP. I have service Pack 2 and all regular updates. The camera fails to show as an imaging device in device manager despite the beeps of detection. Everything works great for my Canon GL1. It is almost like the device is being mis-detected as something else; but I cannot determin what!

In Vista, the camera is successfully detected but capture is MISERABLE. Audio is consistent but Video is (how do I describe this) surgy. It is fine then slows like a wave and then resumes in 20-30 second cycles. There is clearly frame drop. I am not doing anything else during the capture, file size is correct for the duration captured, and CPU on the machine never crossed 10-15%. Not sure about firewire IO, but again NO problems with the GL1.

I have a support inquiry into Canon but if anyone else has seen resolution steps (short of a hardware problem) please share!

Thanks, -M
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are either of you using firewire pci cards or are you going directly into the motherboard?

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I am using a firewire port built specifically into the motherboard.

As mentioned, it works fine and dandy for the GL1.

The camera is detected properly in Vista, the capture is just horrific.

XP detects it under sound cards as a "AV/C Tape device" but then it is unavailable in any programs (windows movie maker, Premiere, etc as a video capture device) so it is installed as a device that I cannot conduct capture against!

argh!

-M
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyermike View Post

I am using a firewire port built specifically into the motherboard.

As mentioned, it works fine and dandy for the GL1.

The camera is detected properly in Vista, the capture is just horrific.

XP detects it under sound cards as a "AV/C Tape device" but then it is unavailable in any programs (windows movie maker, Premiere, etc as a video capture device) so it is installed as a device that I cannot conduct capture against!

argh!

-M

Argh! is right!!! Now I see why you are so frustrated. Have you made sure to see that your motherboard's firmware (Bios) is up to date? I don't think that's it, since this is happening with Vista on a newer? motherboard. I'm grabbing at straws at this point. Totally stumpted! Please keep us informed on progress or any info in solving this.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page