I am editing AVCHD in Premier - it can be done (Sony Vaio PC Needed) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There've been lots of posts on here about the inability to edit AVCHD files so for those interested, thought I'd post that it can be done and I've done it.

The caveat is: apparently you need to have a Sony Vaio PC loaded with version 2.0 of Premier Elements or Pro and version 6.1 or better of a plug in called Vaio Edit Components. There was a reference to this in a post on here way back in October ("First Sony HDR-SR1 review online" thread) but the info apparently got overlooked. That poster indicated he wasn't able to install Vaio Edit Components on a non-Vaio computer.

I'm using a Vaio VGC-RC310G computer, Windows XP MCE, Adobe Premier Elements 2.0, Sony Vaio Edit Components 6.1. AVCHD files were downloaded to the PC with supplied camera software. From within Premier select Vaio Media from the Add Media menu. This pulls the AVCHD clips into the Premier project. Full editing capabilities are available. The finished project can be rendered and saved in any number of formats including HDV (which I successfully did last night), WMV and others. I haven't tried burning to DVD or AVCHD disk yet. The options are available through Premier's menus but then there's also DVD/AVCHD export selections under the Vaio Edit Components export menu. I looks like you might have to do it in 2 steps - first render and export the project in the proper format before you can burn it, but not sure yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I edited the title to reflect some of what is needed.

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

That's fine if you feel it's necessary. But I hope I didn't imply from what I posted that I know that for a fact...which is why I said "apparently". It probably is true (afterall the plug-in is called *Vaio* Edit Components) but I've only seen 1 guy say he couldn't install it on a non-Vaio and I don't have a non-Vaio to try it on. I could imagine possibly a driver or two that could be installed on a non-Vaio to make it work. Or maybe not. I just want to be clear that *I'm* not claiming to know for a fact that it absolutely can't work on a non-Vaio.

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 PM

FYI the title got my attention.

Straymutt- keep us posted on your AVCHD editing findings, it sounds very interesting.

I just bought my daughter a new Vaio to replace my old one that I had handed down to her - maybe I need to take the new one back!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by straymutt View Post

That's fine if you feel it's necessary. But I hope I didn't imply from what I posted that I know that for a fact...which is why I said "apparently". It probably is true (afterall the plug-in is called *Vaio* Edit Components) but I've only seen 1 guy say he couldn't install it on a non-Vaio and I don't have a non-Vaio to try it on. I could imagine possibly a driver or two that could be installed on a non-Vaio to make it work. Or maybe not. I just want to be clear that *I'm* not claiming to know for a fact that it absolutely can't work on a non-Vaio.

Thanks.

No problem, I can change the title if more credible information surfaces.

Thanks,

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page