HV10 Firewire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Canon HV10 camcorder. I am trying to download video from the tape to my Compaq nx9420 laptop; using a firewire cable. I am running windows professional vers2002 Service Pack 2. The laptop has a 4pin Firewire port.

I am trying to capture the video with Windows Movie Maker. When I use the "Capture from video Device" function it returns the following error message: "A video capture device was not detected. Verify that a device is turned on and connected properly; and then try again."

In one of the other forums I saw one of the members is using CapDVHS to capture the stream. This program regonise the HV 10 as "Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device (Canon HV10#1). The problem with this program is that after this I still need to convert the format using a third party program.

Can you please assist me with the issue of Windows Movie Maker not detecting my HV10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM

i recommend using a program called sony vegas 7.0, i upload video from my hv10 all the time with it, and its never given me trouble, once the video is in your computer i recommend you play it using a program called VLC player, vegas also works like a charm if you want to transfer edited HDV footage back to the hv10, the results are always smooth and error-free
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephcoatar View Post

i recommend using a program called sony vegas 7.0, i upload video from my hv10 all the time with it, and its never given me trouble, once the video is in your computer i recommend you play it using a program called VLC player, vegas also works like a charm if you want to transfer edited HDV footage back to the hv10, the results are always smooth and error-free

I am looking around for a copy of this. Do you have any suggestions for sellers? Also, what are the specs on your PC that you are processing the HV20 output? Thanks, Joe
post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 AM

i obtained my copy of vegas through *ahem* questionable means, but i've seen it for sale at best buy, circuit city, and of course amazon.com, again i want to point out i'm using a hv10, NOT the hv20, i could have waited to buy the hv20 but i noticed its optical array was identical to the hv10, i didn't need 24p or hdmi, so i just went ahead with the hv10 (i brought the last one from crutchfield.com BTW), as for my pc it's just your typical run of the mill 2005 windows xp, with a 3.0ghz intel pentium 4 processor, it had 512mb of ram, but just to be safe i went ahead and added another gig of memory to handle the HDV footage smoothly
post #5 of 5 Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I would use CapDVHS which is a free program to get it off your camera.

Here is a link:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/CapDVHS
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page