Will the HV20 do the job for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been holding out and saving my money for an FX7, but lately I have been having second thoughts about the HV20.
My shooting is as follows: Family 25%, Scenery 35%, Trains (railroading subjects) 40%.

I need a camcorder that does the following well:
1. Great and accurate picture quality (sharp details, accurate colors, good with moving objects).
2. Good sound capturing.
3. Easy to use, but with some of the more important/common manual adjustments.

I do a fair amount of shooting out west, in big sky country, and wish to capture as much of it as I can, with the best amount of fine detail and accurate color as I can. I want to feel, when viewing my product on a big plasma, that I am out there again. When shooting out there, I use a tripod 90% of the time, so the OIS is not that big of a deal. Night shots (evening or dusk, indoor shots) are not too often. Most of my shooting is done in daylight.
Whether it be trains moving across the Rocky Mountain front, or just a slow pan from a high perch looking over the high plains at sunset, I wish to capture the picture and sounds as accurately as I can, with a picture that captures the feeling of "bigness" and can put it on a big screen tv (plasma) that recreates that feeling of "being there". I love the sky out there, as well as the factor of distances, and wish to capture what is possible concerning that also. When I can no longer get out there due to age or whatever, I want to be able to view these videos that I have shot, and be pulled into the scene and remember what it all felt like being out there. Currently, my Sony DV camcorder can't quite do that on my plasma, due to reduced resolution of that camcorder(PQ).

I like the FX7 for its manual controls, 20X zoom, and its extra weight (reduces my shaking when not using a tripod). The sound capturing was/is a concern. Also, I am used to Sony products since I have owned a Sony DV cam for several years now. So the FX7 seems like a good choice for me, for the most part. But the price is alittle scarey. It will take me longer to save for.
Will an HV20 with a suitable wide angle lens and suitable microphone do a comparible job? Even though I will have to give up some on the zoom factor and on the weight (FX7 makes it smoother on my fluid head tripod because of its greater weight), will the HV20 work for me? Can it capture the fullness (richness), and depth of field that I imagine I can capture with an HD camcorder?

Thanks.
Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just to add....I have been told that the FX7 will do a good job for what I have in mind, especially the scenery and railroads. As for the family stuff, I think I can handle a moderate sized cam like the FX7 (I'm old enough to have had the shoulder mounted VHS camcorders way back when). The sound quality of the FX7 is my major concern.
But with the HV20, what I really want to know is will it match the FX7 when it comes to scenery in the wide open spaces of the American West.

Thanks.
Mike

post #3 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Mike, I've had both the FX7 (recently sold) and the HV10 and now the HV20. So, speaking from experience and only my opinion, the following are some thoughts:

* I honestly found the HD picture to be better on the HV20. It has less noise, less artifacts and has as much detail.

* Colors on both units are very good, but I've actually found the color balance of the HV20 to be more natural due to its greater white balance consistency.

* OIS on both is pretty similar, but due to the larger, heavier size of the FX7, you may be able to hold it steadier than the HV20. The size & weight obviously works both for you and against you. You can hold the HV20 all day due to its light weight, but you need to concentrate on holding it steady a bit more. But I do get very steady results with the HV20.

* The HV20 is only 10X as opposed to the FX7's 20X. Not sure how important that is to you. I suppose you can always get a 2X extender with the HV20.

* I suspect you'll have most of the manual controls you'll neeed on the HV20. The only real control that's missing is a direct link to 'gain'. On the FX7 you can limit gain to +12db or +6db (I may be a bit off on those #s). However, in terms of low light, the HV20 is right up there with the FX7.

* I think the HV20 in general will very much match the FX7's ability to shoot those nice scenics.

* Sound quality on the FX7 is somewhat better than the HV20. Not sure if you're going with an outboard mike or not.

By the way Mike, I view all my footage on a 50" Fujitsu plasma.

Good luck!
post #4 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Ken. I remember you had both camcorders. Good to hear from you.
I would probably get an external mike for the HV20. When taping trains, you want all the big natural sounds you can get, especially the deeper booming base sounds. Otherwise, I would want to not hear the camcorder sounds when taping nature or whatever else. How are the Rode microphones? Any others?

Do you have any suggestions for lenses (wide angle and telephoto)?

And last but not least....a moderately priced (or cheaper) editing program for a windows based computer.

Thanks again Ken.

Mike

post #5 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike52 View Post

I would probably get an external mike for the HV20. When taping trains, you want all the big natural sounds you can get, especially the deeper booming base sounds. Otherwise, I would want to not hear the camcorder sounds when taping nature or whatever else. How are the Rode microphones? Any others?

And last but not least....a moderately priced (or cheaper) editing program for a windows based computer.

Thanks again Ken.

Mike

I just ordered the WD-H43 wide angle lens for the HV20. I'll probably post some samples to dvinfo after I get it.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 427
the WD-H43 wide angle is at the same quality level as anyone of the Century Optics wide-angle adapter I've used in the past. It's virtually transparent.

Things I dislike, however:

1. the WA is heavy as hell, the HV-20 becomes severely front heavy
2. no front thread
3. barrel distortion is too much for my liking (then again, however, this is a US$190 unit. I can't complain)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #7 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks again Ken.

Mike

Mike, I tend not to use auxiliary lenses, so I'll let others handle that one. People seem to like the Rhode mikes quite a bit, so I'm sure that's a contender.

For editing, I use a pretty pricey, but very sophisticated program, Canopus' Edius Pro 4. Like many sohpisticated programs, it's a pretty steep learning curve. I think it's priced at about $800.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

the WD-H43 wide angle is at the same quality level as anyone of the Century Optics wide-angle adapter I've used in the past. It's virtually transparent.

Things I dislike, however:

1. the WA is heavy as hell, the HV-20 becomes severely front heavy
2. no front thread
3. barrel distortion is too much for my liking (then again, however, this is a US$190 unit. I can't complain)

So David, since the WD-H43 is so heavy, has barrel distortion, and has no front thread, what would you recommend (without breaking my bank)?

Mike

post #9 of 36 Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

unfortunately... WD-H43.

It's still the best of the bunch (tried no-name WA, tried Raynox 6600, Raynox 7000, Canon GL2 58mm WA)

my home theatre

post #10 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks David.

Well, so far it looks like the HV20 is my best bet. I have a couple of months yet before I will pull the trigger. Until then, I will ask questions of you all when they occur to me....like what extra batteries I should get, what about a lens hood (are any available), what tapes to get, and so on.

So, here is my current list of questions, in an ordered list:

1. What kind of batteries should I look for?
2. Is there a lens hood available?
3. What tapes would be good to get?
4. Ken gave me the name of his editing program that he uses. Is there any others out there that would do the job without me having to sell my first born?

Thanks.
Mike

Edit: I know a couple of these questions have already been asked and I will look up the appropriate threads.

post #11 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

for batteries: I use Sterlingtek.com NB-2LH equivalent (US$14 a piece, 1700 mAh). I also buy the battery charger from them so I don't have to use the camera as a charger (US$20)

lens hood: I use Fotodiox.com 43mm lens hood For the WA adapter, there is no lens hood (yet?)

tapes: I use Panasonic AMQ miniDV (bhphotovideo.com sells them for about $6.50 a piece, but shipping is a bit high if you buy small quantity, ebay.ca and search for "Panasonic AMQ miniDV" there is always somebody selling it for $7.50 a piece but shipping is cheaper in smaller quantity.

program: Sony Vegas 7 is cheaper, PM me for info.

my home theatre

post #12 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks David, I will PM you later today for that info.

I just got through reading a thread in another forum about a suggestion on keeping the LCD screen closed when taping. The thought was that by keeping the LCD closed when taping something, there will be less dropouts. Has anybody noticed this? Is this true? I hope not, due to I love to use the LCD screen when shooting as it provides me a more accurate picture of what it is that I am attempting to capture. Given the small (and to me, limiting) eyepiece, I much prefer using the LCD screen.

And of course, this leads me to another question:

Can you use the LCD screen outside when shooting? Is it easily visible under the vast majority of circumstances?

Thanks.
Mike

post #13 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

this is the first time I heard regarding the LCD creating dropout. Not saying whether its true or otherwise, just never heard it before.

Regarding the 2nd question, although it's never been that bright yet in Canada so far, as far as I know based on my test usage, you can use the LCD outdoors.

my home theatre

post #14 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

this is the first time I heard regarding the LCD creating dropout. Not saying whether its true or otherwise, just never heard it before.

Regarding the 2nd question, although it's never been that bright yet in Canada so far, as far as I know based on my test usage, you can use the LCD outdoors.

No dropouts here and I've been using the LCD on bright sunny days. Yes, we had a few...

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #15 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Perhaps it was just a coincidence between the LCD being used and the dropouts. I will be keeping an eye open for any additional reports concerning this phenomenon.

This is good news concerning the LCD use in sunlight (or at least on sunny days). I would assume that in direct sunlight, the screen would not be that good, but otherwise, it would be very usable, especially for using it for focus and color accuracy. Would that be correct?

Got to go to work now.
Mike

post #16 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM

I've had a few dropouts with my HV20. Nothing major, but more frequent than with my HC3 or DVX100a.

I'm pleased with the WD-H43, though I agree it makes the camera front-heavy. The barrel distortion doesn't bother me.

Bored? Check out my blog: www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com
post #17 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

which tape do you use?

my home theatre

post #18 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just got through reading a thread in another forum about a suggestion on keeping the LCD screen closed when taping. The thought was that by keeping the LCD closed when taping something, there will be less dropouts. Has anybody noticed this? Is this true? I hope not, due to I love to use the LCD screen when shooting as it provides me a more accurate picture of what it is that I am attempting to capture. Given the small (and to me, limiting) eyepiece, I much prefer using the LCD screen.

And of course, this leads me to another question:

Can you use the LCD screen outside when shooting? Is it easily visible under the vast majority of circumstances?

Thanks.
Mike

Mike, no, that's not a problem and I'm not sure what was causing that issue with that one user in the store. However last night I did find out something interesting. It seems that putting the cam very close to a plasma (like 1"), results in macroblocking (what some people might refer to as dropouts). I discovered this quite by accident when comparing picture quality in component vs HDMI. As soon as I moved the cam a few inches away, the macroblocking disappeared.

The LCD can be used in sunny weather, but it's obviously a bit harder to see than when indoors.
post #19 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Mike, no, that's not a problem and I'm not sure what was causing that issue with that one user in the store. However last night I did find out something interesting. It seems that putting the cam very close to a plasma (like 1"), results in macroblocking (what some people might refer to as dropouts). I discovered this quite by accident when comparing picture quality in component vs HDMI. As soon as I moved the cam a few inches away, the macroblocking disappeared.

The LCD can be used in sunny weather, but it's obviously a bit harder to see than when indoors.

It actually says in the manual, not to use the HV20 close to a plasma TV.

Do not use the camcorder near strong
electric or magnetic fields such as above
TVs, near plasma TVs or mobile phones.

also in the troubleshooting section:

Problem:
Video noise appears on screen.

Solution:
When using the camcorder in a room where a plasma TV is
located, keep a distance between the camcorder and the
plasma TV.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #20 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. I guess it does pay to read a manual once in awhile!
post #21 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yup. I guess it does pay to read a manual once in awhile!

I was actually suprised to see this as I was skimming through the manual. Is the problem with the tape and the EMF of the plasma, or is it the camcorder itself?

I definately don't want to screw up my archived tapes or camcorder for that matter, but I still intend to use it with my plasma.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #22 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean (Alabama) View Post

I've had a few dropouts with my HV20. Nothing major, but more frequent than with my HC3 or DVX100a.

I'm pleased with the WD-H43, though I agree it makes the camera front-heavy. The barrel distortion doesn't bother me.

Hey Sean. Wheres' the camcorder? That is one heck of a mic you have there. As to the lens, how much wider does the WD-H43 make the picture? Approximately how many additional degrees of viewing?

And...what is that the camcorder is sitting on?

Mike

post #23 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

I was actually suprised to see this as I was skimming through the manual. Is the problem with the tape and the EMF of the plasma, or is it the camcorder itself?

I definately don't want to screw up my archived tapes or camcorder for that matter, but I still intend to use it with my plasma.

No, it's not the tape, the tape remains intact. It must have something to do with the emissions from the plasma screwing up the processing going on in the decoder....but that's just a theory. I guess it would be easy to check out by actually recording something while in close proximity to the cam. If it's the decoder, I'd think the recording of the macroblocking would be permanent.
post #24 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 AM

I've been using basic TDK (wet lube) tapes...the cheap ones. I used the same brand with my DVX and never had a single dropout. Had a couple of dropouts with the HC3, and more than a couple with the HV20. I will be wary of errant magnetic sources from now on.

The mic is an AT897 (connected via an AT8341 XLR adapter cable). And the camera is sitting on "The Pod," an incredibly useful $15 beanbag tripod device.

Bored? Check out my blog: www.thelonglonghoneymoon.com
post #25 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Sean.

OK, now lets' see....

1. Buy the Canon HV20.
2. Buy TDK (wet lube) or Panasonic AMQ Mini DV tapes.
3. Buy Sterlingtek NB-2LH batteries and charger.
4. Buy the WD-H43 wide angle lens.
5. Buy Sony Vegas 7 or Canopus' Edius Pro 4 editing software.
6. Buy a Rhodes microphone.

It will then be time for a road trip!!!!
Well, perhaps I should first take the time to read the manual. But I am getting ahead of myself. Just need to save some more money. Besides, I have until June or July, for goodness sake.

Back to the serious stuff.

Dropouts! How bad?

Mike

post #26 of 36 Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

addition:

I might want to try this for WD-H43 hood:
http://www.cavision.com/lenshoods/LH77.htm

also this as a camera grip
http://www.cavision.com/rods/RS8HSMP.htm

my home theatre

post #27 of 36 Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

David. That lens hood looks good. As to the pistol grip, still trying to figure if or how useful it would be. Do you use one on any of your cams?

Well, a little over 2/3rds the way there money-wise. Maybe in May. Later for the accessories. Getting anxious. Patience Mike, patience.

Thanks to all for your help. Additional suggestions, comments, ideas, etc. are welcome. Please share your experiences and expertise with me (I can use all the help I can get ).

A hat! Got to get a good hat for when shooting out west this summer. Must be professional (fool people into thinking I'm good), attractive (for the ladies), effective (covering my bald spot), adaptive (help cover the cam when it is raining), rugged (in case I step on it or sit on it), and expendable (in case I lose it or damage it). Any suggestions?

Mike

post #28 of 36 Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never used a pistol grip for this camera but it's somewhat of a nostalgic value for me. A reminiscense of the oldm Super8 days. Besides it's anatomically better for your wrist.

You may only need a hat... I need plastic surgery

my home theatre

post #29 of 36 Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:

unfortunately... WD-H43.

It's still the best of the bunch (tried no-name WA, tried Raynox 6600, Raynox 7000, Canon GL2 58mm WA)

I have a Raynox 6600 and it works great on my SD camera and was hopping to use it on the HV20 when I get one. Was wonder what problems it had on the HV20 and what makes the WD-H43 better? Thanks.

Car Videos from Southern California
www.socalspeedzone.com
www.speedandmotion.com
post #30 of 36 Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

the only problem is because the 6600 (or even the so-called HD 7000 series) don't have as good resolving resolution as the Canon adapter. Using the Canon adapter, apart from the barrel distortion, you won't notice that you're using a WA, whereas with 6600 and 7000, you'll notice it right away (the picture resolution, colour accuracy, went down big time)

my home theatre

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page