Looking for an SD or HD camera, but MUST have component out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if someone here can help or not, but here goes. I need a camera, the best camera for the money, and it can be SD or HD, but it must have component video out. Any cameras that people could suggest would be great. I won't be currently going HD with my video productions, but if the cost is worth it, I may buy the HD camera so I have those capabilities in the future. Thanks for any advice.

:Edit: I should add that my max budget is about 3000 dollars, but am shooting for more the 1000 to 1500 range. Again, if HD proves worth it, I may spend closer to 3000.

Check out my 3d gallery. Go to my profile and go to my website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 PM

I recently got the Sony HDR-SR1. Initial impressions are very favorable for me. I love having a hard disk rather than tape to fast forward through. Separate clips for each time I record is great and makes reviewing video very convenient.

For interfaces it has:
component video out
composite video out
s-video out (w/optional cable)
HDMI out (awesome direct to LCD or Plasma TV!)
Mini-USB out
No firewire
Microphone input (1/8")
Headphone output (1/8")

Price is right where you are shooting.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer003 View Post

I don't know if someone here can help or not, but here goes. I need a camera, the best camera for the money, and it can be SD or HD, but it must have component video out. Any cameras that people could suggest would be great. I won't be currently going HD with my video productions, but if the cost is worth it, I may buy the HD camera so I have those capabilities in the future. Thanks for any advice.

:Edit: I should add that my max budget is about 3000 dollars, but am shooting for more the 1000 to 1500 range. Again, if HD proves worth it, I may spend closer to 3000.

Blazer, your website isn't working you may want to check it.

I would recommend the HV20.

It has the component out that you want, plus HDMI, firewire, usb. It's the only camcorder out there with a true 1080p CMOS sensor giving it, IMO, the best picture quality of all the cameras in it's price range. Also it costs less then other brands so you have money left over all the stuff you can buy like lenses, tripods, etc. Plus it shoots to tape so you don't have to worry about your hard drive crashing and losing all our memories. It's really a great camera.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.G. View Post

Blazer, your website isn't working you may want to check it.

I would recommend the HV20.

It has the component out that you want, plus HDMI, firewire, usb. It's the only camcorder out there with a true 1080p CMOS sensor giving it, IMO, the best picture quality of all the cameras in it's price range. Also it costs less then other brands so you have money left over all the stuff you can buy like lenses, tripods, etc. Plus it shoots to tape so you don't have to worry about your hard drive crashing and losing all our memories. It's really a great camera.

i could be wrong, but i belive the hv20 is 1080i or 1080/60i, exactly the same as my hv10.

the hv20 does have a mode called '1080/24p'. but you can't output that directly.

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
post #5 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

i could be wrong, but i belive the hv20 is 1080i or 1080/60i, exactly the same as my hv10.

the hv20 does have a mode called '1080/24p'. but you can't output that directly.

/guy

Well, yes and no. Both the HV10 and HV20 have the same CMOS sensor. It is a true progressive sensor. If you plug the HV20 using HDMI into a 1080p TV and use the TV to monitor what the camera is seeing you will see a true 1080p image. If you record some shots, the 1080p at 24 frames a second is captured to tape if you shoot in 24p mode. It is "wrapped" so to speak, within a 60i recording. To "unwrap" the 1080p you would have to do a 3:2 pulldown and extract it. For this you would need the correct software on your computer, or if connected to a TV the TV would need to be able do 3:2 pulldown in real time. Unfortunately Canon did not build these features into the HV10 so the best you can get is 1080i from the sensor.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Well, yes and no. Both the HV10 and HV20 have the same CMOS sensor. It is a true progressive sensor. If you plug the HV20 using HDMI into a 1080p TV and use the TV to monitor what the camera is seeing you will see a true 1080p image. If you record some shots, the 1080p at 24 frames a second is captured to tape if you shoot in 24p mode. It is "wrapped" so to speak, within a 60i recording. To "unwrap" the 1080p you would have to do a 3:2 pulldown and extract it. For this you would need the correct software on your computer, or if connected to a TV the TV would need to be able do 3:2 pulldown in real time. Unfortunately Canon did not build these features into the HV10 so the best you can get is 1080i from the sensor.

that's interesting. i had decided not to upgrade from the hv10 to the hv20 based on some other differences that didn't seem to matter that much to me, such as the 24p mode and that i liked the small size and form factor of the hv10.

but i didn't realize you could get 1080p out of the hv20. not sure if that would have swayed my decision or not.

but that's only 1080p via the hdmi port for display, right? not firewire or the tape? you can't get 1080p into imovie for editing, is that correct? or to burn to a dvd unless you go through that pc pci card i've read about here?

are you saying the 1080i limitation on the hv10 is due to the component output? i think my 1080p lcd tv upconverts all incoming signals to 1080p, i wonder if you could see the difference if you had an hv10 and an hv20 both plugged into the monitor and were able to switch inputs for comparison.

thanks for the info,

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:

but that's only 1080p via the hdmi port for display, right? not firewire or the tape? you can't get 1080p into imovie for editing, is that correct? or to burn to a dvd unless you go through that pc pci card i've read about here?

You are correct. You can NOT get 1080p from tape or firewire.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latedate View Post

You are correct. You can NOT get 1080p from tape or firewire.

Again actually, yes and no.

Ok, so, yes, you are correct from HDMI is the only way to get the full 1920X1080p. But from tape you can still get 1440X1080p. It is still a true 1080p frame, but only 1440, not 1920. And to get it, you have to shoot in 24p mode and do the pulldown on your computer after like I mentioned.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:

that's interesting. i had decided not to upgrade from the hv10 to the hv20 based on some other differences that didn't seem to matter that much to me, such as the 24p mode and that i liked the small size and form factor of the hv10.

but i didn't realize you could get 1080p out of the hv20. not sure if that would have swayed my decision or not.

are you saying the 1080i limitation on the hv10 is due to the component output? i think my 1080p lcd tv upconverts all incoming signals to 1080p, i wonder if you could see the difference if you had an hv10 and an hv20 both plugged into the monitor and were able to switch inputs for comparison.

thanks for the info,

/guy

It's not the component out that's limiting it, as you can get 1080p out of the HV20 component out. It's the actual progressive recording feature Canon built into the HV20 and left out of the HV10.

If you're watching a picture that has been converted to 1080p by your TV you're not going to really see a huge difference worth the cost of trading in your camera. 1080i is still awesome. The HV10 is still an awesome camera. If you're just shooting family stuff it is great. If you're more into shooting short films and such, the HV20 is the way to go. The progressive frame is perfect for doing effects work and the camera has better lowlight capabilities than the HV10.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Again actually, yes and no.

Ok, so, yes, you are correct from HDMI is the only way to get the full 1920X1080p. But from tape you can still get 1440X1080p. It is still a true 1080p frame, but only 1440, not 1920. And to get it, you have to shoot in 24p mode and do the pulldown on your computer after like I mentioned.

My bad. You are correct. I misread the question. But I disagree with the pulldown. You probably meant to say *reverse* pulldown (also called pullup or inverse telecine or reverse telecine). The 24p video is encoded in 60i via pulldown. To acquire the 24p, you need to do the reverse.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 PM

thanks guys! i've learned more in this single thread than my week of browsing through the camcorder section of this forum.

i'm sticking with the hv10 since it's my first camcorder and i got it to teach myself some video fundamentals. at this beginning stage of the process i doubt i need the complications of how to set up a 24p workflow, for example. i just want to get it from my camera into imovie so i can learn simple editing and have a decent quality picture at the end for my 1080p lcd monitor. i'm on the fence on hd/blu-ray so i don't even need to burn hd dvd's yet.

leaving aside everything else, it seems the hv10 is one of the most compact and portable cameras with picture quality that rivals larger, more expensive units with at least enough manual controls you don't feel like it's a one-button wonder.

/guy

post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latedate View Post

My bad. You are correct. I misread the question. But I disagree with the pulldown. You probably meant to say *reverse* pulldown (also called pullup or inverse telecine or reverse telecine). The 24p video is encoded in 60i via pulldown. To acquire the 24p, you need to do the reverse.

Yep, that's what I meant. Good catch!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page