about time.

Thanks bigbarney.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
Old 04-26-2007, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I've been checking every few days to see if it is out. We have Vegas 7 in the office but I'm using the trial in my own computer, waiting for AVCHD support to be delivered before I lay out the $ for my copy.

Hopefully, this will get the format moving forward.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 3090
I want to see the quality of AVCHD in it's current state before getting too excited about this. I wonder if it is easy to edit, or are we back to Vegas 6 HDV performance. Still great to have Vegas be compatible with the latest format.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I want to see the quality of AVCHD in it's current state before getting too excited about this. I wonder if it is easy to edit, or are we back to Vegas 6 HDV performance. Still great to have Vegas be compatible with the latest format.

I would expect that it will be up to the normal vegas high quality standards but I would also expect it to be slower than HDV editing (Vegas is software driven). Pinnacle studio 11, out in another month, will offer avchd edit, but it's hardware driven and the minimum requirements aren't so minimum: core duo, 256M DX9 video card, 1.5gig mem.

To the other end of the comparative scale is Ulead MF6 (already out)... again software driven, but its avchd edit is quite limited.

Either way, it looks like avchd is beginning to fall in place and those who favor it will not be restricted for much longer.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

As an owner of Vegas 6 & 7 I would certainly view this as welcoming news. But it hardly addresses the AVCHD problem.

For those who value the PQ the most, the choice would still be HDV for now. And for those who are willing to trade slightly less PQ with AVCHD's added convenience they are unlikely to spend hours editing the footage in the post. What most prespective buyers of DVD or HDD cams want is the convenience of dragging the file off the disk or HDD and burning it onto a playable DVD. And that requires authoring software and HD player support, not the editing software. So far neither authoring software nor the HD player is available for AVCHD. I think for the foreseeable future AVCHD cam owners are almost required to buy an additional PS3 to play back their HD footages on an HDTV.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

As an owner of Vegas 6 & 7 I would certainly view this as welcoming news. But it hardly addresses the AVCHD problem.

For those who value the PQ the most, the choice would still be HDV for now. And for those who are willing to trade slightly less PQ with AVCHD's added convenience they are unlikely to spend hours editing the footage in the post. What most prespective buyers of DVD or HDD cams want is the convenience of dragging the file off the disk or HDD and burning it onto a playable DVD. And that requires authoring software and HD player support, not the editing software. So far neither authoring software nor the HD player is available for AVCHD. I think for the foreseeable future AVCHD cam owners are almost required to buy an additional PS3 to play back their HD footages on an HDTV.

I concur.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodobeHD View Post

So far neither authoring software nor the HD player is available for AVCHD. I think for the foreseeable future AVCHD cam owners are almost required to buy an additional PS3 to play back their HD footages on an HDTV.

Although i would agree with your avchd scenario overall, I would have to disagree with your complete view of avchd playback. The easiest thing to do is a straight copy from cam to disk and as you say, if this is to be done then one has no choice but to turn to the PS3. But avchd is not restricted to PS3 playback. Pinnacle studio, out in another month comes with hybrid hd dvd burn ability, and there is no reason avchd can not be rendered, authored and burned to hd dvd. In fact that's part of studio's advertising scheme.

I will also say that this new version of studio will be quite interesting to see. Traditionally, studio has been known for its stability problems, but Pinnacle was purchased by Avid (a big name in pro editing), and this will be the first release output for studio purely by Avid. They have claimed it to be more stable than previous releases and it even includes the new Avid liquid render engine. We'll see if Avid lives up to its name.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/studioultimatepreorder/
Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

It will indeed be interesting to see what the Pinnacle offers. There remains to be a big IF though. As everybody knows AVCHD is a proprietory format by Sony and Panasonic. So BD authoring should naturally include it in its specs, but there is no garrantee that Sony will let HDDVD group include AVCHD in its authoring specs with its licensing rules. Pinnacle's site only says it will edit AVCHD (like Vegas has) but it says nothing about authoring AVCHD into HDDVD. If I have to guess I'd say Sony would not license its competitor HDDVD group cheap or free AVCHD . Otherwise there is no point for people buying a BD product like a PS3.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, Avid is no small operation. If anybody is big enough to swing deals, it's them. You'll find the big boys in Hollywood using Avid systems. They even seem to be including Stagetools in the new studio version. Good program. Last version of stagetools I had cost me $300.