Canon TX1 - First Impressions & Sample Footage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Canon's little hybrid cam was supposedly pushed back until the end of May, but it has started to trickle out to some US dealers this week. There is a previous thread here that discusses some of the specs and gives links to some sample footage. It's basically a 7MP still camera with 720p-30fps video capability. I picked one up yesterday and have spent a few hours toying with it...

First off, this thing is small. It's a tiny bit larger than a pack of cigarettes or a deck of cards, and a bit thicker, but I was amazed at the size. Slips easily into a pocket. Some have complained about the ergonomics of the upright form-factor, but I had no problem handling it comfortably, and I'm 6'4" tall with hands to match.

Still pictures are excellent. The DCRP review rates them on par with the Canon S3 and I was very pleased with the shots that I took. But the big draw of this camera is the 720p video mode. So how good is it? Well, from the footage I shot today I would say that it's only as good as the samples that have been posted in the aforementioned thread. The clip of the streetcar from the DCRP review is pretty much what you can expect from the cam under optimal conditions, i.e. bright daylight conditions. Indoor footage gets noisy very quick if there isn't plenty of light. I owned the Panny TZ1 previously, which had an excellent video mode that would shoot widescreen vids at 848x480, and the TX1 video is definitely superior to it, but I don't think it's going to make anyone want to return their HV20.

The TX1 records in MJPEG format, which results in HUGE file sizes. You can get roughly 4 minutes of 720p-30fps video per 1GB, with a supposed 4GB limit on any one movie. I have found that the best way to play back these raw MJPEG .avi's is with Media Player Classic using the ffdshow MJPEG decoder. This also gives you the option of using the multitude of ffdshow filters that can spruce up the footage a bit.

I have just one clip of my own for now, a raw MJPEG avi. A short clip of a bright yellow bird I found outside my house (anyone know WTF kind of bird this is or did someone's pet get out of it's cage? LOL). The zoom was maxed for most of the shot and it's difficult to keep the cam rock-steady at full zoom, as you will see, but I did my best. I will post more footage later...

Had to use MegaUpload because it's 107MB...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GD35L7C7

Another clip, 171MB. A babbling brook.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1GSSIE3P

I should mention that both of these were shot around 6:00pm on an overcast day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Very cool, thanks for posting. I agree that although the stills are pretty good for the size of this camera (as seen in some reviews linked in the other thread), the movie mode is underwhelming compared to current HD camcorder offerings.

Just curious- where did you find the TX1 in stock, and are you going to keep it?
post #3 of 34 Old 04-29-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I have to disagree with DCRP review. The TX1 has a higher level of noise and also severe Chromatic Abberation from its lens. I own both and I'm glad I haven't ditched the S3 yet.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #4 of 34 Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 AM

I too have had good luck with tx1's stills but when comparing the hv10's video to the tx1's video, it was no contest - the hv10 actually looked like an HD picture.

So while I still want it all, I find myself looking at stills more & it is a bigger priority for me, so it's a pretty good solution for now. This is mostly cause I'm more likely to ACTUALLY have the tx1 with me (way portable) & likley not to have the hv10 (a beast) so it's hard to compare images that you have vs ones you don't... :-)

PS..has anyone ever done a comparo of still images across all consumer HD camcorders?
post #5 of 34 Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the rest, but I hate the TX-1 due to severe chromatic abberation, here's an example from HV-20

my home theatre

post #6 of 34 Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdow View Post

So while I still want it all, I find myself looking at stills more & it is a bigger priority for me, so it's a pretty good solution for now. This is mostly cause I'm more likely to ACTUALLY have the tx1 with me (way portable) & likley not to have the hv10 (a beast) so it's hard to compare images that you have vs ones you don't... :-)

I agree that the portability of the TX1 is what is most appealing. I owned the HV10 for a while but I found that I was more likely to leave it at home because I didn't want to be encumbered with a camera bag most of the time. I was in Chicago recently to visit a friend and I was thinking how nice it would have been to have had the TX1 - We were running around downtown for most of the day and there is no way I would have wanted to lug around a camcorder, but I could have toted the TX1 around comfortably in my pocket and I would have gotten some great 720p video of the places we went.

As far as the CA that the other poster mentioned, I haven't noticed any in the photos I have taken, but maybe I haven't looked closely enough.

All in all, I'm pretty satisifed with the camera and will probably keep it.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-02-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

mde71, don't look for it. If you don't notice it, then leave it alone. My eyes are a blessing and a curse for me. It's a blessing because I can see things like that (including compression artifacts, banding, etc) when I use it for work but it's a curse because I see those things all over the place (including the lens used for RED camcorder, the entire footage of BBC's Planet Earth)

my home theatre

post #8 of 34 Old 05-04-2007, 05:15 PM

I have a TX1 coming. I want to use it to make HD video to show on a HDTV, not a computer. My question is what way is there to show it on a HDTV besides directly from the camera? Is there any storage device available now to hold and show HDTV or do I have to wait on a recordable Blue Ray? Big hard drives are fairly cheap now and it would be no problem getting the video from the camera to it, but then what? Surely some way exists to go from a hard drive to component input.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Where did you purchase it? I really would like something small like this for my upcoming trip to Rome.
post #10 of 34 Old 05-05-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought mine from a local B&M store: amazingphoto.ca

my home theatre

post #11 of 34 Old 05-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks David. Anyone seen them available in the US?
post #12 of 34 Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingmd View Post

Thanks David. Anyone seen them available in the US?

J&R has preorder page for them for $499.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #13 of 34 Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 AM

I leave in 4 days so I was hoping to pick one up locally or order from a place and get next day shipping.
post #14 of 34 Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM

While I bought one 17 days ago, the day they came out and I took it on vacation. The resultant video files show major purple distortion when a bright contrast occurs, such as sunlight on water. It also appears on fireworks and purplishness is visible with bright sun beams.

The video is not bad otherwise, and the size can't be beat. But this major product defect renders the unit unuable to me, and I will be returning it. It's really a shame. Some on the internet think there is a product defect with the Auto White Balance function, it's not just my unit.

See the purple mess frame capture
post #15 of 34 Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

the purple mess is not AWB defect, it's something else completely (albeit it's still a big mess).

my home theatre

post #16 of 34 Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

the purple mess is not AWB defect, it's something else completely (albeit it's still a big mess).

What something else? Do you think it is something they can fix with a firmware update. I had my doubts so I returned while I still could. If Canon fixes the issue I might reacquire.

Also I noticed the camera has a tendenacy to lockup when taking flash pictures, requiring it to be turned off to recover. And the battery never made it to the end of 4GB SGHC card.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

nah, just leave the camera at the store for good. Even my 9yo daughter is complaining about the video capability of the TX1.

From what I see, it looks like sensor flare. That can't be fixed with firmware.

I love (mostly) anything Canon, but TX1 is a PoS, IMHO.

my home theatre

post #18 of 34 Old 05-09-2007, 03:42 AM

Got my TX1 from Amazon, and HD footage is decent. But it does looks MUCH better on my 50" plasma than on my computer playing through WMP11. Anyone know why?

Also, any ideas on how to store the footage? Should I leave it native and eat up my hard drive, or compress and store it as another file type. Thanks!
post #19 of 34 Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Try compressing with XviD using a bitrate of at least 8 Mbps. The free utility VirtualDub is great for trimming MJPEG clips from the Canon, and you can also compress directly to XviD from within it.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fontana View Post

Try compressing with XviD using a bitrate of at least 8 Mbps. The free utility VirtualDub is great for trimming MJPEG clips from the Canon, and you can also compress directly to XviD from within it.

So XviD is good enough for archival purposes? I'll try some edits this weekend. Hard to judge on my Laptop though, as the video looks much more noisy on it. Gotta see if XviD is supported in Vista Movie Maker? Also trying to figure out how to play this on my Plasma without the camera. Only figured out streaming from my laptop to my xbox360 as a WMV. And I'm much too poor to buy a blu-ray burner and player! Thanks!
post #21 of 34 Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 AM

I emailed Canon about what I considered to be the unacceptable purple smearing issue on the TX-1's video, and this is their response:

------------------------
Thank you for your E-mail inquiry.

There are no none issues with the PowerShot. Without samples to look it is difficult to determine the problem you were having but I suspect it was due to a bright light source. This would be considered normal in devices containing CCDs and does not constitute a malfunction. This effect will not be recorded when shooting still photos, but it will be recorded when shooting movies. When recording outdoors, we recommend shooting with the sun at your back.

This is even mentioned in your manual:

Problem: A bar of light (red, purple) appears on LCD.
Cause: This may occur when shooting a bright subject, such as the sun or a light.

Thank you for your feedback. Please also note that this may apply to any product which uses a CCD image sensor.

------------------------------------

So basically they are saying the TX-1 is expected to produce this purple smearing on it's video in bright light. And all CCD's do this they say, which is B.S. CCD's with Lens that do not have proper coatings to prevent this problem will do it. So basically Canon can shove this camera as far as I am concerned, it appears they are not going to fix it. I am glad I returned it now. Funny how I still got this effect on fireworks late at night (using the TX-1 Fireworks mode), the sun was on the other side of the planet at the time.
post #22 of 34 Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

that's what I've been saying at several forums and nobody takes me seriously.

my home theatre

post #23 of 34 Old 05-12-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:

that's what I've been saying at several forums and nobody takes me seriously.

I think it depends on how much you think it's a problem or not. I noticed it a lot last weekend when I was taking videos around New York where there's lots of buildings that reflect the sun. I wasn't impressed but I'm also just shooting for fun, so it's not a major issue for me.

There's a thread inside the lens housing on the camera, so we can only hope that Canon had some forethought for using this for filters or some such. Nothing's been announced yet, but fingers crossed.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-12-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilgy View Post

I think it depends on how much you think it's a problem or not. I wasn't impressed but I'm also just shooting for fun, so it's not a major issue for me.

Unfortunately the public that puts the their $500 USD down is not aware of this until they run into the problem and ruin their Vacation video. There should be a clear warning on the packaging. A small warning buried in the manual that most will never read does not cut it. I will probably not be buying a Canon product again. I saw no mention of this problem on that TX-1 Blog when I was looking to buy it, and that is a shame, if I had known I wouldn't now have a bunch of purple smeared vacation video files.
post #25 of 34 Old 05-12-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrockies View Post

I will probably not be buying a Canon product again.

I think this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. Anybody who thinks an HD camera for $500 can be without imperfection is delusional. I don't even expect a perfect HD camcorder when I bought a $3,000 XH-A1 or $1,000 HV-20.

my home theatre

post #26 of 34 Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I think this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. Anybody who thinks an HD camera for $500 can be without imperfection is delusional. I don't even expect a perfect HD camcorder when I bought a $3,000 XH-A1 or $1,000 HV-20.

First of all this is not an HD Video Camera in my opinion. The video is not bad when the light is not bright (but it's not HD), but unacceptable when it is. Canon however is marketing this as a HD Video Camera, when really it is nothing more than a new Digital Elph with a bigger zoom lens and a couple of new video file resolutions. It still has the same purple smearing that the other Digital Elphs exhibit in bright light with video. A real video camera (any, name any one) might produce a small amount of this effect but it is minimal because the lens is coated to prevent that from happening. I expect a product to work as it says it will, no where on the packaging or advertising does it warn the consumer to expect to purple smearing in bright light on their vacation videos, that's buried in a couple of lines in the 100+ page manual (that no one reads).

And perhaps the fact that you have chosen to insult people instead of just giving your opinion is why people, as you say, ignore you.
post #27 of 34 Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

not to defend Canon, but it's sold under the Powershot series banner. Thus making it a still camera with "bonus" HD capture capability. Even on their websites, the TX1 is part of "digital camera" and not "camcorder".

Maybe actually reading the website properly instead of attacking the wrong thing would do a lot of good.

quote from Canon website:

With the PowerShot TX1, Canon takes a futuristic wish-list and makes it a reality. This is an ELPH-sized camera with a whopping 10x optical zoom that not only captures 7.1 megapixel images, but HD movies, too! The stylish vertical design in stainless steel houses plenty of premium advancements including Optical Image Stabilizer Technology, DIGIC III Image Processor, Face Detection Technology and Red-eye Correction. And because you'll want to take this compact wonder everywhere, it's equipped with a built-in lens cover and tough new scratch-resistant, anti-reflective coating on the LCD screen.

IMO, the entire sales blurb of the TX is talking about its still camera capability and NOT video camera ability (which is only mentioned in passing).

my home theatre

post #28 of 34 Old 05-13-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrockies View Post

And perhaps the fact that you have chosen to insult people instead of just giving your opinion is why people, as you say, ignore you.

insult? saying that the camera has tonloads of chromatic abberation and purple fringing is an insult? I thought English is MY second languange.

my home theatre

post #29 of 34 Old 05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

insult? saying that the camera has tonloads of chromatic abberation and purple fringing is an insult? I thought English is MY second languange.

David,

I think bigrockies is responding to your post saying:

"I think this is a serious knee-jerk reaction. Anybody who thinks an HD camera for $500 can be without imperfection is delusional."

A little strong for a newbie

Welcome to AVS bigrockies,

David does add to our forums here with his experience.

I'm sure we can smooth this out.

I might give the TX1 a try and see if its something my wife can use.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #30 of 34 Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

My apology, Bigrockies and thank you Blasst for clearing this up. I honestly thought it's the "purple fringing and chromatic abberations" that's considered as rude. Upon further reflection, my comment's content, although warranted, is not necessary and it is rude.

For this I apologize.

my home theatre

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page