Aiptek Go-HD 720p / 5MP hybrid - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 225 Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I had some good success with mencoder which comes with mplayer. Here is a simple batch file to convert from an GO HD mov file to an mp4 AVI file which imported fine into MSP 7.0, DMF 6 and Vegas Movie Studio. Audio is in sync and no jutter in the video.

mencoder %1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=4000 -oac pcm -o %2

where %1 would be your GO HD file and %2 is your output file name or:
mov2mp4.bat file0001.mov file0001.avi

mencoder should be in the directory or the Windows directory or you can edit it to point to whatever directory you want to keep it in. The bitrate is a little low but when I raise it the audio went out of sync but I will try using a compressed audio format which might allow for a higher bitrate to eliminate any artifacts. I did not have much success when I select MPEG2 as the output format the video is slower so the audio gets ahead. I may also play with building a small gui program which calls the ffmpeg library for the conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 225 Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Brian for taking this on, I look forward to trying it.
post #93 of 225 Old 06-23-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I was mistaken about the higher bitrate throwing the audio sync off. It only did that in MPlayer itself which also listed a bunch of warnings when it played the higher bitrate clips. The Classic Media Player played those clips okay and the editing programs kept the audio in sync. So you can bump the bitrate up to 6000 no problem which gives clean video. Though I want to look into it some more mencoder and mplayer report a problem with B-Frames in the QT clips which if I recall the error I got with Vegas Movie Studio which is why we also might see the jutter with the VLC conversions.
post #94 of 225 Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

My HD set is 7 years old and only does 1080i but if you have a set that can handle both 720p and 1080i then obviously it will work. But not all sets will do that.

Definitely the advantage of this camera is the form factor as I can carry it with me anywhere in my pocket which is something I couldn't do with my HC1 . At this point in the game I'm not going to be too picky about the shortcomings I find.

An HD set that only displays 1080i (older CRT sets) should be able to accept 720P and transcode to 1080i. I believe the ATSC 'rules' stated all HD capable displays/sets should be able to accept and display all the approved formats which include 720P and 1080i....FWIW.
post #95 of 225 Old 06-23-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, my Pioneer SD-532HD5 only has 3 modes: 480i, 480p and 1080i. It is basically a monitor with an NTSC tuner built in and was released in 1999. There is no ATSC tuner and I suspect that mandate you are talking about only went into effect when HD tuners were mandated. In that case the electronics would be part of the tuner does the conversion. If I input a 720p signal then I get the image skewed horizontally because of the different timing.
post #96 of 225 Old 06-24-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks for tip.

mencoder is a definite way to do the conversions for editing.
Media studio pro edits those files nicely afterwards.
post #97 of 225 Old 06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. Here are a couple of GUIs for Mencoder that run on Windows so you can batch convert your files:

http://mewig.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsg/
post #98 of 225 Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Folks

I just got one of these yesterday. I also ordered a 8GB SD card from Newegg that was supposed to be Class 6. When the card arrived, the package says "class 6" but the card says "class 4". This would make me believe the card is a class 4 card. According to this guide, class 4 should work with HD recording. However, when I play back recorded videos via the component output, the result look "jumpy". I was just wondering if this could be due to the card, or I was wondering if the likely culprit could be my TV (an older Hitachi plasma monitor) not handling the 720p/30fps very well.

I have not tried to play this on my HTPC yet. I will try that later today.

P.S. Happy Independence Day to all the USA folks on the board.
post #99 of 225 Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

I just gave it a try on my HTPC and the results were even worse. I installed the K-Lite codec pack, copied off the file from camcorder onto the hard drive and played it in Media Player Classic. However, now I am starting to wonder if I am beyond the limits of my processor (Intel D805 - dual core 2.6ghz). I can watch HD off the tuner card with no problem, but this is a different beast. Or, is it the SD card?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

- Hal
post #100 of 225 Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Media Player Classic should play it okay. Did you uninstall QuickTime? Your processor is okay unless you have an on the board graphics chip as that might slow things down. The QT format that Aiptek is using is a bit of a weird beast. Maybe they'll fix it in their firmware updates.
post #101 of 225 Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Has anybody tried the 1.5 firmware? I'm running 1.1 and might try 1.5 this weekend.

See:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo..._id=92&page=21
post #102 of 225 Old 07-05-2007, 05:38 PM

I actually got 1.5 from Aiptek tech support. I haven't been able to extensively test it because I'm waiting on a new SD card. I was using a Transcend 8GB SDHC, but recently I get a constant "card protect"message whenever I try to record. I had to constantly eject and reinsert the card or repeatedly press the record button to get it to work. I've got a plain jane 1GB Sandisk that I recorded July 4th fireworks with and had no problems. Some claim better battery life, some claim less zoom noise being picked up by the mic.
post #103 of 225 Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobail View Post

I just gave it a try on my HTPC and the results were even worse. I installed the K-Lite codec pack, copied off the file from camcorder onto the hard drive and played it in Media Player Classic. However, now I am starting to wonder if I am beyond the limits of my processor (Intel D805 - dual core 2.6ghz). I can watch HD off the tuner card with no problem, but this is a different beast. Or, is it the SD card?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

- Hal

Try using the codec that you download from the aiptek website. It's newer than the one on the aiptek cd, and worked much better for me than the K-lite codec.
post #104 of 225 Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did you find that on the Aiptek website? I don't see any software there for the GO HD.
post #105 of 225 Old 07-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where did you find that on the Aiptek website? I don't see any software there for the GO HD.

Sorry - I got it from this thread:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95227

Note that when I unzipped it, it had multiple copies of the same file. I always took/kept the newer version (later date).

There's also a great thread here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...62&forum_id=92

They talk about using Dr. Divx to convert the files to Divx - I haven't tried that yet.
post #106 of 225 Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried Dr. Divx (2.0) long ago and it didn't like the files. They also mentioned the new version of Super C which I haven't tried yet. Probably it too is based on ffmpeg (as is Dr. Divx 2.0). However the mencoder route and the both GUIs for batch processing work fine.

The MP4Cam2AVI also mentioned which remuxes the file didn't get the video frame rate right. Some one mentioned on their Mac they ran it through QT which must have remuxed or fixed it. But without creating some good test files for sync who knows what they really got.
post #107 of 225 Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM

Do files from this camera import directly into Apple iMovie HD for editing??
post #108 of 225 Old 07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe a Mac user over one Steve's Digicam Forum (which is down at the moment) said he had to massage the file first with Quicktime before he brought it into iMovie.
post #109 of 225 Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Circuit City has this for a good price right now. 242 bucks.
post #110 of 225 Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM

Just picked this camera up and can say it works great on my Mac !

Just record then pop the SD card into a reader and copy the .mov file and quicktime plays it just fine. With QtPro I can edit the file like any other .mov file. I converted the hd video down to 320 using viddyup! just fine.

The picture is quite impressive and I love the 16x9 - the resolution is terrific and the price is great! 30 min of hd video on a normal 1gb sd card - not bad!

While sd camcorders may not be near as good as normal camcorders I just love making quick tapeless videos for computer playback which I think these things are great at. The HD video and color is very good for the price!

Since it is h2.64 I do believe imovie and the sorts will not work... but quicktime pro ver 7.16 had no problem playing back the video straight from the .mov file .

So if your a Mac user it will work right out of the box for you.
post #111 of 225 Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To get 10% off at Circuit City on this camera:
  • go here: http://www.aaa.com/circuitcity
  • use zip code 94804 or other California ZIP code
  • choose "enter as non-member" (option not available unless ZIP is in California)
  • enter your email address
  • coupon arrives in as as little as 30 minutes
  • order the camera at circuitcity.com and use 10% coupon code when checking out
  • coupon is also valid in-store and expires 12/31/2007
post #112 of 225 Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Thad the camera for a week, got the firmware update from Aiptek, tried to load it, and it fried the camera. This happen to anyone else?

By the way, I was able to import right into imovie but not Final Cut.
post #113 of 225 Old 08-04-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a replacement camera from Aiptek and it has the 1.5 firmware. They seem to have improved the QT wrapper and Nero Vision no longer renders the footage with the black sidebars. So something in the old wrapper made Nero think frames needed to be clipped. OTOH they still need work for more compatibility with other NLEs.
post #114 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 AM

Brian, how's the audio?

I have a 1.1 that I've upgraded to 1.5, but the audio still stinks. I'm hoping they might have fixed it some other way.
post #115 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

On a side note, can some tell me how to get XP to recognize a 8GB sdhc card? I see this Microsoft KB entry tells of a hotfix (from May 17), http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428 but I have no idea how to install it or if it is already installed.

I recorded some video last night, got home and decided to use the card reader rather then plugging in the cam directly into the USB. XP decided to reformat the card and I lost everything. GRRR...

This card reader I have integrated with the case and uses an XP driver. Could the problem be with the reader?

Thanks
-Hal
post #116 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobail View Post

This card reader I have integrated with the case and uses an XP driver. Could the problem be with the reader?

Many readers support SD cards but not SDHC cards (like mine, for example). Check the manufacturer's website to see if there were any driver updates for your reader that added SDHC support. You are probably stuck using your camcorder.
post #117 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccking View Post

Brian, how's the audio?

I have a 1.1 that I've upgraded to 1.5, but the audio still stinks. I'm hoping they might have fixed it some other way.

Can someone post the direct link to this firmware upgrade? Are you finding it under a different model number? The instructions for upgrading would also be helpful. Previously there have been posts to the discussion about the firmware, but there's not been a direct link to the web page at Aiptek. Sorry, I am just baffled by all of this.

Mine is clearly a Go-HD, but the specific model (located under the battery) says DAM-Z5X.

I would not look for the audio to ever get better related to the close of physical proximity of the zoom motor, buttons, etc to the microphone. But, I could be wrong.

Nowhere in the manual that I got with mine (from Amazon.com some 2 months ago) does it talk about firmware upgrades so I don't have anything to go on.

Thanks. Ken
post #118 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccking View Post

Brian, how's the audio?

The audio was fine with normal room audio but a video of a rock band playing outdoors had overdriven audio. Perhaps if I put something to muffle the microphone in those situations it might help. The camera needs an AGC setting on it.
post #119 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kculp View Post

Can someone post the direct link to this firmware upgrade? Are you finding it under a different model number? The instructions for upgrading would also be helpful. Previously there have been posts to the discussion about the firmware, but there's not been a direct link to the web page at Aiptek. Sorry, I am just baffled by all of this.

Mine is clearly a Go-HD, but the specific model (located under the battery) says DAM-Z5X.

I would not look for the audio to ever get better related to the close of physical proximity of the zoom motor, buttons, etc to the microphone. But, I could be wrong.

Nowhere in the manual that I got with mine (from Amazon.com some 2 months ago) does it talk about firmware upgrades so I don't have anything to go on.
Thanks. Ken

The upgrades have been found on the German Aiptek site where indeed the camera has a different model number. The US site is mum on the issue. You can find information and links on the Steve's Digicam Forum:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=569962
Try it at your own risk though.
post #120 of 225 Old 08-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:

The upgrades have been found on the German Aiptek site where indeed the camera has a different model number. The US site is mum on the issue. You can find information and links on the Steve's Digicam Forum:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=569962
Try it at your own risk though.

Yes, I know about the thread .. it is 25 pages long and the search tools are very non-specific to the thread. I found the German web site. What model number are you downloading? I wonder why the model numbers are changing between countries. Is the resulting install in English?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page