Aiptek Go-HD 720p / 5MP hybrid - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 225 Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will a high speed SD card help at all with the choppiness of moving pictures on this camera. If not what will and finally what advantage does a high speed SD card offer over standard?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 225 Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainec33 View Post

No, it is only supposed to start when you hit the red recording button, so it needs to be sent back. I occasionally have a problem with the aiptek not turning off (the blue light stays on) but I just re-insert the sd card (which the manufacturers blame this for) and it is fine.

The main thing is that I have now got a brilliant encoding program recommended by Aiptek which has a nice player and it joins the .mov clips to one large one if you want ( joined 41 clips), or to whatever you would like. You can also burn it direct to disc as vob files or to the hard drive. It's called Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, if anyone has a problem acquiring it let me know and I will help out.

Pretty Please provide a clue as to how to get the program with out ordering a $500+ Blueray drive?

Thanks!
post #183 of 225 Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Did you try www.arcsoft.com?
post #184 of 225 Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried playing the.mov files through the PS3 SD card slot? If I can play the video files through my PS3 card slot without re-rendering the video file I would be extatic!

When in doubt use the spoiler tag "[$poiler] Spoiler text [/spoiler]"

Xbox: Swift Mojo Hand
PSN: SwiftM0j0Hand
post #185 of 225 Old 10-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mojo Hand View Post

Has anyone tried playing the.mov files through the PS3 SD card slot? If I can play the video files through my PS3 card slot without re-rendering the video file I would be extatic!

Guess no one has a PS3 - Don't blame'em.
post #186 of 225 Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You can also play the files via component off the camera. It comes with a component cable for that.
post #187 of 225 Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 PM

Liked: 13
Anyone had the LCD screen just quit working?
-Cam

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist
Cam Communications Cinema Palace Construction Thread
Cam's Whole House AV and Automation Thread

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #188 of 225 Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainec33 View Post

No, it is only supposed to start when you hit the red recording button, so it needs to be sent back. I occasionally have a problem with the aiptek not turning off (the blue light stays on) but I just re-insert the sd card (which the manufacturers blame this for) and it is fine.

The main thing is that I have now got a brilliant encoding program recommended by Aiptek which has a nice player and it joins the .mov clips to one large one if you want ( joined 41 clips), or to whatever you would like. You can also burn it direct to disc as vob files or to the hard drive. It's called Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, if anyone has a problem acquiring it let me know and I will help out.

Just received my Go-HD from Tiger Direct. No editing software included of course. I do see on wwwdotaiptekdotcom under Replacement Parts>Drivers & Software that the Arc-Soft Total Media Extreme for the A-HD is available for 2.99 plus shipping/etc. Unfortunately it's only available in the US, and not available to Canada. It looks like a cost effective way to get into working with the data that the Go-HD stores.
BTW, is anyone interested in helping me obtain a copy of this software? Cross border shopping can be real pain! PM me please.
post #189 of 225 Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info on the availability of Total Media Extreme from Aiptek. I had been looking for it and did not want to pay $179 for it. ot it shipped from Aiptek for less than $10. It is to be delivered today...I'll try it out and post back.
post #190 of 225 Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantLB View Post

Just received my Go-HD from Tiger Direct. No editing software included of course. I do see on wwwdotaiptekdotcom under Replacement Parts>Drivers & Software that the Arc-Soft Total Media Extreme for the A-HD is available for 2.99 plus shipping/etc. Unfortunately it's only available in the US, and not available to Canada. It looks like a cost effective way to get into working with the data that the Go-HD stores.
BTW, is anyone interested in helping me obtain a copy of this software? Cross border shopping can be real pain! PM me please.

I ordered this software, the shipping was 3 times the cost of the product! Also, was concerned that no encryption icon appeared in the browser window despite being VeriSign certified. In any case, tried to call tech support to make sure this will work with the Go-HD and I am was put on hold. I am really skeptical.
post #191 of 225 Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mojo Hand View Post

I went ahead and ordered the A-HD1 and answered my own question. No, the PS3 cannot decode the H.264 video codec. I use a program called PS3 video 9 to convert the video to a format compatible with the PS3. I really am happy with the results. The video is defiantly a step above any SD camcorder.

When in doubt use the spoiler tag "[$poiler] Spoiler text [/spoiler]"

Xbox: Swift Mojo Hand
PSN: SwiftM0j0Hand
post #192 of 225 Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM

I got the software mentioned above (A-HD is available for 2.99 plus shipping/etc) .. this is a NON-LINEAR editor (VERY, VERY BASIC). It allows you to do a sequence of cuts and transitions in merging files together and exports to quicktime. I took the exported file and tried to import into Adobe's Preimere and it didn't take. I think the solution for editing is still QuickTime Pro to be honest and don't know if the software order from Aiptek was really worth it.
post #193 of 225 Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone2530 View Post

Thanks for the info on the availability of Total Media Extreme from Aiptek. I had been looking for it and did not want to pay $179 for it. ot it shipped from Aiptek for less than $10. It is to be delivered today...I'll try it out and post back.

Have you received it yet? Tried it out? Looking for feedback on whether it's worth the effort....
post #194 of 225 Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Have you received it yet? Tried it out? Looking for feedback on whether it's worth the effort....

Yes, I have recieved it and tried it out. It DOES allow you to join the files together AND keep the same file format. This was what I was looking for.

Could it be more user friendly? - Yes....but for $3 it was worth it for the ability to join the files together without having to transcode them...I also wanted to keep the same file format they came in.

You can use the software to make some edits and add titles...etc...But I have not gone that far yet. - I just wanted to get rid of playing 15-30 secs of video on my Media Center...and then having to click a different file.

Hope this helps.
post #195 of 225 Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Does it retain the codec information so you can play back the joined files on the A-HD? That's what is missing, the ability to edit and save in the Ambarella AVC1 codec that the A-HD will play.
post #196 of 225 Old 12-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Does it retain the codec information so you can play back the joined files on the A-HD? That's what is missing, the ability to edit and save in the Ambarella AVC1 codec that the A-HD will play.

YES, the program works to join files. BUT WHY GET THIS? I have it and am not impressed. It is worth $3.99 but they get $10 shipping.

Do a search for a program called MP4Cam2AVI and you will see it is great and it is free and you don't need to wait for it to ship. It will convert your files to AVI and you can use them in any video editor. With this other program you can only use it in the VERY BASIC ARCSOFT editor which is linear, has no time line and basic cut, join, and a few transitions. IT ISN'T WORTH IT, trust me I am speaking as a user of this program.

I've ruined so much video following the advice here in this thread. I've tried mencoder too. If I could go back I would retract what I said about MENCODER.

GET THE the program MP4Cam2AVI here and your problems will go away - just import to your favorite editor (IT DOESN'T RECODE AND KEEPS THE ORIGINAL HIGH DEF SETTINGS OF YOUR CAM). If you want to join files, it is easy and has a batch join command:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/
post #197 of 225 Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't play the AVI files from MP4Cam2AVI in the A-HD. It will want a MOV wrapper. The point I'm asking about is does the ArcSoft editor create a Quicktime file from the joined files that will play on the Aiptek itself?

As for editors I've used many of them and currently since I already own it the latest 2.5 version of VideoStudio 11 Plus handles the A-HD QT files just fine plus you have lots of effects you can use too and you can even create HD-DVD or BluRay disks. What it won't do is create a Quicktime file that can be played on the A-HD. That I would suspect has to at least have an AVC1 codec and it may be looking for the Ambarella indicator too.
post #198 of 225 Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 PM

when i playback my files from the aiptek go hd on my computer, the colors are all messed up and seem to be flourescent. This only happens when they are the hd size....the other sizes are normal colored. Is it my computer or what??????..........any help would be great...thanks
post #199 of 225 Old 12-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

You can't play the AVI files from MP4Cam2AVI in the A-HD. It will want a MOV wrapper. The point I'm asking about is does the ArcSoft editor create a Quicktime file from the joined files that will play on the Aiptek itself?

From my experience with the ArcSoft Total Media Extreme Studio MV and the GO-HDD, it will allow you to join [merge] the files and do an export with the same characteristics of the original file, so that you can either reload it into the Editor to make a DVD, or copy back to the SD for in-camera Playback. The only downfall is it does take time to join them together, and if you have a lot of files to join, it could take awhile.

Now, does anybody know how to turn off the graphics on a "Video Play" of all files throught the AV output? I can play one clip without any time/OSD, but if you try to play multi-clips, the least you can see, is the current clip number/total clips, and the "Stop" Icon. I would like to do a mass copy of all clips to my Hauppauge TV capture card to do a MPG capture. But is useless if every clip captures with time code info displayed on screen.....possibly a firmware update?

Any "quick" solutions ?
post #200 of 225 Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kculp View Post

YES, the program works to join files. BUT WHY GET THIS? I have it and am not impressed. It is worth $3.99 but they get $10 shipping.

Do a search for a program called MP4Cam2AVI and you will see it is great and it is free and you don't need to wait for it to ship. It will convert your files to AVI and you can use them in any video editor. With this other program you can only use it in the VERY BASIC ARCSOFT editor which is linear, has no time line and basic cut, join, and a few transitions. IT ISN'T WORTH IT, trust me I am speaking as a user of this program.

I've ruined so much video following the advice here in this thread. I've tried mencoder too. If I could go back I would retract what I said about MENCODER.

GET THE the program MP4Cam2AVI here and your problems will go away - just import to your favorite editor (IT DOESN'T RECODE AND KEEPS THE ORIGINAL HIGH DEF SETTINGS OF YOUR CAM). If you want to join files, it is easy and has a batch join command:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

Ok, kculp,
You Frigg'n RULE!

This program is works 1,000x better than the Arcsoft program!!!

As a review: My needs were for a clip joiner without recoding - keeping the HD quality..

Kculp for President!

Thanks so much for sharing this info!
post #201 of 225 Old 12-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Glad you like it. I will put one disclaimer: can't import these clips into Premiere Elements 3, but I am able to edit them in Nero's Vision.
post #202 of 225 Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:

i remember the video file format is .mov, apple's mp4 format. you can play back by using vlc from videolan.org at your pc. vlc is open source software. you can get binary code(application) or source code at cost of $0.00.
go-hd uses A2 chip(SOC) from Ambarella.
post #203 of 225 Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Evidently one can edit Aiptek files in VideoStudio 11 Plus with these directions:

http://www.aiptek.com/videotips.htm

● First, you will need to set your project properties to HD 720p.
● Open “Video Studio Editor”; you will need to click on “File” and then “Project Properties”.
● Click “Edit” go to “Compression” tab – Change from “NTSC” to “MPEG-2” – Slide the quality bar to the right = 100%.
● Click “General” tab – change the “Frame Size” to “1280x720”, this will keep your video at the true HD resolution.
● You may now import and edit your videos.

When you’re finished editing and adding your extra touches you can either burn to DVD or save the edited file.

● Save to the HD 720p WMV Windows Media Video format which will keep your HD resolution and quality.
● The WMV format will also allow you to import the file into other editing and burning programs.
● Also great for uploading your edited files online, such as Youtube.com.
● Built-in XP and Vista program “Windows Movie Maker” and many other DVD burning programs also read the WMV file format.
post #204 of 225 Old 01-02-2008, 12:07 AM

to kculp or brian.....or anybody that can help,

I have the go-hd... when i download the files to the computer and then try and watch them, their colors are all flourescent????? it only does this with the 1280x720 resolution....the pictures' colors are fine and the lower resolution ones are normal too

And other than that I have tried converting the files to .avi by using the MP4Cam2AVI but then i went to watch them on windows media player and all i got was the sound....no video..... I also tried pullin up the converted files in my pinnacle studio and it took all the audio and only some select few seconds of video out of a 30 seconds clip

Aaannnnnnnddddddd..... when i try to shoot when it is relatively dark...i get an eerie blue static in the video that is in the darkest spots of the shot

My gf got me the camera so i can piece together some videos with some music.......but everything seems to go wrong when i try.....Should i send it back and have them try to fix it and hope i just got a screwy one? or can anybody help me with my problems???????

Thanks
post #205 of 225 Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 AM

There's a codec that came on your CD with the Aiptek, but it really doesn't work as well as the K-lite pack that you can download and install here free:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

INSTALL EVERYTHING in this codec, it is OK. I use the "Media Player Classic" to play the Aiptek files (this is included in the codec, it will take a little while to download but it is the best thing for using you camera and playing files). I would installl the "full" pack - not the basic one.

Use the "MP4Cam2AVI" program when you are going to edit videos. I find it works best with the Nero Vision program (this is the DVD burning software that has a mp4 codec as well).

There's a white balance that you flip with the toggle switch and it changes the icon on the screen from auto, sunny, tungsten, florescent etc. I bet you had it set on the wrong setting when you shot video. It is fairly easy to adjust on the "Fly" and you don't need to go into the menu settings to do it. I try to find something white in the scene you are shooting and just toggle it till you get the best accuracy on color before you shoot.

In general, I think the blue tones will go away in video playback with the k-lite codec installed for playback. The pictures won't improve with the codec, that is a user defined white balance issue. I would keep the Aiptek, it is a good camera. The sound is terrible, but the video is crystal clear. The problem is the non-Mac world really hasn't grasped H.264 video encoding and the editing programs don't really use this format either so importing files into the traditional video editors is poor. This will be better in the new releases of the software during 2008. There may also be optional codecs for some software packages too. Good luck!
post #206 of 225 Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM

Can anyone update me on the sound issue. I heard the sound was almost completely unusable....almost like being outside at the beach on a windy day. Can anyone confirm this?
post #207 of 225 Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The microphone clips on loud sounds but that can be you saying something to someone while shooting. It appears that Aiptek went a little cheap on the microphone or the automatic volume control algorithm. Some of the hobbyists have hacked their own microphones to the camera. I suspect if Aiptek is going to fix anything in the next model (probably introduced next week at CES) it will have better audio as they've been beat up over this. Both HD models have this problem.
post #208 of 225 Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I have both the Go-HD and A-HD cameras. Bought one retail and the other off Ebay. Both work fine if you take precautions to use proper techniques when filming. I wonder if someone could point me in the direction to find out more specific information about the modification of the audio on these things. I would even be happy to have it turned off completely for what I'm doing.

FWIW I'm pretty impressed with the video. I already had several different editors and converters and most work fine with the original codec.

Doing some quick comparisons between the two I've come to this conclusion. (purely a guess on my part) I belive the first one out was the GO-HD. This had an optical 3x zoom lens. However the mechanical noise produced by the zoom mechanism is picked up by the microphone. Plus I believe the optics might be less than best, in favor of being able to provide an optical zoom. This camera doesn't perform as well in low light scenarios as it's newer (and cheaper) A-HD cousin.

Comparing them I find the A-HD to do a better job with low light environments. Also, there is less noise in low light as compared with the Go-HD model. Also they went to a digital zoom (ugh) instead of an optical. This of course completely solves the mechanical zoom noise, but being a digitally produced zoom makes for pretty poor quality. I believe that is mostly because of the smallish lens. (in general the bigger the optics the better light capture capability)

I also believe the A-HD to be a little better at low light (with less noise) than the GO-HD. Possibly their switch from an optical zoom to a non-optical zoom may have resulted in a slightly better lense and thus using a lower ISO figure with less noise.

Right now, I'd have to say that the better camera is the A-HD, if you can live without a zoom. I mount my camera on a 35mm grip. And then use the remote to start and stop them. The grip adds a little weight to it, and makes it a little easier to hold steady. The remote means I don't have to fumble around trying to depress that silly front mounted record button on the A-HD that some of us with normal size hands have difficulty finding. The Go-HD as a more accessable record button on its back.

I'm setting up to do a sided by side comparison of each camera capability. I'll post results here when I get finished with that.

One final note. I have not had any problem converting the original MOV h.264 to HD Mpeg-2 transport streams or DVD proper mpeg-2. BUT the final quality is very dependant on the software being used. Some do a better job than other it seems.

Rich
post #209 of 225 Old 01-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Rich A -

Can you tell me what video editor you are using to edit NATIVE *.MOV files from the camera? I have to run the raw file through the previously described software before I can use it. I take it you don't have an iMAC as the Apple software does do a better job, but I am on the MS Windows side. Thanks.
post #210 of 225 Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kculp View Post

Rich A -

Can you tell me what video editor you are using to edit NATIVE *.MOV files from the camera? I have to run the raw file through the previously described software before I can use it. I take it you don't have an iMAC as the Apple software does do a better job, but I am on the MS Windows side. Thanks.

No Macs here. I'm sorta stuck in a love/hate relationship with MS and the PC world. I've been a long time user of the Womble Mpeg Video Wizard. I input the native *.mov file as is, edit it and output the result to DVD proper Mpeg-2. I didn't say I was editing the raw files but rather converting them. But the Womble editor will take the native MOV and will edit it. I haven't tried saving the edited file in anything other than *.mp4 or DVD Mpeg-2

It has just about everything else including a proper *mp4 h.264 video. That's what I've been using in my HTPC for those movies of the grandkids.

Another editor that you might check out is the "Edit Studio 5". Look for it at www.mediachance.com I've been using that editor as well as the MVW and the rendered files are pretty impressive. And another (converter only) that will work with those *.mov is the AVS Video Converter.

Of all the various converters, editors etc. I've got here the best looking raw MOV to DVD proper Mpeg-2 is rendered using that "Edit Studio 5". I also like the Mediachance DVD authoring program.

I just picked up the Edit Studio 5 and haven't played enough with it to see if it will import AND render the original raw MOV from this camera. They offer a "trial" version that is fully enabled and only adds a water mark to the output video. I like that for testing as opposed to other trials that only let you play with 2 or 3 minute long segments.

Rich
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page