Aiptek Go-HD 720p / 5MP hybrid - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 225 Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never heard of Womble before, interesting. I didn't try Edit Studio 5, but quickly downloaded Womble and in the preview window native MOV files didn't play smoothly. When I created a DVD of a quick clip, that didn't play well either. This is on a Vista machine so that may have been part of it. The interface is a little rough, But, I didn't play with Womble that much really .. just a quick test with the trial version. I'll take a look at Edit Studio 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 225 Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Brian, Back in December you asked "Does it retain the codec information so you can play back the joined files on the A-HD? That's what is missing, the ability to edit and save in the Ambarella AVC1 codec that the A-HD will play."
Have you found a solution for this? I would like to use my A-HD to play video files that I copy to it from my PC. Currently, I am messing with a bunch of settings in'total video converter' but the best I can do is the A-HD LCD shows a thumbnail square with an X in it. It would be nice to play the video on the A-HD out the component cables to my HD TV. Thanks.
post #213 of 225 Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink298 View Post

Brian, Back in December you asked "Does it retain the codec information so you can play back the joined files on the A-HD? That's what is missing, the ability to edit and save in the Ambarella AVC1 codec that the A-HD will play."
Have you found a solution for this? I would like to use my A-HD to play video files that I copy to it from my PC. Currently, I am messing with a bunch of settings in'total video converter' but the best I can do is the A-HD LCD shows a thumbnail square with an X in it. It would be nice to play the video on the A-HD out the component cables to my HD TV. Thanks.

I've been playing with my A-HD and so far it has been a struggle to get the any kind of edited original source BACK into the camera so it will play. What I have been doing is to simply edit the source video using Womble and save it supposedly in it's original format (an h.264 MOV) When I do that I can play the edited material in any player capable of decoding that format. But NOT with the camera itself. I have a lot of utilities to work with Mpeg-2 where I can dissect every part and parcel of it, (headers, I,P,B frames, muxing rates etc.) But this new mpeg-4 h.264 codec isn't compatible with any of them.

I've recorded two short clips from the camcorder and simply joined them with about 3 or 4 different editors. Nothing else was done. Yet when the finished final clip was put back into the camera, it is not usable. (get the no-go thumbnail mentioned earlier)

I have a couple editors that give me a pretty fair amount of custom settings for the h.264 codec. And all the editors seem to be rendering the entire movie. So I guess there is some header or parameter that just doesn't match up with what the camcorder is expecting.

Actually I really have no need to play back the edited clips via the camera and usually archive them to disk or put them on the HTPC library disk. But it is interesting and I'd like to see why.

What would help would be some kind of utility that could dissect the original *.MOV and show all the header information and stream parameters. I'm thinking if we could find that out, then we may be able to use one of the editors that allow us to customize the parameters.

The only other thing might be that Aiptek is putting some kind of flag in the header that gets nuked during the rendering of the edited original. And the playback firmware in the Aiptek is looking for that information.

I HAVE taken clips off the SD card and copied them to various disks and computers and then copied them back to the SD card without modifying them. And they work fine. Ya jes can't edit the darn things. And I have exactly matched what little information any of my editors can glean from the original. Mostly frame size, video and audio bit rates, sampling rates, etc.

BTW, if you are putting them back into the camera you have to use the file naming as per the original. Ie. Filexxxx.mov. I took a file named FILE0001.MOV and renamed it FILE0005.MOV and it worked fine. But changing the name to something like "TEST.MOV" doesn't work at all. You'll get that unknown file icon.

Rich
post #214 of 225 Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here you will find A-HD samples that I have been posting. There are still clips left to post so keep your eyes open.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=113211

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #215 of 225 Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I received the new HDDV disk I ordered from Aiptek ($2.99 + shipping and handling). It includes a version of Total Media Extreme which can write a MOV file that the A-HD and GO HD will play. My test file was a WMV file and it converted it perfectly to an A-HD playable file. I did note that the only media files it excepts are AVI, MOV, WMV and MP4, no MPEG files.
post #216 of 225 Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM

As time gone by
a preamp mic can be modded will correctthe aweful sound. the firmware from the company wil lalso lower and correct issues only from the company you send in thecam it gets loaded you get a better firmware.

soon the new CES 2008 show releases a few models with a faster fps and a beefed up firmware no fixs to the sound BOO-HOO
post #217 of 225 Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 PM

News Flash! I have been experimenting with Nero Vision in the Nero 8 ultra package and you can import and directly edit G0-HD files! This has been a favorite in my book - Nero Recode (those who don't know this is a DVD-R burning package). I seldom actually use Nero for burning - just the Nero "recode" codec. Lately, I've been using a digital media server so don't have a need for DVDs as I make files.

When you use Nero I would not recommend exporting out in true "HD" just use "cinema."

What is the point?

I was able to skip a step here in using Aiptek's Total Media Extreme rending program (above). Before, I had to run my native Go-HD file through that before I could even edit.
post #218 of 225 Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM

hi is there anyway to use an external mic with this camera through the USB port?
post #219 of 225 Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 AM

Hey folks. I have a go-hd and love it. My friend just got one, and her's has a couple new features-- a "voice notes" mode, still images up to 8MP (i don't know if the sensor is capable of that or if it's via some ******** onboard processing), and I believe the a/v jack has some enhanced functionality-- some sort of video import capability.

I just upgraded from firmware version 1.1 to 1.5, expecting to get her features-- but I see none. The upgrade was successful, in terms of what the camera reports as its firmware version.

So I guess my friend has newer hardware? Does anyone else have 8MP and voicenotes?

I should note-- her go-hd went bad, and she had them ship her a new one, and the replacement has the new features-- BUT, this was via Amazon and not the vendor, so it's unlikely that she "accidentally" got a new hardware rev or some such thing.
post #220 of 225 Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM

I just purchased the GO-HD, I noticed when using Roxio easy media creator 10 I don't get the audio just the video when trying to edit the file or when I burn a DVD is this because the audio bitrate is on the Go-HD is 32k, or is the a setting in Roxio I need to adjust?
post #221 of 225 Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas47 View Post

I just purchased the GO-HD, I noticed when using Roxio easy media creator 10 I don't get the audio just the video when trying to edit the file or when I burn a DVD is this because the audio bitrate is on the Go-HD is 32k, or is the a setting in Roxio I need to adjust?

That is just the beginning of your trouble, the native GO-HD files are all around difficult to edit on Windows machines. Even if you had the sound fixed there would be other problems. Of course, I don't use Roxio so can't say for sure. There's some responses here under my name on how to edit files if you want to search here. The shortcut answer is the latest version of Nero (also a burner software package) or I think these edit well with an iMac. I don't think the problems are unique to GO-HD, the encoding and editing of AVC or H.264 files is just a bit complex and the Windows platform is just now starting to catch up - Macs have been there for awhile.
post #222 of 225 Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kculp View Post

....a bit complex and the Windows platform is just now starting to catch up - Macs have been there for awhile.

Hey ain't that the truth with everything
post #223 of 225 Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas47 View Post

Try renaming the extension from MOV to MP4. Sony's Movie Studio Platinum 8 has the same problem. Also Aiptek on their website is offering a special edition ArcSoft's Total Media Extreme for $2.99 plus S+H and it can not only edit and create DVDs of the files but also create edited ones that can be put on the camera's memory card and played or on an HD set with the component out.
post #224 of 225 Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Just picked up a GO-HD refurb from aiptek.com for $99. I also got the 11 mo warranty for an extra $10 as well.

So far so good, thanks for all the great tips posted here. I'm already using MP4Cam2AVI.

Does anyone know of any firmware updates besides the 1.5 posted earlier? Aiptek didn't seem to have much on their site aside from the basic documentation that comes with the camcorder.
post #225 of 225 Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, my Go HD is now dead at just over 1 year. I never had a great experience with this camcorder but was satisfied for the $$$'s and the form factor. For people who have had this cam, what are you now using? Have you graduated to more expensive cams or the newer Aiptek products? I need to get a new cam and am just stating to think about what's next.

Thanks in advance.
-Hal
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page