Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi guys,

I recently bought a HV20 and was trying to convert our family reunion I filmed in hd to sd then burn it to sd-dvd. I have a stand alone LG dvd recorder that has a dv input. It sees and controls the HV20 but when I try to play back video the HV20 tells me the video I have is restricted and it won't play. With my old non-hd panasonic mini-dv cam I could just plug and burn thru the LG recorder.

I have it burning now using the HV20's composite video out but the quality is BAD.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ken, Just to clarify, you have your playback from HV20 set as DV output first? If so and you are still getting this message, I think it has to do with how Canon camcorder record. I ran into this with a friend of mine who own a GL2, does a regular recording, then try to play it back to a settop DVD recorder (not LG, but Proton or something like that) and got that message. I shared a tape that was recorded in my Vx2000 and he played back using varioius camcorders to the recorder and it was able to record. Weird, very weird. Perhaps, you should call Canon and ask them if there is a trick to the recording or playback.

Perry
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As best as I can figure I had it set to dv out. I flipped through the manual and it shows a chart for dv connections. It shows that it "locks out" any hdv taped material when output to an sd-dv device via the digital dv terminal. I can understand for copyrighted stuff but this is just a simple non protected home video.

Am I missing something?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 AM

Ken -- I had the same problem at first. My fix was to change the DV output setting to "DV Locked". I followed the chart on page 70 of the manual in the section "recording to a vcr or digital video recorder."
post #5 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDMANnyc View Post

Ken -- I had the same problem at first. My fix was to change the DV output setting to "DV Locked". I followed the chart on page 70 of the manual in the section "recording to a vcr or digital video recorder."

Yep that got it...thanks for the help!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
LBL

Hi Ken:

I have the same setup as you. I am trying to record but when I connect my HV20 to the LG I am getting an "updating the information" message and it just hangs there and won't go away. It is at the bottom left part of the tv screen. Would you happen to have come across this? Could you provide some help please?

Thanks a bunch.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've never got that message lbl. I can get it to record using sandman's instructions but I still have play back issues with the burned discs so for whatever reason I just don't think my LG recorder likes the Canon.

Luckily I don't have to make too many sd copies.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 AM
LBL

Fixed. Just when I was about to give up, turned out to be that I had the camcorder on P. Switched to AUTO and it worked fine.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
LBL

Had to return the LG cause it was behaving erratically. For ex. there were plenty of times when it would not record anything off the HV20 after going through the entire copy cycle, and since this was only evidenced at the end of this process and the burning is 1:1, it was a real ordeal whenever this happened. Most likely I think this was a compatibility issue. I got a Panasonic as replacement and so far I have made 5 discs and all without any errors. The interface is also much better and smoother.

FWIW.

Cheers!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
LBL

Awesome. I recommend the Panasonic to anyone who has an HV20 and wants to downconvert HD to DV. It has a smooth interface, so easy to use, plus so far I have recorded over 20 dvds and it is glitch-free. Maybe it's because it's Panasonic to Panasonic and compatibility is high...who knows..but I highly recommend it (for ex. over the LG which was just a major PITA)

Cheers!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL View Post

Hi Ken:

I have the same setup as you. I am trying to record but when I connect my HV20 to the LG I am getting an "updating the information" message and it just hangs there and won't go away. It is at the bottom left part of the tv screen. Would you happen to have come across this? Could you provide some help please?

Thanks a bunch.

I have the same problem with my LG. Some days the DV input will work and some days it won't. I've tried and returned several units and all of them had some defect (one had a defective HDMI output and the other one had a bad tuner). One of them didn't give me trouble until after the return policy was over. I was going to send it to LG but since all the units I tried failed I don't think they have the ability to make this product work.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page