AVCHD Editing - options and experiences - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 908 Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well i was able to do some testing with Imagemixer.. it worked well i was very happy and surprised.

The output files were identical in size and quality and it did it VERY fast, much faster than nero and i could then import the file in DVDArchitect to make menus without re-encoding there as well.

It did it fast on my dual core, maybe due to a raid 5 array for saving, the same speed as it took on the quad core.. so in any case, with imagemixer, it appears to be a 1:1 ratio.. 1 hour of video will take 1 hour to transcode into a single m2ts, not bad at all, compared to the others.

I need to figure out how to get the klite pack working with this and i still have to test out ulead movie factory with HD as well..

I have to say that the editor was a bit clunky though, but still workable.

I've updated my test results post (15): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14322602

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 908 Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to find the area where m2ts files could be imported into Ulead 11.5.. i had to use the movie wizard interface.. however.. it wouldnt let me choose the "create avchd folders option", it seems to be greyed out (trying to not burn to disc but only to folder)..

Also had to set it to 1920x1080..

**I found that i could do the file option.. but the output was mpg.. and after 4%, 2m 34 seconds had elapsed on the quad core.. so i cancelled.. so much for fast rendering with this tool, at least via the file option..

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #63 of 908 Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

Well, uninstalling the Klite Mega codec pack has now allowed it to get to the edit screen.. ill be testing render times shortly...

So my question is, which codec pack will play nicely with ImageMixer.. Not having the codec pack installed isnt going to work in all cases...

I have been warned off codec packs Years ago. I only install the codecs I need. ffdshow does just about everything I want, except AVCHD. (My Dual Core is not fast enough.) The Nero decoder however works perfectly both in Nero and in MediaPlayerClassic. (Disable H.264/AVC in ffdshow. But then, I am sure your machine is fast enough to keep it enabled.)

post #64 of 908 Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

(from other thread but noted here too):

Pixela and importing mts/m2ts files that were produced with Nero (and maybe others too):

I'm getting crashing with mine (as i had removed klite, all was well).. then i tried importing an m2ts that was created in Nero and now everytime i goto access it, it crashes...

I'm not sure where this library would be in vista, though i had customized the path in preferences.. i deleted any imagemixer library folders in my videos folder, but it still crashes..

If i delete the folder IMxLibrary.. it just comes back when i open it up again, but there are no files in it..

UPDATE: it seems if you rename the offending file.. all is well again.. (though, surely it keeps its library list somewhere in the registry or harddrive on Vista)?

****This is another frustrating thing.. as i have these mov files which i converted to m2ts files, but they cant be imported into pixela so i can merge them with my canon m2ts files in one big movie.

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #65 of 908 Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So my latest adventure, now that i've settled on ImageMaker for editing for now , is to get these mpeg mov files converted to, ideally, a format (m2ts avchd?) that ImageMaker will like.. ie: when i add them, it wont say that the save may take longer due to incompatible format or similar..

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to achieve this..

So far i've tried using Pinnacle.. convert to BD type image (mpeg2 though).. then import the m2ts into image mixer..

I guess i could try having nero do a conversion to mpg (if imagemixer wont break when i import it)..

I've already tried Sony Vegas mp4, but imagemixer breaks..

Or.. if i could at least get the movs to m2ts that DVDArchitect would take without a re-render.. then i could take my imagemixer m2ts file that gets produced along with the m2ts mov converted file and make a menu/bd from them..

So far, every type of m2ts that was a mov file converted, that i've added to DVDarchitect, tells me it will need recompressed.. any thoughts out there?

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #66 of 908 Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Well, uninstalling the Klite Mega codec pack has now allowed it to get to the edit screen.. ill be testing render times shortly...

So my question is, which codec pack will play nicely with ImageMixer.. Not having the codec pack installed isnt going to work in all cases...

You can keep the K-Lite codec pack installed, and just disable Haali Media Splitter for m2ts files. Try this:

Run the "Codec Tweak Tool" that is included with K-Lite, scroll down under "DirectShow Filter Management", check "MPEG TS splitter (Haali)", click Next and then Finish.
post #67 of 908 Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually, on my other machine, i cant seem to get rid of the crashing when it opens the library in ImageMixer..

I've tried renaming folders in my video folder, that didnt fix it.. I then tried uninstalling and deleting the registry keys.. this didnt help either.. I'm baffled.. at least in Vista i cant see where else the library history is being stored, if this is the problem in this case.

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #68 of 908 Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Why am I not able to import .m2ts files directly in Vegas 8 Platinum?
post #69 of 908 Old 07-25-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post

What is the source of these m2ts files (camera or software?).. i can add them to mine, but I'm running Vegas 8.0 Pro (8.0b), so it may be different with platinum.

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #70 of 908 Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:

What is the source of these m2ts files (camera or software?).. i can add them to mine, but I'm running Vegas 8.0 Pro (8.0b), so it may be different with platinum.

I've tried taking them directly from my Sony SR11 and also tried importing them from the bundled software and then imported into Vegas. No dice from either procedure.
post #71 of 908 Old 07-25-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've tried taking them directly from my Sony SR11 and also tried importing them from the bundled software and then imported into Vegas. No dice from either procedure.

Sorry, i havent gotten my hands on (yet) the platinum software to verify one way or the other.. perhaps someone else has out there?

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #72 of 908 Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I updated my editing thread, the link to the Post# is in my signature.. i've modified it to be a little easier to read, with some short summaries at the bottom (still changing a little day to day).

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #73 of 908 Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just did it, in Vegas Platinum 8. File, Import, Media. Then click on the mts file copied from the stream directory of the SR11.
post #74 of 908 Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am wondering whether these Toshiba laptops (Qosmio G55-Q802, F50-10Z (UK)) could be the answer to the transcoding issues we have with AVCHD. Apparently, they can accelerate encoding, decoding and transcoding. However, I am not sure whether they would need programs specifically optimised to take advantage of their Cell processor. I wish they could make the "Spurs Engine" available as a separate add-on PCI-E card for PCs soon.

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/G50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpursEngine

From Toshiba:

Quote:
Create a blockbuster

If you’re into home video editing you know how long it can take to process those big files before your masterpiece is ready—sometimes over an hour to convert a typical 1GB movie. But with the powerful new Toshiba Quad Core HD Processor, transcoding can take as little time as ten minutes. You’ll be finished so fast they’ll be raving for a sequel.

post #75 of 908 Old 07-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post

Apparently, they can accelerate encoding, decoding and transcoding. However, I am not sure whether they would need programs specifically optimised to take advantage of their Cell processor.

It comes bundled with Ulead software, so we have at least one major software supporting the Cell processor. Could this be the reason for the delay of VS v12 release?
post #76 of 908 Old 08-01-2008, 01:58 AM

I'm waiting for GPU encoding. This will be a great breakthrough.
It will reduce the encoding time to 1x real time.

Quote:
CyberLink PowerDVD and PowerDirector Support ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Graphics Series from AMD,
Delivering Optimized HD Playback and Accelerated Video Transcoding

Expecting an answer from Cyberlink forum:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3307.page

Other work has been made using CUDA tecnology, Nvidia >= 8xxx.

Cant wait
post #77 of 908 Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Has anyone tried using TMPGenc to convert the files into an editable format? I haven't purchased the full version yet ($99) but using the trial it appears you can control the bitrate and all necessary functions to create a near loss less conversion. Here is a tutorial I found on vimeo. www. vimeo. com/629815
post #78 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

(just listening in...)
post #79 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We lost a lot of posts from the AVS forum crash.

In any case, my understanding is that the Veas Pro 8 is the best software available for editing AVCHD files from our HD camcorders and also authoring blu Ray discs? The longest file I have is about 1 hour long. I would likely splice pices from various files to make a 2 hour Blu Ray.

Assuming Vegas Pro 8 is what I need, does anybody have a recommendation where to buy it/get best price?

I am also assuming that Sony will be very aggressive with updates to this software and that any shortcomings will be addressed in the near future...
post #80 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

In any case, my understanding is that the Veas Pro 8 is the best software available for editing AVCHD files from our HD camcorders and also authoring blu Ray discs?

Not really, I don't think it can do smart rendering (leave unchanged video alone, instead of re-encode the whole video). This feature saves a lot of time, and ensures best video quality.
post #81 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Hello. I recently got a ps3 for avchd playback on my home theater. I used revolverhd to convert an avchd edited movie from final cut express 4 back to an avchd file. (since final cut exports it as a .MOV file) I burned it onto a dvd-r and tried to play it on my ps3. The files are recognized and start to play fine but then they fall out of sync and become choppy even freezing. If i copy the file from the dvd-r onto the ps3 hard drive it plays the videos perfectly but not directly off the dvd. Does anyone know why this is or what i can do to to fix this. My ps3 is updated with the latest firmware at least thats what its telling me when i press the update button. I have an imac 2.8ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb ram. Thanks for any help you can give.
post #82 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered Vegas Pro 8 from New Egg.com... Seemed to be a good deal.

Anything else I should order besides Vegas Pro 8?
post #83 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkk41 View Post

Hello. I recently got a ps3 for avchd playback on my home theater. I used revolverhd to convert an avchd edited movie from final cut express 4 back to an avchd file. (since final cut exports it as a .MOV file) I burned it onto a dvd-r and tried to play it on my ps3. The files are recognized and start to play fine but then they fall out of sync and become choppy even freezing. If i copy the file from the dvd-r onto the ps3 hard drive it plays the videos perfectly but not directly off the dvd. Does anyone know why this is or what i can do to to fix this. My ps3 is updated with the latest firmware at least thats what its telling me when i press the update button. I have an imac 2.8ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb ram. Thanks for any help you can give.

Sounds like cheap disks.
post #84 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

In any case, my understanding is that the Veas Pro 8 is the best software available for editing AVCHD files from our HD camcorders and also authoring blu Ray discs? The longest file I have is about 1 hour long. I would likely splice pices from various files to make a 2 hour Blu Ray.

Assuming Vegas Pro 8 is what I need, does anybody have a recommendation where to buy it/get best price?

I am also assuming that Sony will be very aggressive with updates to this software and that any shortcomings will be addressed in the near future...

The Vegas Platinum 9 (soon to be released) should be able to import/edit/render AVCHD files. (Vegas 8 Pro does this now, as you note.)

Authoring (and burning) Blu-ray discs is another story. The new DVD Architect 5.0 should do this.
post #85 of 908 Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm looking forward to Vegas Pro arriving... does it have sound forge integrated? Can I do audio only editing as well? The price at New Egg was very good. The only bad part is that I moved to CA last year and now I realize how much tax free Internet stuff was based in CA
post #86 of 908 Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Vegas pro 8 trial is crashing on me.

Am I the only one having such issues?

Is there a way to cover the MTS files to an easily editable format?
post #87 of 908 Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

Sounds like cheap disks.

I'm using Memorex recordable 16x. Are they not good enough. WOuld a different disk not allow choppy playback?
post #88 of 908 Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer420 View Post

Has anyone tried using TMPGenc to convert the files into an editable format? I haven't purchased the full version yet ($99) but using the trial it appears you can control the bitrate and all necessary functions to create a near loss less conversion. Here is a tutorial I found on vimeo. www. vimeo. com/629815

I just downloaded the trial version and it is looking like a winner in my book.
My dual-core T2500@2Ghz still cannot play the clips properly, which make editing quite impossible.

Is there anything I can do to improve the playback?
post #89 of 908 Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Also, why is that we don't have basic editing features (cut and merge) built-in the camera?

Such a thing could go a very long way.
If we could cut and merge in the camcorder then add effects and render on the computer, things would be more acceptable.

I am certainly not going to shell out more money for a desktop I have no use for otherwise for the sole purpose of editing these AVCHD files. Grrr!
post #90 of 908 Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 PM

The Panny SD-9 has divide and delete in-camera, which reduces wasted footage before importing in to the pc. Apple's iMovie is probably one of the best 'free' editors beyond the basic, and I can quickly export to tiny movies for overall review before spending the hours for final completion. Things are getting better quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

Also, why is that we don't have basic editing features (cut and merge) built-in the camera?

Such a thing could go a very long way.
If we could cut and merge in the camcorder then add effects and render on the computer, things would be more acceptable.

I am certainly not going to shell out more money for a desktop I have no use for otherwise for the sole purpose of editing these AVCHD files. Grrr!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page