post #91 of 908 Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by elifino View Post

The Panny SD-9 has divide and delete in-camera, which reduces wasted footage before importing in to the pc. Apple's iMovie is probably one of the best 'free' editors beyond the basic, and I can quickly export to tiny movies for overall review before spending the hours for final completion. Things are getting better quickly.

Well, I sure wish my HF100 had that.

Anyway, now I have another problem with TMPGEnc when converting the AVCHD files to uncompressed AVI.
It is 10% done, and it is already using 70+GB of space.
Am I really looking at 700GB for 64 minutes of video?

Ok, I am now switching to the CamStudio Lossless codec, and so far, it seems it will take 36-40GB for 4 minutes (not 64) of video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 908 Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

Am I really looking at 700GB for 64 minutes of video?

Absolutely.

I work pretty regularly with uncompressed avi and I almost always fill an entire 1 terabyte drive.

There are other lossless codecs as you have discovered but uncompressed avi is about as generic as you can get. Just about any program will accept it. With other lossless codecs you have to be careful to make sure all the programs you will be using understands that codec.
post #93 of 908 Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

Absolutely.

I work pretty regularly with uncompressed avi and I almost always fill an entire 1 terabyte drive.

There are other lossless codecs as you have discovered but uncompressed avi is about as generic as you can get. Just about any program will accept it. With other lossless codecs you have to be careful to make sure all the programs you will be using understands that codec.

Well, the CamStudio codec reduced it to ~592GB for 64 minutes.
The problem now with such large files is that you need a hard drive fast enough to read the content for playback.
My external firewire drive simply chokes on these AVI files.

Now, I have read that since the final output will only be 720x480, that I should output the AVI at 720x480 instead of 1920x1080.
The resulting file size looks to be around 5GB for 4 minutes of video versus 37GB for the same 4 minutes.
post #94 of 908 Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Now, I have read that since the final output will only be 720x480, that I should output the AVI at 720x480 instead of 1920x1080.
The resulting file size looks to be around 5GB for 4 minutes of video versus 37GB for the same 4 minutes.

That's no longer lossless, though . You're reducing the resolution, hence losing some (a lot, in this case) of the data. Depending on what you will do with it, it might matter, or it might not... If you're only going to be cutting it up into a 720x480 video, then that's fine -- doing the resize during initial AVI transcoding or during the final rendering will be the same.

If you're going to do some "fancier" editing or special effects, then you'll want to have the highest resolution possible available to you to perform the editing on, and then only resize during the final render. For example, if you do chroma key on high res video, and then size it down, you'll get a smoother looking outline than if you resize the video first, and then do chroma key.
post #95 of 908 Old 08-14-2008, 04:46 PM

I have a question I have a Sony HDR-SR11
And record my clips in 1440x1080i

After compile all the clips, using some authoring app, do you recommend, to keep the same codec and resolution, or use other codec like x264, and a progressive resolution, like 720p ?

Other question, do you keep the original clips, or do you delete it all after creating a movie ?

Thanks in advance
post #96 of 908 Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Why 720x480???

AVI is quite capable of supporting 1920x1080 (unless of course you're planning on going to SD dvd)
post #97 of 908 Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

Why 720x480???

AVI is quite capable of supporting 1920x1080 (unless of course you're planning on going to SD dvd)

1920x1080 ends up yielding ~600GB versus ~80GB@720x480 for 64 minutes of footage.
For now, I am outputting the the footages to DVDs and keeping the MTS files as archives for later.

To be frank, all the editing I am doing is just trimming and merging with a few transition effects.
post #98 of 908 Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I hope this is the right spot for this question: I'm trying to convert 1080p/24 .mov files into .m2ts (for final use in an AVCHD directory).

What application should I use to do this? Also, what kind of quality hit (if any) should I expect from such a conversion?

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #99 of 908 Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

I hope this is the right spot for this question: I'm trying to convert 1080p/24 .mov files into .m2ts (for final use in an AVCHD directory).

What application should I use to do this? Also, what kind of quality hit (if any) should I expect from such a conversion?

I have been working with avchd for a few days now and have been getting a little more comfy. I use a program called REVOLVERHD that converts my .mov file to .m2ts. I then burn it on disk, and copy it onto my ps3 for playback. Unfortunately if the ps3 tries to read the file off the dvd it gets out of sync and freezes up. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet but copying the file onto the hard drive of the ps3 makes for seamless playback.
The tough thing with avchd is finding a place to get all my questions answered. Its so new and so few are using it the same way that it makes for plenty of confusion. Hope this helps.
post #100 of 908 Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks clarkk41! I'll try out REVOLVERHD. In the meantime, I wonder if running ACDHD ME might solve your problem... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/691306

Hail to the King, baby!
post #101 of 908 Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

D'oh! It seems REVOLVERHD only works for Macs. I'm SOL!

Hail to the King, baby!
post #102 of 908 Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

D'oh! It seems REVOLVERHD only works for Macs. I'm SOL!

Oops! My bad I should have posted my set up as being a mac! I'll see if there is anything out there similar to revolverhd for the pc
post #103 of 908 Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

No worries! Btw, is there any hit on quality when converting from .mov to .m2ts when using REVOLVERHD?

Hail to the King, baby!
post #104 of 908 Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
Any programs out there that will take the AVCHD and convert it to MPEG2 for free? I have a MPEG2 editor that I like a lot and I really just need to be able to take the AVCHD files and download them to the computer and convert them to a MPEG2 stream file so I can edit them. I have a QX9650 @ 4Ghz with 4GB of ram on Vista x64, so I have the computing power, just need the program.
Thanks,
Kemical_head

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #105 of 908 Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemical_head View Post

Any programs out there that will take the AVCHD and convert it to MPEG2 for free? I have a MPEG2 editor that I like a lot and I really just need to be able to take the AVCHD files and download them to the computer and convert them to a MPEG2 stream file so I can edit them. I have a QX9650 @ 4Ghz with 4GB of ram on Vista x64, so I have the computing power, just need the program.
Thanks,
Kemical_head

I'm assuming that was a typo.. the 4ghz.. the qx9650 is 3ghz i think..

On the note of converters.. you could give quickmedia converter a try.. its free.. not sure if it does avchd though..

Since you have the very cpu that i was considering getting, to speed my full edits of avchd up..

Any chance you could replicate any of my tests, using trial versions at least..

IE: Record a 1 minute clip on the camera.. then try one of my tests so i could see if its worth the $700 for the cpu

See my sig for the post with the test results..

Let me know if you do, that would be great.

Cheers

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #106 of 908 Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 AM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

I'm assuming that was a typo.. the 4ghz.. the qx9650 is 3ghz i think..

On the note of converters.. you could give quickmedia converter a try.. its free.. not sure if it does avchd though..

Since you have the very cpu that i was considering getting, to speed my full edits of avchd up..

Any chance you could replicate any of my tests, using trial versions at least..

IE: Record a 1 minute clip on the camera.. then try one of my tests so i could see if its worth the $700 for the cpu

See my sig for the post with the test results..

Let me know if you do, that would be great.

Cheers

That wasn't a typo, the cpu is overclocked to 4Ghz. Very easy to do, especially when you have water cooling. Anyway, I may be able to do some testing this week. I am currently using Vegas Premium and the thing I like about it is that it uses all 4 cores when it does it thing, so I may just use it to do everything rather than using 2 programs. I just need to learn how to edit with it.

As far as the chip being worth the $700, if you do not plan on overclocking then get the Q9650 which is the same chip without the unlocked multiplier. It will run you around $550 retail and you may be able to find it cheaper on Ebay using the live.com promotion when it is active. It can save you anywhere from 10% to 35% on a "Buy it Now" purchase. Check out this link for the details.

http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...y-buy-now.html

Thanks,
Kemical

post #107 of 908 Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemical_head View Post

That wasn't a typo, the cpu is overclocked to 4Ghz. Very easy to do, especially when you have water cooling. Anyway, I may be able to do some testing this week. I am currently using Vegas Premium and the thing I like about it is that it uses all 4 cores when it does it thing, so I may just use it to do everything rather than using 2 programs. I just need to learn how to edit with it.

As far as the chip being worth the $700, if you do not plan on overclocking then get the Q9650 which is the same chip without the unlocked multiplier. It will run you around $550 retail and you may be able to find it cheaper on Ebay using the live.com promotion when it is active. It can save you anywhere from 10% to 35% on a "Buy it Now" purchase. Check out this link for the details.

http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...y-buy-now.html

Thanks,
Kemical

Ah i see.. i had never considered overclocking, that could save a bit of cash.. what sort of water cooling system do you use (i'm overheating as it is, was thinking of adding fans, but a water cooling system may be more ideal).. does it require regular maintainance?

Thanks for that link.. ill check it out.

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #108 of 908 Old 08-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

Ah i see.. i had never considered overclocking, that could save a bit of cash.. what sort of water cooling system do you use (i'm overheating as it is, was thinking of adding fans, but a water cooling system may be more ideal).. does it require regular maintainance?

Thanks for that link.. ill check it out.

Check out this thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=70

It will tell you everything you need to know about water cooling your system. If you give some specs, i.e. MB, case, etc. I can give you an idea of what you will need, also, what would your budget be.
Thanks,
Kemical

post #109 of 908 Old 08-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkk41 View Post

I have been working with avchd for a few days now and have been getting a little more comfy. I use a program called REVOLVERHD that converts my .mov file to .m2ts. I then burn it on disk, and copy it onto my ps3 for playback. Unfortunately if the ps3 tries to read the file off the dvd it gets out of sync and freezes up. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet but copying the file onto the hard drive of the ps3 makes for seamless playback.
The tough thing with avchd is finding a place to get all my questions answered. Its so new and so few are using it the same way that it makes for plenty of confusion. Hope this helps.

Wow, glad to find someone who is doing this with a Mac as this is the set up I'm trying to replicate.

Currently I've got the PS3 (only 40 gig drive) and several Intel-based Macs (the fastest is a 2.16 gHz 24" iMac) and iMovie '08/'06HD and iDVD. I'm looking at the HF10 or 11 as my new camcorder but have not pulled the trigger yet to buy one. I wouldn't mind too much if I had to d/l the movies to the PS3 as I have it reading a 1TB disc as a media server off my AEBSn and could archive the movies there for downloading and viewing when I wanted to. If I don't want to output to DVD, is iMovie '08 enough to accomplish AVCHD editing and reoutput to one of my drives? How do you do this?

Reading between the lines of your post, I'm assuming that iDVD cannot create a DVD that has AVCHD content for playback on a PS3 (excepting for the moment all the problems you're having with playback on yours).
post #110 of 908 Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have just found that Sony's Vegas Pro 8 will convert 1080p .mov's to .m2ts (avc). However, I will have to wait tomorrow to report back on how well this conversion works.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #111 of 908 Old 09-04-2008, 03:26 PM

i jut got the cam last week and having been taking some random footage and putting it together with vegas. so far so good

my question is how has everyone been organizing their media? I started a new project and all the old imported media is gone. I have to reimport.

What i would like to do is tag the media files with names of people, places, dates etc, then be able to create a new project based on old stuff as well as newly imported.

I'm new to vegas, so i'm not entirely familiar with its archiving functions. i see their is a "search bins" function, but the list is empty.

What i want to have is archive of raw footage, timelines for different edits and archive of output projects.

I think i can handle to editing with vegas, so if it can make it an effective content manager that i would buy it. Otherwise, mght the other programs have what i am looking for?
post #112 of 908 Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Vegas Pro comes with a Media Manager that allows you to do all that. I found it a little clunky to use, but you might find it works for what you want to do. In the end, I just ended up with sticking my files in different folders based on events I was filming and give them very descriptive names about what's in there...

Picasa also allows videos to be imported along with photos, and new Picasa 3 apparently has improved video capabilities, so you might want to check that out, too.
post #113 of 908 Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM

i downloaded the vegas pro and tried to use the media manager. it hung a couple of times (running vista) when i tried to create a new db. I was able to import some stuff afterwards, but it was slow. I think it might be too much effort for me to have to constantly reimport into that db. it would be nice if it could just monitor a folder automatically.

I tried picasa, but it doesn't recognize the m2ts files as videos.

I think that I will end up settling for the PMB software that came with the sony cam. I found that I can drag clip from PMB to vegas project media. I can also add tags and search by date. It might be the way to go. I would rather not have to shell out the $500 for vegas pro, just to get the db application.

it might be worth it if I had a db of some prefab content that i could import, like sound bytes, stock footage of different things, etc... but without some free content to go along with, the price delta is just not worth it.
post #114 of 908 Old 09-05-2008, 03:44 PM

You can get Vegas Pro at B&H for a lot less than $500, and you will be getting a much more robust video editing program than the "plain" Vegas. But, for the media manager alone, I wouldn't pay more than $50 .

Picasa does support m2ts files, I know I did try it a while back.. you might have to specify which extensions you want it to look at / import / consider, or something like that (my memory is fuzzy on what I had to do), but otherwise it should work fine.
post #115 of 908 Old 09-14-2008, 04:06 PM

I've found that imagemixer is the only option for me. Is there any way I can add audio to my clips?

All other software packages can do it, but the rendering is too ridiculous and time consuming.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Add files from the edit menu, and drag and drop into the audio timeline.
post #116 of 908 Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I buy the lower cost B&H version of Vegas Pro, I understand it does not include DVD Architect. I want to be able to take 1920x1080 clips shot with my Sony SR11 and burn AVCHD at 1920 x 1080 to standard DVD+R discs for playing in a Blu-ray player.

In the absence of DVD Architect, what inexpensive software can take edited video out of Vegas and burn the AVCHD file structure?
post #117 of 908 Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 AM

You can get DVD Architect at newegg for under $50. I believe that the latest patch adds full support for AVCHD, but don't hold me to it -- I've never tried burning discs in BD format.
post #118 of 908 Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, Pulzar. I didn't realize DVD Architect was so inexpensive. I do notice the product name at Newegg (and B&H) is DVD Architect Studio. Is that the same as the DVD architect provided in the full Vegas Pro $500 product? Or is it a scaled-down version like the Vegas Movie Studio product line?

Actually, as long as it will write 1920x1080 AVCHD to DVD+ or - R discs, as well as standard definition DVD discs for family without Blu-ray players, it doesn't matter to me whether it is the full product or a scaled down "studio -type" product.
post #119 of 908 Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM

I think you're right, that's the cheaper version, I think there is no way to buy the Architect Pro separately from Vegas Pro... I'm actually not sure if the Studio version can handle burning AVCHD disks, I know the Pro just added the support with version 5.0.

I saw somebody in another post say that they bought Architect Studio after buying the B&H Vegas Pro, so I though it was the same thing. If they are reading this, maybe they can comment on what Architect Studio can and can't do.
post #120 of 908 Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulzar View Post

I'm actually not sure if the Studio version can handle burning AVCHD disks, I know the Pro just added the support with version 5.0.

Yes, Studio 12 can burn AVCHD disks.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page