AVCHD Editing - options and experiences - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 908 Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 243
With the BH version of Vegas 8 Pro you don't need the DVDA if all you want is to burn a BD file on a regular DVD media, without menus. I use the Vegas 8 Pro to edit and record the final movie in HD , on a regular DVD media. You need the DVDA Pro 5.0 to author real BD with menus.

I was so happy without HDR...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 908 Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont understand these posts with vegas pro to make blurays... pixella imagemixer gets the original files(avchd) and you can watch on a ps3 in it's full glory. You can add effects like transitions and music, but no menus.
post #123 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardog View Post

I dont understand these posts with vegas pro to make blurays... pixella imagemixer gets the original files(avchd) and you can watch on a ps3 in it's full glory. You can add effects like transitions and music, but no menus.

What exactly don't you understand ? With Vegas Pro 8 you just do your final editing on the time line, click on TOOLS, BURN DISK, BLURAY DISK and that's it. The disk can be read on the BD30 or the PS3. Vegas is a FULL editor, for people who wants more than simple transitions and music.

post #124 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Seastrand View Post

Yes, Studio 12 can burn AVCHD disks.

That's Pinnacle Studio 12.. I was asking about DVD Architect Studio from Sony.
post #125 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

What exactly don't you understand ? With Vegas Pro 8 you just do your final editing on the time line, click on TOOLS, BURN DISK, BLURAY DISK and that's it. The disk can be read on the BD30 or the PS3. Vegas is a FULL editor, for people who wants more than simple transitions and music.

Vegas Pro will also require re-rendering of bluray, which can take say 14 hours on a dual core machine for 1 hour of video.. Image Mixer does not require re-rendering.

Vegas Pro 8 also maxes out at 16mbps, I believe the canon hf10 is 17mbps, so you are losing a slight amount of bit rate.

Pinnacle 12 AVCHD is herky jerky and not identical to the original and also requires re-rendering.

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #126 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulzar View Post

That's Pinnacle Studio 12.. I was asking about DVD Architect Studio from Sony.

DVD architect will do avchd (version 5.0 at least i know for sure).

Often with no re-rendering.

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #127 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I now have new hardware that should handle re-rendering better.. i hope to post some results of this in my original editing post (see sig) in the next week or two.. i also need to test a possible issue with imagemixer, where if you edit and spit back an m2ts file, this file does require re-rendering in dvd architect (i didnt realize this at first), should you choose to use dvd architect for menus rather than imagemixer.

My new hardware has gone from a 1.86 dual core with ddr2 800 to a 3.0ghz quad core on 1600mhz ddr3 with newer video cards too (see my profile details for exact specs).

Cheers

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #128 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

Vegas Pro will also require re-rendering of bluray, which can take say 14 hours on a dual core machine for 1 hour of video.. Image Mixer does not require re-rendering.

Vegas Pro 8 also maxes out at 16mbps, I believe the canon hf10 is 17mbps, so you are losing a slight amount of bit rate.

Pinnacle 12 AVCHD is herky jerky and not identical to the original and also requires re-rendering.

exactly, who wants to sit through 14+ hours of encoding? I can see people using it to downgrade video to dvd, but who wants to watch the tool re-render your h264 content into another h264 content, when the original content is complient? It makes no sense. My guess on vegas pro not being able to do that right now is to sell future software.

The default software that came with the cam does a better job than paid software.

There is no way I'm willing to put out 10+ hours of encoding for a video. I shoot too much to put in that work. There has to be a better solution to vegas 9 ( the one I'm using), because it's ridiculous to recompress an already compressed format.
post #129 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:

The default software that came with the cam does a better job than paid software.

It does a better job of copying AVCHD files as-is to a BD disk. That's it, that's the only thing it does better .

Quote:

There is no way I'm willing to put out 10+ hours of encoding for a video. I shoot too much to put in that work. There has to be a better solution to vegas 9 ( the one I'm using), because it's ridiculous to recompress an already compressed format.

You know, you don't have to sit next to it a turn a crank to keep it going. There's no work to put in, you press a button, go to sleep/work, when you get back, it's done.

The reason Vegas Pro and such are still very popular is because the actual editing capabilities and the final product are more important to some people than the rendering time. I'd much rather put in some basic color correct in to fix the WB mess HF100 produces at times and re-encode than keep the original unchanged footage and save an evening/day of rendering.

If you really shoot that much, you probably care about putting together a nice looking video more than gluing together clips and churning out a BD disk a day, don't you?
post #130 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

i also need to test a possible issue with imagemixer, where if you edit and spit back an m2ts file, this file does require re-rendering in dvd architect (i didnt realize this at first), should you choose to use dvd architect for menus rather than imagemixer.

I don't think this is an imagemixer problem. Vegas Pro won't even read these .m2ts files produced by ImageMixer, but other editors will. It seems like Sony has a problem with .m2ts files not produced by camcorders.

Try a .m2ts file created by Cyberlink. I couldn't load that into Vegas Pro, either... If DVD Architect re-encodes them, then Sony is the culprit.
post #131 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

exactly, who wants to sit through 14+ hours of encoding? I can see people using it to downgrade video to dvd, but who wants to watch the tool re-render your h264 content into another h264 content, when the original content is complient? It makes no sense. My guess on vegas pro not being able to do that right now is to sell future software.

I may be wrong, but isn't Sony including smart rendering of AVCHD footage in the next version of Vegas (coming soon)? I'd swear I read that someplace.... I bit the bullet a few days ago and bought Sony Vegas Pro 8, so I'm REALLY hoping I'm right here....
post #132 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 PM

To reply to myself, the new 8.0c Vegas Pro update lists "improved AVCHD reading" as one of the updates. I hope that means that it can properly read ImageMixer files now. I will be trying that tonight.

There's no mention of smart-rendering, though.

EDIT: Tried it, 8.0c reads ImageMixer-produced clips fine! That's very good news! No smart-rendering, though. An interesting thing, though -- 30 sec clip from ImageMixer took 8 minutes to re-render to AVCHD 1920x1080 output (new render target available in 8.0c), but a 30 second HF100 clip took 4.5 minutes. They were different clips, but that's still a noticeable difference. This is based on a grand sample of 1 clip each, so don't read into it too much yet.
post #133 of 908 Old 09-16-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm confused why is there an 8.1 update and a 8.0c update??????

Is the only difference that 8.1 is only for 64bit OS thefore 32bit OS users should not install 8.1
post #134 of 908 Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortical View Post

I'm confused why is there an 8.1 update and a 8.0c update??????

Is the only difference that 8.1 is only for 64bit OS thefore 32bit OS users should not install 8.1

Yes. 8.1 is not an option for 32 bits machine.

post #135 of 908 Old 09-19-2008, 04:32 AM

Anyone know where i might be able to get some stock footage? I would a few sites that have a bunch of clips but they are either watermarked or not free.
post #136 of 908 Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
osv
AVS Forum Special Member

i haven't seen any confirmation that vegas 8.0c will do smart rendering... right now i'm experimenting with the canopus codec as an intermediary.
post #137 of 908 Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 PM

What does that buy you? Vegas 8.0c reads avchd, writes avchd. How does intermediary codec help with the lack of smart rendering?
post #138 of 908 Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
osv
AVS Forum Special Member

there are situations where using the intermediary codec will give you better picture quality... it's less cpu-intensive, but since the files are maybe 7x larger there is more demand on the hdd, so it's not a solution for everyone.
post #139 of 908 Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
I'm just starting to look at buying an HD video camera... so maybe this is a stupid question. But in addition to burning an AVCHD disk to watch on my PS3, can I also burn regular SD DVD's that I can send to my family to watch? I realize that kind of defeats the purpose of the HD, but I do want to be able to make regular DVD's as well. Is it pretty easy to do that? What kind of software should I use for that? With my current MiniDV camcorder, I use Windows Movie Maker to extract the video, and I'm using Sonic's MyDVD to create DVDs. The latest version of Sonic MyDVD claims to support AVC (H.264) -- is that the format of the HD camcorders?

BTW -- The camcorder I think I'll be getting is the Canon Vixia HF11.
post #140 of 908 Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Following up on my posts of 25 Aug 08 and 31 Aug 08, I've determined that Sony Vegas Movie Studio will achieve my goal of joining 1080p .mov files and converting them into a single .m2ts file (maintaining 1920x1080 resolution). From what I can see, there is no discernible difference in a/v quality using this method.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
unOFFICIAL D-Box HEMC FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #141 of 908 Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 AM

drvais:
I downloaded Movie Studio Platinum to try it out, and when I tried to render as m2ts, I got a message that no codec was available. Does the "trial" version not have the codec, or do you have to obtain it from somewhere else? I actually have a .m2ts codec, since I have a sony avc camcorder, and I can view them with the supplied viewer.
post #142 of 908 Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first post. I own a Sony SR11 and use it to view AVCHD output on my plasma. What editing software can I use that will allow editing in AVCHD .m2ts format and exporting back to the camcorder (Picture Motion Browser can do it but for editing it is virtually useless). Read that Vegas Platinum 8 & 9 cannot do this and I cannot find a clear answer on Pinnacle 12 Plus. Vegas 8 pro is too expensive. Any help will be appreciated - a simple question with an allmost impossible answer to find.
post #143 of 908 Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
tshirk, I can't speak for the trial version, I only have experience with the full version.

JSpy, you might try Sony Movie Vegas. It's a lot cheaper than Vegas Pro and has a lot of features as well.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
unOFFICIAL D-Box HEMC FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #144 of 908 Old 09-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Well, I finally figured out that you have to have Quick time installed on your machine. After I installed it, things are going fine. However, and this is very strange, I tried rendering in every reasonable option:
(.mp4, .m2ts, .mts, .avc, etc.) and none of them would play in Quick Time.
But when I render to a blue-ray disk image, it provides an excellent playback on my blu ray player. The blue-ray render yields an .iso file, which I was able to burn to a DVD using the very old Creator Classic 6. One word of caution: when I selected "Render and Burn", I got a message that DVD Architect Studio wasn't installed. I downloaded it, installed it, and the message went away but my first burn failed. So I selected Render to disk image and used Creator 6, and it worked fine. you do need some type of iso burner, but architect itself isn't needed unless you want "Click and burn" with out launching another program. I am glad that Sony doesn't cripple the trial program in any way like some companies do. It is the same program: all I have to do is purchase a serial number and plug it in. No new install is needed.
post #145 of 908 Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

this thread should turn into VEGAS only thread...jeez

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #146 of 908 Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpy View Post

My first post. I own a Sony SR11 and use it to view AVCHD output on my plasma. What editing software can I use that will allow editing in AVCHD .m2ts format and exporting back to the camcorder (Picture Motion Browser can do it but for editing it is virtually useless). Read that Vegas Platinum 8 & 9 cannot do this and I cannot find a clear answer on Pinnacle 12 Plus. Vegas 8 pro is too expensive. Any help will be appreciated - a simple question with an allmost impossible answer to find.

I have a Sony SR11 and I use Vegas Platinum 9.0 to create Blu-ray discs for play on a Samsung P1500. They look great. (Incidentally, the BD are in fact DVD-R discs with about 25 minutes max of footage.)

In Vegas Platinum 9, before rendering, you can choose the option of exporting to a camcorder (although I haven't done this).

While Vegas Platinum Platinum 9 allows you to put in chapter markers, it unfortunately does not author discs and so you can't create menus. For this, you would need Sony's DVD Architect Pro 5.0 (that comes bundled with Sony Platinum Pro).

So, here's my question. After editing a HD video in Sony Platinum 9 and saving it (for example) as an m2v file, does anyone know of a good cheap authoring software to create BD menus? I'm not looking for anything too sophisticated.
post #147 of 908 Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
August1991 - please do me a favour. Try exporting an edited AVCHD file back to your SR11 and see if this plays on the HDMI output. I posted above but did not get a clear answer. I do not have a BlueRay player or PSP so I want to export from the SR11 to hopefully Platinum 9, edit and export back. Sounds simple, have not been successful in getting answers. Thanks!
post #148 of 908 Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi everyone,
Like most still looking for software which works to edit the FULL AVCHD files 1980X1080. Many are still using 1440x1080 and have not caught up to the latest.

I have been recording my son's sporting events with a Sony HDR-SR11 Handycam which is a hybrid because it can record on both the Hard Drive or an Memory Stick Duo chip. At the highest setting you can record 7 hr's of HI DEF video on the 60gig HD (the sr12 doubles the HD for $200 more) but 7 hours is alot.

I finally had to start moving them from the HD to an external HD on the the computer. Sony has a utility program which will transfer them from the drive to your computer. I then use the included PMB (Picture Motion Browser) from here you can make AVCHD disk on regular DVD disks (double layer you get about 1 hour). You can also down convert the AVCHD files to play on a normal DVD player.

My son's football is coming in at about 38 minutes of recording with about 65 or so stipits of video. Takes about 1.5-2 hours for the program to down convert the files to record on to a regular DVD. The first disk is automatic and it asks if you need to copy another one, now the process is usually 3-5 minutes to burn them. So figure how many you need for family and friends so you don't have to take the time to down convert them again. Plan your time wisely.

The AVCHD to DVD to be played on a Blu Ray player takes about 30 minutes. I had one football game which had 58 minutes recorded and that took 50 or more but I was not not there to see when it finished. My only problem was with the DL disks, the program uses optimal for recording and I had to set it to ask me what speed to record. Once I selected 2.4X for the speed things have been working great. Before I was getting a disk that the PS3 could not read about 50% of the time.

PMB also has an email feature but I have not used this feature, yet.

Using a Gateway Intel Duo Core 2.3 ghz, 3 gig's of RAM

May not be the best but it works until the software companies get their software updated to work with AVCHD files better.

Best To All
James
post #149 of 908 Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM

PMB installed and... after importing clips there is no possibility to analyze content. Without analyzing -no AVCHD disc burning.
Tried many times, reinstalled program, installed on laptop with Vista and still nothing.
My system: Win XP SP2.
Please advice.
post #150 of 908 Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpy View Post

August1991 - please do me a favour. Try exporting an edited AVCHD file back to your SR11 and see if this plays on the HDMI output. I posted above but did not get a clear answer. I do not have a BlueRay player or PSP so I want to export from the SR11 to hopefully Platinum 9, edit and export back. Sounds simple, have not been successful in getting answers. Thanks!

I'm curious about this. I'll give it a try and let you know. Maybe someone else has already tried this.

I have already connected my SR11 by mini-HDMI directly to my HD screen and the SR11's small screen was duplicated on the large screen. (I even had sound feedback issues.)

I haven't copied mts files to the SR11 however. I'll try and let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders