Trying to convert Hi-8 tape video into DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

My apologies for asking such newbie questions but I searched and didn't really find the answers I'm looking for.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever taken Hi-8 tapes and transferred them to DVD? I have three tapes I need to convert and I really don't have any idea how I can do that since I don't have a Hi-8 camcorder to begin with. Do I have to purchase a Hi-8 Camcorder just for the sake of being able to transfer the video?

Also, I would like to do some basic editing before putting it onto DVD. And how do I create a menu screen at the beginning like the ones we see in movies?

That is all. Thank you for your time.

Chandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, Chandra,

You'd not only need a camera, but some way to get the footage into your computer to edit... and make sure your graphics card can deal with the footage... then you'd need the software to edit it with... You might be better off having a company transfer to tape to dvd, then buying a software package that can edit the file they make for you. Once the file is digitized, they you should be able to do what you want with it.

If you find a place to digitize it for you, find out what file format they use and then buy an editor that can handle that kind of file.

I actually had purchased a Sony Hi8 playback/record deck to help me edit tapes, but it was so cumbersome that I never really got into it. A company that specializes in doing tape to disk transfers would do a lot better job for you, and cost you less than a camera.

I'm assuming you're dealing with analog Hi8 footage, not digital cameras that used Hi8 tapes as a storage media. Either way, you're probably better off having someone do it for you, then doing some editing yourself.

Larry Becker
post #3 of 14 Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

At one time, Walmart and Walgreen's did transfers from many formats of video tape to DVD's. They probably still do that service so it wouldn't hurt to check with them. The only problem with that is you wouldn't be able to edit your footage unless you have a way to edit their DVD and burn a new DVD.

Dave
post #4 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well... it turns out that a local photo development shop does this for a really good price. All three tapes for only $35! But this will be raw footage, unedited. Now I just need to know how do I go about ripping the video to the hard drive so I can edit it.

I've been thinking about purchasing the Sony Vegas Platinum suite. Is there anything else I would need?
post #5 of 14 Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no experience with that because my DVD recorders have built-in hard drives. But over on Videohelp.com they have lots of good reading material that describes that very task.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic224833.html

Dave
post #6 of 14 Old 10-29-2007, 08:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra.hp View Post

Well... it turns out that a local photo development shop does this for a really good price. All three tapes for only $35! But this will be raw footage, unedited. Now I just need to know how do I go about ripping the video to the hard drive so I can edit it.

I've been thinking about purchasing the Sony Vegas Platinum suite. Is there anything else I would need?

Chandra,
That's exactly what we've done around our church when we've found old footage -- there's a local business that can rip it to dvd for us pretty quickly. I'd ask your local business what file format they put the file in, then make sure Sony Vegas Platinum will work with that.

I don't know that program... I'm struggling to learn Pinnacle 11 Ultimate -- went with Pinnacle because it worked better with the hidef files from my Sony SR7 and to get that from Sony Vegas I would have to go with their Pro 8 version, which was mor than I wanted to spend.

I think there are quite a few people on this and other boards who know the Sony software and can help. Just make sure it will work with the files you're getting from your dvd maker.

Best of Luck!
Larry Becker
post #7 of 14 Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM

We have some old Hi-8 Analog tapes we would like to capture then edit and burn to DVD. can someone recommend a good quality analog capture card?

Will the new softwares like Adobe Premiere Elements 4, or Sony Vegas even work with Analog video?

would be nice to have something with a TV tuner also as long as we are buying. maybe something like this? http://hauppage.com/pages/products/data_pvr500mce.html
post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Another really easy way to do this is to get a low-end Sony Digital 8 video camera. I have one and it works great to connect to a PC/Mac and capture old Hi-8 footage as DV. The video editing software can't tell the difference because the camera does the conversion.

Here's a example of such a camera. LINK
post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

We have some old Hi-8 Analog tapes we would like to capture then edit and burn to DVD. can someone recommend a good quality analog capture card?

The Hauppage TV-tuner cards with analog in work great for this. They use a chip similar to the more expensive Osprey analog capture cards for a fraction of the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

Will the new softwares like Adobe Premiere Elements 4, or Sony Vegas even work with Analog video?

The newest versions of both will still do analog video capture. You can also use the freeware app WinDV.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincySaint View Post

Another really easy way to do this is to get a low-end Sony Digital 8 video camera. I have one and it works great to connect to a PC/Mac and capture old Hi-8 footage as DV. The video editing software can't tell the difference because the camera does the conversion.

Here's a example of such a camera. LINK

CincySaint's suggestion would be the most easiest and preferred way to transfer old Hi-8 analog tapes to your computer hard drive. Just make sure you get the model with a firewire/iLink port (DCR-TRV340 and above) as the one linked doesn't have one. You might want to check out eBay for used Digital 8 video cameras and then you can use that to transfer and capture you tapes via firewire. Be on a lookout for a Sony DCR-TRV340 or later models. It has an analog to digital pass through which allows you to take an analog source and plug it into the composite in's on the camcorder and then use the camcorder to convert the video to digital video on the fly.
BTW, the Sony Vegas video editing program you mentioned is the bomb! It is extremely user friendly and very powerful. I've been using it as my main video editing program for years.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I've taken 6 Hi-8 tapes to a stand alone dvd recorder with hard drive and editted them down to 4 discs. One can do a lot of editting on the stand alones, selecting scenes, re-sequencing, combining from any title (file) on the hdd, probably for less cost than purchasing capture cards and software. Also done considerable tape-to-tape editting on my pair of Hi-8 EV-S7000 edit vcr's.

Bought a computer a few years back just for video editting, but never mastered the art. My congratulations to those who have.

If you are willing to trust your tapes to a stranger, I'd be willing to run a raw copy from Hi-8 vcr to dvd for the price of shipping and cost of the dvd's. (I've posted a few times on the DVD RECORDERS forum, so I'm not completely new.)

Richard
post #12 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't get around not having a Hi-8 player to transfer images. But having that, the choices of transfer method is high.

Direct to DVR with a hard drive is best

The computer method

Other similar stand alone units

Ads from local town replicator or the Videomaker magazine that lists vendors.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm finally getting around to the 8mm to DV transfers also. I thought I could go the analog to digital pass-through route, because my Sony CCD-TR86 still plays the analog tapes fine, and I've got a Sony DCR-HC21 that I thought could do the conversion. Then I could just run all the video into the computer.

Trouble is, I've inspected every port on these camcorders. The only input I see on the HC21 is the iLink, which of course the TR86 does not have. The only A/V jack is an output.

I've got an LG dvd recorder my wife picked up for me last Christmas. I guess I can go that route to digitize all these tapes (yikes, I bet I've got twenty of them). But it just seems like another step in handling, since I plan on importing everything into the computer for final editing.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-30-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csupp View Post

I'm finally getting around to the 8mm to DV transfers also. I thought I could go the analog to digital pass-through route, because my Sony CCD-TR86 still plays the analog tapes fine, and I've got a Sony DCR-HC21 that I thought could do the conversion. Then I could just run all the video into the computer.

Trouble is, I've inspected every port on these camcorders. The only input I see on the HC21 is the iLink, which of course the TR86 does not have. The only A/V jack is an output.

I've got an LG dvd recorder my wife picked up for me last Christmas. I guess I can go that route to digitize all these tapes (yikes, I bet I've got twenty of them). But it just seems like another step in handling, since I plan on importing everything into the computer for final editing.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but can't you just pass the D8 from TR-86 to the comp using something like a Pinnacle Studio breakout box with analogue inputs? There are other brands with similar purpose and most sell under $ 150.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page