The "Official" Sony HDR-SR7/SR8 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Camcorders > The "Official" Sony HDR-SR7/SR8 Owner's Thread
MScEE's Avatar MScEE 12:52 PM 12-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV5655 View Post

This may be a stupid question, but do the cheaper camcorders that shoot in HD from Sony match the picture quality of the SR7? I think some of those actually have a USB port for data on the camera....

What cheaper HD Sony camcorders are you referring at? (As I don't think there are any)
The Sony HD series started with HD-SR1 and none of the models are really cheap (Unless they are outdated).
You will have to decide between a really good HD picture quality (SR7 or SR8), or SD quality with USB connectivity on the camera.
I agree with you: the lack of USB on the camera itself is a matter of nuisance (but you can live with it).

smack's Avatar smack 01:24 PM 12-14-2007
I myself didn't realize that the SR8 did not have a USB port.

How / what is the easiest way to tranfer the clips to the PC? must you hook it up to the docking port or is there a shortcut?

smack
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 01:30 PM 12-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post

I myself didn't realize that the SR8 did not have a USB port.

How / what is the easiest way to tranfer the clips to the PC? must you hook it up to the docking port or is there a shortcut?

smack

The dock is the onlt way I know of to get files off of the SR7/8...

Yoy can PLAY files off of the camera directly via the mini-HDMI plug or the component jack, but no data transfer.

Larry
kraigk's Avatar kraigk 02:29 PM 12-14-2007
Maybe Sony will come out with a cable that connects to the camera where the dock plugs in and the other end would be USB. Of course if they did it would be a $99 cable.
coolyota's Avatar coolyota 08:10 PM 12-15-2007
Hi i am newcomer to handycam.

Dose anybody have problem opening .MTS or .M2TS file in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum? In the application explorer, I don't see the file type of .MTS/.M2TS and an attemp to open avchd media get "unsupported format" error..
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 10:32 PM 12-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyota View Post

Hi i am newcomer to handycam.

Dose anybody have problem opening .MTS or .M2TS file in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum? In the application explorer, I don't see the file type of .MTS/.M2TS and an attemp to open avchd media get "unsupported format" error..

What version number of the software do you have? The comparison on the Sony site shows that Studio Platinum should READ the files, but only the Pro 8 version will write them as well: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...=447&PageID=88

Are you bringing the files into your computer with the software that came with your camera? That does some kind of "analysis" of the file that lets Picture Motion Browser show the files with thumbnails. And are you able to view the files with Picture Motion Browser on your pc?

I wanted to be able to WRITE the files as well as read them, so I went with the Pro version of the software. The Studio Platinum certainly should still be able to read them. You maybe need to upgrade to the current version, which is 8.0c. I'm sure you've tried this, but I don't know what else to suggest.

Larry
coolyota's Avatar coolyota 11:16 PM 12-15-2007
It's version 8.
I have since formatted my PC and re-install everything back, ie XP SP2, .NET 2 framework etc. And re-install Sony Vegas, I can import MTS/M2TS files now.

By the way, I am using the trial version of the software for evaluating this program.

I am new to video editing, do you think the PRO version is "overkill" for newby?
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 11:39 PM 12-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyota View Post

It's version 8.
I have since formatted my PC and re-install everything back, ie XP SP2, .NET 2 framework etc. And re-install Sony Vegas, I can import MTS/M2TS files now.

By the way, I am using the trial version of the software for evaluating this program.

I am new to video editing, do you think the PRO version is "overkill" for newby?

I'm afraid I'm not a good one to ask. I'm having a REAL DIFFICULT TIME getting my head around video editing. I am GREAT (blush, blush) at photo editing in Photoshop CS3 (using PS since the mid 80's!), but this... ick. A real problem for me is the stuttering in the preview and editing window. How do you work with that? I'm looking to get a proxy editing solution so I can work with the AVCHD files a little easier on my oldish P4, but haven't had the time to work with it.

How well does the trial version work with the preview window? Is it jittery? Mine jumps 5-20 frames at once. Plays ok in Picture Motion browser, though. Also jumpy in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11. Frustrating, and makes me want a Quad core system.

I guess I need to take some time with it -- maybe after Christmas...

Larry
kraigk's Avatar kraigk 10:27 AM 12-16-2007
Larry,

I'm relatively new to video editing as well. I helped my son and friend do a few videos for a class assingment (got an A). Anyways we did this with SD files from a Canon DC40 using Windows Movie Maker on Vista. I had to help get the files ripped off the mini-DVD's and ready to use a MPEG files but once that was done these guys produced a few pretty damn good amateur music videos.

My question to you is have you done much editing in SD? I know you want HD as we all do but now with my new SR7 in hand the plan is to master editing in either Pinnacle or some other software before moving on to HD. From all accounts HD is a frustrating exercise right now. What I'd like to know is if you feed the monster (Pinnacle with latest great PC + disk + 4gb memory) will it perform? Will the juddering be gone. Or are the AVHCD decoders being used still no fully developed? Maybe both.
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 01:38 PM 12-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk View Post

Larry,

I'm relatively new to video editing as well. I helped my son and friend do a few videos for a class assingment (got an A). Anyways we did this with SD files from a Canon DC40 using Windows Movie Maker on Vista. I had to help get the files ripped off the mini-DVD's and ready to use a MPEG files but once that was done these guys produced a few pretty damn good amateur music videos.

My question to you is have you done much editing in SD? I know you want HD as we all do but now with my new SR7 in hand the plan is to master editing in either Pinnacle or some other software before moving on to HD. From all accounts HD is a frustrating exercise right now. What I'd like to know is if you feed the monster (Pinnacle with latest great PC + disk + 4gb memory) will it perform? Will the juddering be gone. Or are the AVHCD decoders being used still no fully developed? Maybe both.

kraigk,

I have done a little editing in SD, but not enought to get comfortable. My time is a little limited until after Christmas, but I plan to spend some quality time with it. It was just so disappointing to see stuttering like that on the preview/editing timeline. It was a cruel joke... To spend that much $$ on a camcorder AND get the "best" software (Sony Vegas Pro 8), and have it perform so poorly was a bit disheartening.

The bigger question for me is, do I really want to create HD movies? For viewing them in my office or at home, the answer is, "Yes I do," because I have the appropriate monitors and even an HD projector to use. But, for example, to shoot video of some friends' kids' soccer game to give them -- they only have SD equipment, so what's the point?

I had been thinking that I'd shoot in AVCHD, edit in AVCHD and render in different resolutions for different purposes. Well, I didn't realize that rendering AVCHD files was such a long process! Nor did I realize that editing in AVCHD would tax my system so badly.

I've mentioned in other posts a "proxy file" solution that VASST has put out called Gearshift. It lets you make a lower res file to edit from, then automatically shifts the Hi def file in place of the low res file when you edit. It's specifically to allow "underpowered machines" to edit AVCHD and other HD files. It ONLY works for Sony Vegas Pro 8 (NOT the lower versions), but it's only $50 or so, so I am planning to get it. http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...d-aa4954c324a3

The other solution -- to "feed the monster" as you say, is where I'll end up, but probably next year sometime. My pc is 3+ yrs old and struggles a bit on some things, but this really taxes it. On the Sony Vegas forum site, there is someone who just got a quad-core machine and is pretty happy. Sounds like a direction to head in. I'll post a question there about stuttering to see what they say. Link: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...058&Replies=21

SD editing is more within my pc's abilities, so I probably need to shoot more in that, but I wanted to be able to shoot AVCHD for archival purposes, then render to whatever I needed... Not quite there yet...

Larry
kraigk's Avatar kraigk 02:47 PM 12-16-2007
Vasst sounds very interesting. Great idea if it works. Please let us know it does.

Having only recently jumped into the camcorder foray (I still have a hi-8 Sony) and editing files I quickly found how much power and space were needed . And then I read all the disappointed owners comments on AVCHD and lowered my expectations regarding HD.

I used Pinnacle years ago and thought it was pretty straight forward. Sony Vegas has a very jumbled, messy interface which probably explains all the reviews saying it has a steep learning curve. When I jump into the editing side of things early next year I'm going to give all the leading programs some time and decide which to use. I will say that while Windows Movie Maker may not be the most full featured program I be hoping to find one that is as easy to use.
smack's Avatar smack 09:12 AM 12-17-2007
Quote:

Vasst sounds very interesting. Great idea if it works. Please let us know it does.

Having only recently jumped into the camcorder foray (I still have a hi-8 Sony) and editing files I quickly found how much power and space were needed . And then I read all the disappointed owners comments on AVCHD and lowered my expectations regarding HD.

Are your expectations lower because of the system required to edit or because the AVCHD video quality that cameras produce?
NV5655's Avatar NV5655 09:34 AM 12-17-2007
Quote:

Maybe Sony will come out with a cable that connects to the camera where the dock plugs in and the other end would be USB. Of course if they did it would be a $99 cable.

Hmm, maybe there already is one out there? I'm not even sure what that port is called, or else I'd do asearch on it.

Has anyone heard from a Sony rep as to WHY they never include a USB port? It can't be to keep size and weight down, as the Cannon model has one and it's one of the smallest out there.
kraigk's Avatar kraigk 10:14 AM 12-17-2007
Quote:

Are your expectations lower because of the system required to edit or because the AVCHD video quality that cameras produce?

I have seen excellent AVCHD video quality. I don' think that is the issue. I have not tried to edit AVCHD yet but based on all my reading it is quite challenging.

Video files in general are big. HD files are huge. Regardless of compression method HD files would be a challenge. So the combination of giant files and a fairly new compression algorithm have AVCHD being extra difficult. I think it is still in it's infancy. My crystal ball says editing AVCHD will be a breeze by this time next year

Quote:

Hmm, maybe there already is one out there? I'm not even sure what that port is called, or else I'd do asearch on it.

Has anyone heard from a Sony rep as to WHY they never include a USB port? It can't be to keep size and weight down, as the Cannon model has one and it's one of the smallest out there.

The little base station is pretty portable. For me it isn't a big deal not having a USB cable direct to camera.

On a side note the mini-HDMI cable that is not included with the SRx cameras can be had at monoprice for $5. They are out of stock right now but they do have an adaptor at the same $$. Plug the adaptor into your camera and then a regular hdmi cable into it.
jaronliu's Avatar jaronliu 02:46 PM 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

I ended up buying the Vegas Pro 8 software (you're right... $$$$$!), but I looked at the Ulead software. On their web page there is a button to press for "Free HD Powerpack." Isn't that what you're asking about? Here's the link: How do preview files look with Ulead? With Sony Vegas Pro 8, they're pretty choppy and hard to work with, even on pretty adequate machines. Still looking for solutions.

Larry

Hi I cant seem to download the free powerpack. Can someone please upload somewhere or send to me please? Its werid!
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 03:31 PM 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronliu View Post

Hi I cant seem to download the free powerpack. Can someone please upload somewhere or send to me please? Its werid!

It looks like Corel is having problems with their server (according to the Ulead forum). Someone on the forum posted a direct link to the download page that seems to work:

http://www.ulead.com/tech/vs/vs_ftp.htm

You have to register to get it, so I can't access it, but the links seem to work. Let us know if this helps!

Larry
jaronliu's Avatar jaronliu 01:46 AM 12-19-2007
Quote:

It looks like Corel is having problems with their server (according to the Ulead forum). Someone on the forum posted a direct link to the download page that seems to work:

You have to register to get it, so I can't access it, but the links seem to work. Let us know if this helps!

Larry

Hi, I have tried registering as a new user but still not possible to download! Strange... Anyone else have this powerpack file and can share?
smack's Avatar smack 08:04 AM 12-19-2007
Here is my problem. I had made my decision to get a new HDR SR7 for christmas (I know I wait until the last minute). However, I look at BB & CC and they do not have this camera listed on their sites. I could have sworn it was there a week or two ago??

Anyway, it is still listed at Amazon and I can get there, but I was wondering if they are clearing the shelves for a new model at CES '08. And yes, I know the old, if you wait, you willl never have anything rule.

Again, I was just puzzled because I thought it was available on both of these sites a week ago.

smack
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 09:51 AM 12-19-2007
Quote:

Here is my problem. I had made my decision to get a new HDR SR7 for christmas (I know I wait until the last minute). However, I look at BB & CC and they do not have this camera listed on their sites. I could have sworn it was there a week or two ago??

Anyway, it is still listed at Amazon and I can get there, but I was wondering if they are clearing the shelves for a new model at CES '08. And yes, I know the old, if you wait, you willl never have anything rule.

Again, I was just puzzled because I thought it was available on both of these sites a week ago.

smack

I don't know about the CC and BB sites, but I see it ISN'T on the Sony site this morning, and the last time I saw it, it was on sale there. The SR8 is still there. Maybe they are discontinuing that model? Or maybe they are trying to position the SR8 as their AVCHD hard disk camcorder. It CAN'T cost much more to put a 100bg drive (SR8) in than a 60gb drive (SR7).

Larry
kraigk's Avatar kraigk 11:42 AM 12-19-2007
The SonyStyle sale ended a few days ago. I bought my SR7 from B&H Photo last week for $999. The price is now $1099. You might call and whine and get the $999 price. B&H has good prices/warranties as well. I got mine in two days as promised, all worked out just as planned.
smack's Avatar smack 12:28 PM 12-19-2007
Yes, thanks I saw it at B&H. I was just curious about a possible replacement being announced soon as BB & CC were not carrying them at this point.

I think I may wait until CES because I am not in a huge hurry.
NV5655's Avatar NV5655 04:01 PM 12-19-2007
I'm not in a hurry, but the $999 price point is an intriguing possibility right now. I'd rather get it at that now, than wait for it to go down from $1299 at the next holiday.

But, if they come out with a new model that actually has a USB connector on it, I'd kick myself for not waiting. When is CES datewise?
smack's Avatar smack 04:40 PM 12-19-2007
Quote:

I'm not in a hurry, but the $999 price point is an intriguing possibility right now. I'd rather get it at that now, than wait for it to go down from $1299 at the next holiday.

But, if they come out with a new model that actually has a USB connector on it, I'd kick myself for not waiting. When is CES datewise?

CES is Jan 7th - 10th 2008 in Vegas
NV5655's Avatar NV5655 04:55 PM 12-19-2007
Thanks,

Quick google search found the official site, but it's a tad confusing to find relevant info..
xradman's Avatar xradman 02:30 PM 12-20-2007
Quote:

SR7: High Definition: XP = up to 8 hours HQ = up to 14 hours, SP = up to 17 hours, LP = up to 22 hours.
Standard Definition: HQ = up to 14 hours, SP = up to 21 hours, LP = up to 41 hours.

SR8: High Definition: XP = up to13 hours HQ = up to 24 hours, SP = up to 30 hours, LP = up to 38 hours.
Standard Definition: HQ = up to 24 hours, SP = up to 36 hours, LP = up to 70 hours.

Just got one yesterday from Amazon for Christmas. I think a bigger capacity battery is definitely needed. Can anyone comment on quality differences with these different recording settings? The manual that came with the camera was one of the worst I've read. Are the resolution kept the same with different quality level? Given the large size of HD files, I'd like to go as low as possible while maintaining decent quality.
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 02:13 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Just got one yesterday from Amazon for Christmas. I think a bigger capacity battery is definitely needed. Can anyone comment on quality differences with these different recording settings? The manual that came with the camera was one of the worst I've read. Are the resolution kept the same with different quality level? Given the large size of HD files, I'd like to go as low as possible while maintaining decent quality.

"Decent quality" would be a matter of personal choice, I guess... I didn't care for it, but I can see the value of it for taping a really LONG event, for example. I was thinking it was kind of like the different recording qualities on a VHS tape. Sometimes ELP was ok, but not usually.

I have mine set at the highest level and will archive that original material. As I'm learning to edit (a WAY TOO SLOW PROCESS for my tired, old brain), I will render the edited material into SD or whatever format is needed for the final product, but I will generally record HD at the highest quality level. If I need more recording time, I'd likely go to SD.

I bought the 70 battery to complement the 60 that came with the camera. The 100's stick out quite a bit but I can see when it would be needed, I guess. I also bought the AC Adaptor/Charger AC-VQH10 which has a cord to run the camcorder off of ac for those REALLY LONG events where you can set up on a tripod (weddings, etc).

Larry
newyorkr's Avatar newyorkr 09:14 AM 12-21-2007
Hello guys,

I got HDR-SR7 lately, and I'm using iMovie 08 to edit it. This camcorder is the very first camcorder in my life, so I'm very excited about it.

But, I noticed that Right MIC's audio input is higher than Left MIC. I noticed this by looking at the volume level that's in the iMovie 08's interface, and also by listening carefully using stereo headphone) I even tried talking on the left side of camcorder and talking on the right side of camcorder while recording, and still Right MIC's input is higher. Did anyone notice this, or it's just mine? Is this something to do with DOLBY 5.1 by any chance? Is there any way to use regular sound recording?

Also, I've been trying only indoors shooting, and it's pretty grainy and lots of noise, when I downloaded it to my Mac and saw it in iMovie. Honestly, I don't have HDTV yet, so I connected SR7 directly to SONY CRT TV using A/V Connecting Cable, and when I did that, it looked pretty good, and noise is hardly noticeable compared to the noise seen in the Mac's monitor. I used the highest setting HD XP(?), and I played around with exposure setting as well, but didn't touch other settings. If you guys know any good idea how to make this better, please let me know.

Thanks.
LDBecker's Avatar LDBecker 11:51 AM 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkr View Post

Hello guys,

I got HDR-SR7 lately, and I'm using iMovie 08 to edit it. This camcorder is the very first camcorder in my life, so I'm very excited about it.

But, I noticed that Right MIC's audio input is higher than Left MIC. I noticed this by looking at the volume level that's in the iMovie 08's interface, and also by listening carefully using stereo headphone) I even tried talking on the left side of camcorder and talking on the right side of camcorder while recording, and still Right MIC's input is higher. Did anyone notice this, or it's just mine? Is this something to do with DOLBY 5.1 by any chance? Is there any way to use regular sound recording?

Also, I've been trying only indoors shooting, and it's pretty grainy and lots of noise, when I downloaded it to my Mac and saw it in iMovie. Honestly, I don't have HDTV yet, so I connected SR7 directly to SONY CRT TV using A/V Connecting Cable, and when I did that, it looked pretty good, and noise is hardly noticeable compared to the noise seen in the Mac's monitor. I used the highest setting HD XP(?), and I played around with exposure setting as well, but didn't touch other settings. If you guys know any good idea how to make this better, please let me know.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, newyorkr,

I am a pc user and use Sony Vegas Pro 8 for my editing, but when I checked my camcorder's output levels, it was the same on the right or left.

I don't know of any way to force the camcorder to record in only stereo. I went through the menus and the manual and I don't see anything. It can be done through editing software, but not directly on the camcorder (as far as I can tell...)

Indoor shots are a problem for camcorders. Have you thought about getting a small video light for indoor use? It really helps in small settings, and the small ones aren't too expensive or intrusive. I listed the one I got at the beginning of this thread.

I have a Sony HD CRT set (1080i) and much prefer the look of files from the SR7 on that over my Mitsubishi 1080p LCD. Something about CRT's... I use the HDMI connection and it's pretty slick.

Good luck with the new camcorder!

Larry
DoritoOfDeath's Avatar DoritoOfDeath 04:17 PM 12-21-2007
Is there any way to use the SR7 as a webcam?
xradman's Avatar xradman 05:18 PM 12-21-2007
Quote:

"Decent quality" would be a matter of personal choice, I guess... I didn't care for it, but I can see the value of it for taping a really LONG event, for example. I was thinking it was kind of like the different recording qualities on a VHS tape. Sometimes ELP was ok, but not usually.

I have mine set at the highest level and will archive that original material. As I'm learning to edit (a WAY TOO SLOW PROCESS for my tired, old brain), I will render the edited material into SD or whatever format is needed for the final product, but I will generally record HD at the highest quality level. If I need more recording time, I'd likely go to SD.

I bought the 70 battery to complement the 60 that came with the camera. The 100's stick out quite a bit but I can see when it would be needed, I guess. I also bought the AC Adaptor/Charger AC-VQH10 which has a cord to run the camcorder off of ac for those REALLY LONG events where you can set up on a tripod (weddings, etc).

Larry

I'm not so much concerned about the recording time of the hard drive. Even at maximum quality, I don't think I'll run out of hard drive capacity for any single event. My concern is with transfer and editing. If I could get away with 2GB file instead of 6GB file, it would make everything so much easier and faster. It's a royal pain to work with such big file, not to mention storage problems. I wish they had a 720P option for these cameras. Since my entire home is networked and all my TVs are connected to HTPCs, I like to convert all the home movies to WMV or DivX AVIs. The interlaced contents all suffer from serious combing artifacts that I've not been able to eliminate during these conversions.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop