The "Official" Sony HDR-SR7/SR8 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 229 Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is that the 10 hour battery, you mean? I'd be interested in seeing how long it really lasts. I will be investing in one for my SR11

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

www.youtube.com/WPLJTV for 95.5 contests and concerts

www.youtube.com/NTV1978 for Geek stuff :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 229 Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I would like the latest recommendations for:

1. The best conversion software to use to convert my Sony clips to a format that I can edit on my desktop to give me the best quality conversion possible, one that equals the original quality of the hard drive version of the clip if such a thing exists.
2. Video editing software that is user friendly and not too hard to master. I like using sophisticated software if the basic functions can be mastered quickly. The rest can be learned later and then become an asset.
3. Basic computer specs for a powerful desktop so I can use to do a lot of editing efficiently without bogging down the CPU or the hard drive.
4. What kind of video card should I get?
5. Did I forget anything?

sony vegas is the best choice ,editing and converting to other formats
is really easy!!!
you don't need a video card to transfer files from the camcorder to the
PC,just use the USB
wait a few days for the PC specs,i'm testing new PCs that my friends
just bought!!!!!!!
post #183 of 229 Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Ok so i got the camera, ACVQH10 AC Adaptor, NPFH100 battery, HVL-HL1 Video Light, and the camera, of course.

So what type of carry cases are you guys using as i need to get one myself.
post #184 of 229 Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM
P_W

I just got an SR7 a few weeks ago and I have been pleased with it. I have been using the Sony Movie Studio Platinum software, since I'm a student I got it for around 80 bucks or so but it lists for 115 I think. I have had good success coverting the files into wmv, it comes out pretty well, so long as you export it with 30 fps.

As for computers, I had a 3200+ athlon and 512mb of ram, then upgraded to a athlon 4800+ (85 bucks) and 2gb of ram (100 bucks), and it made a world of difference. The video playback now is smooth, but now I am bottlenecked by my monitors refresh rate. I don't own an HD TV yet but I plugged the camera into one and the playback was much better than on the computer. I will be getting a new videocard and monitor and I'll see if that makes any difference.

Just my 2 cents on the video quality, it does GREAT outdoors in the sunlight, it looked like watching and HD channel on the TV. Indoors it does get a little grainy, unless you are right under a light or the room is very well lit. So far I have been very pleased with this little camera and I definitely think it is worth the money.
post #185 of 229 Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 AM

I am having a rough go at finding specs for a laptop to run vegas/AVCHD rendering.

If anyone is editing and rendering in 1080i with ease please post specs. I am leaning quadcore/desktop.
post #186 of 229 Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I went from having issues (choppy playback) on a 2.8 GHz P4 to no issues with the Q6600 2.4GHz Quad core. Reviews of dual cores have been mixed. I'd say don't mess around, get the quad. It's not that much more $ than a dual core anyway.

edit: I guess I should mention I have it overclocked to 3.0 GHz. Using a gigabyte ds3r with 2 gigs ram on xp (will get more ram if I ever decide to go to vista) and a 8600GT (ddr3) video card. The Q6600 overclocks very easily, I got it to 3.0 with almost no effort, just had to bump vcore one notch, stock cooling. Very stable running prime95.
post #187 of 229 Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM

Nice setup sievers...

I would rather have a laptop if I had a choice.

I would like to hear some real world user experiences with a high end 2+ GHz mobile core 2 duo.

I should mention specifically the new Penryn lapys which Im sure few people have, so basically I should me the guy to get one and report....
post #188 of 229 Old 02-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Like most people, I have a bunch of PCs, but I use my media/gaming PC for video editing. It is a quadcore Q6700, overclocked to 3ghz, 4GB RAM, dual SLI GTS 8800 video, Vista 64, and connected to my Samsung 1080p 63" plasma. My dual core laptops work for video editing, but life is too short. The gaming system really is way, way faster.
post #189 of 229 Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just upgraded to 4GB's of Ram. First time ever in 15 years of computing. I hope it'll be enough to handle the SR11 as the only thing I can upgrade now is the core 2 duo

post #190 of 229 Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Is there anything out there yet to edit AVCHD? I want to leave the clips in native avchd (.m2ts) and write an avchd disc with menus???
post #191 of 229 Old 03-01-2008, 12:29 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I found this forum and thought I'd make an account to post about the SR12. I just received my SR12 today (I live in Canada) and already I'm tempted to return it but am not sure yet. It's almost like it's two different cameras, in bright light the quality is absolutely amazing, on my 52" Viera it's really incredible, but in lower light situations I find it to ridiculously grainy. I don't know if I'm just being picky or what, but for the price I paid I expected much better. I had been researching cameras for a long time and I knew I wanted an HDD camcorder, the SR7 seemed like a good choice but the low light issues kept me from buying right away, then the SR12 was announced and I assumed the new CMOS with BIONZ and Exmor would surely rid the problems in low light of the SR7. But in a review I read, they said the fact that they are putting more pixels onto a smaller chip would probably end up being just as noisy. Being the impatient person I am, as soon as I found out it was available in Canada through my local Sony store, I ordered it and now I'm not sure what to do. At least I have a few weeks to play with it and I'll return it if the low light issue keeps bothering me.

I should say however, that I tried adjusting the exposure and other settings (and I am on the highest HD setting) as some others have said in this forum and it does reduce noise, but I personally don't think that this is a reasonable thing to have to do on a camera like this. I guess I just assumed that Sony might've taken the bad reviews of low light on the SR7 and tried to fix them for the SR11/12 but it seems they just threw some fancy words at it (BIONZ/Exmor). I haven't used an SR7 so I can't say definitively that the SR12 is as bad in low light, but for me personally it's pretty bad.

The 10.2MP still-shot though is excellent! That was the other deciding factor in purchasing this camera, I wanted a good still camera, and the SR12 definately delivers in this area.

There is, by the way, a USB port on the actual camera, and a dock is also included. The mini-HDMI is still there and that's troublesome, the Sony Store didn't even carry them.

Anyways, thought I'd just let some of you know what I think of the SR12 so far but I still have a lot of experimenting to do. I suppose it's my fault for being impatient, I really should've waited for some of the big reviewers to get their hands on this cam before I sprung for it but at least I can still return it if I want!
post #192 of 229 Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1537
Mindcm, virtually all HD cams are terrible in poor light. Everyone's definition of 'low light' is a bit different, but I've yet to find an HD cam that looks good in low light. The nature of HD is that it needs plenty of light. This is even true of professional, megabuck HD cams. You can watch some shows recorded with these cams and see many of them producing tons of grain in low light.

Yes, some are worse than others, but in general once you've seen how good they look in good light, it's natural to be disappointed with how they look in low light. Some companies take different approaches to this issue. Some will dramatically soften the picture to hide some of the noise (Sony has done this in the past with some of their HD cams). Others will retain the sharpness and let you live with the grain. Still others will allow you to switch to a 24p mode or automatically engage a 'slow shutter speed' which takes in more light.

The bottom line? They all suck in low light to varying degree. The answer you don't want to hear is that you MUST light your subject in low light to get really good video...there's no way around it.
post #193 of 229 Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 AM

grr...damn..i was going to get that camera but i didnt think id be able to order it..as i too was impatient and "settled" on the "7".

Ah well..ive just got the widescreen lens.
post #194 of 229 Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

So happy to hear the USB port is for data transfer and confirmed. Who uses a docking station these days anyway? Sort of like Docking stations for laptops, ugh..

Well, the Best Buy on Route 17 in Paramus didn't have the cam on display. We might try Circuit City tonight..

Oh, and my SR200 is terrible in low light too. Too bad night vision can't do color, because that fixes the problem of grain .

post #195 of 229 Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Mindcm, virtually all HD cams are terrible in poor light. Everyone's definition of 'low light' is a bit different, but I've yet to find an HD cam that looks good in low light. The nature of HD is that it needs plenty of light. This is even true of professional, megabuck HD cams. You can watch some shows recorded with these cams and see many of them producing tons of grain in low light.

Yes, some are worse than others, but in general once you've seen how good they look in good light, it's natural to be disappointed with how they look in low light. Some companies take different approaches to this issue. Some will dramatically soften the picture to hide some of the noise (Sony has done this in the past with some of their HD cams). Others will retain the sharpness and let you live with the grain. Still others will allow you to switch to a 24p mode or automatically engage a 'slow shutter speed' which takes in more light.

The bottom line? They all suck in low light to varying degree. The answer you don't want to hear is that you MUST light your subject in low light to get really good video...there's no way around it.

Hi Kenross, I completely understand what you're saying and I agree. Like I said I am probably just being too picky and also, I don't have other HD cams to compare this one too. I'm not trying to steer anyone away from considering this camera as it does offer a great many things (amazing steadyshot and still-shot, clear vivid video with amazing color in good light, USB on cam, good sound, etc.) Everything I've read seems too corroborate what you say about no HD cam being great in low light but just going by my own opinion on what would be reasonable, this camera is grainy in even what I'd consider moderate light, I mean, in a small room with 4 compact fluorescent lights on, it is still too grainy for my taste. I know that's not that much light but the ratio of grain to light I think is pretty high. (Is there a proper term for that haha).

I personally think the AVCHD compression is contributing, something else I've begun to notice is in a room which is unevenly lit, meaning the five halogen lights on track on one side of our living room, and the other side with less light, when panning the camera across this room the motion is very smooth, with no artifacts or trailing, and very clear. But as you move towards an area of less light the video not only becomes grainy very rapidly but also becomes extremely choppy and then often loses focus and will not even try to adjust itself, like it thinks it is in focus already, it won't catch on until you move the camera back and forth. When it does try to focus it happens extremely slowly. Like you said everyone's definition of low light is different, I know that by actual definition, anything less than full sunlight is considered low light, but the amount of grain in a given light situation for me seems unreasonable. I really believe the extra pixels on a smaller chip must be the main culprit, I just wish I had an SR7 to compare this camera too, I just want to know if this camera really does have worse low light performance than the SR7 as has been suggested in the "first impressions" of one of the major reviewers (not sure If I'm allowed to post the name).

These are just my own opinions so far, and my knowledge and experience with HD is very limited so I appreciate your experience. I just think this cam may not be right for me and am considering perhaps an HDV cam such as the HV30 because as I understand, the video quality is much better, even in low light. But of course I will lose the convenience of HDD and also the amazing 10.2 MP still-shot. Which were the two main things I wanted in a camera, so I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I've seen low light video from the Canon XH A1 and it's amazing, but that's sllightly out of my range hahaha. Thank you, and any help or recommendations would be great! Perhaps the HC9? Just not sure if I'm ready to abandon the idea of HDD

Sorry I've gone on so long haha, I don't usually post in forums, I guess that's why, I tend to go on and on.
post #196 of 229 Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 PM

AUTO SLOW SHUTTER set to OFF-no noise ,no grain at all!!!
post #197 of 229 Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigouris View Post

AUTO SLOW SHUTTER set to OFF-no noise ,no grain at all!!!

Wow, that certainly makes a big difference. My inexperience is quite apparant haha, it reduced the grain a fair amount but completely got rid of the choppiness which was very annoying, I should have known, shutter speed makes sense. I wonder why "ON" would be the default setting, it clearly looks much worse.

Do you have the SR11/12? Or is this a setting from the SR7/8 cam as well?
post #198 of 229 Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM

i have the SR8!!!!
post #199 of 229 Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Are the still pictures really that good? Can you upload some still pics from the camera. The still capabilities of this camera may be the deciding factor for me between this camera and the Panasonic SD9 and Canon HF100.

Thanks!
post #200 of 229 Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post

Are the still pictures really that good? Can you upload some still pics from the camera. The still capabilities of this camera may be the deciding factor for me between this camera and the Panasonic SD9 and Canon HF100.

Thanks!

Hi, there. Unfortunately I returned the camera yesterday, I couldn't bring myself to jump all the hurdles that the AVCHD codec poses. Too much of a headache to edit. That's not to say it's impossible, just too much for me to want to deal with, I have enough to deal with with my music studio already haha. After trying a few short editing experiments, I realized that editing hours of footage from a trip would be just way to much for me.

But about the stills, like I said they are very nice. That's in my own opinion, I used to shoot a lot of film way back and was quite heavily into photography but now I'm not so in to it, and I'm quite happy with just a decent point and shoot digital camera. I don't make prints of my pictures either, and that's where quality issues will really become apparent. But I do think the SR12's pictures are very clear, have great color, and the fact that they are coming from a video camera is pretty amazing. The one thing that did bother me is the off centre flash can make objects cast some pretty noticeable shadows to one side. I've heard people talking about the SR7 flash being too bright but in the menu of the SR12 you can adjust the flash to 3 different brightness settings, so I'm not sure if the SR7 had that, but the SR12 does. I don't have any pictures on my computer from the camera so I can't send any sorry. Like I said I'm no pro, but in my opinion I think the stills are great and I'd imagine they would make wonderful prints.

Hope this helped a little, I don't have the cam anymore but if there are any more questions I'll do my best to answer them from my few days of experience using it LOL.
post #201 of 229 Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
mindcm..what kind of computer were you trying to edit with? That also factors into the time it would take to edit.

I am building a Quad Core PC with 4GB RAM to do my editing just for that reason
post #202 of 229 Old 03-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post

mindcm..what kind of computer were you trying to edit with? That also factors into the time it would take to edit.

I am building a Quad Core PC with 4GB RAM to do my editing just for that reason

There is tons of info out there on editing AVCHD so I wouldn't be the best to ask about it, but I do build computers and have a pretty powerful music production computer, although I only like to use it for my music projects so I attempted editing on my Macbook Pro which is a pretty quick computer but mebbe not the best for AVCHD. I would've recommended a quad core for sure and as much RAM and HD space as possible, I might even consider a RAID setup. I have very limited experience with AVCHD but as far as my knowledge of computers serves me I'd say the system your lookin at putting together would do the trick, and considering it a desktop then you can always upgrade, just be sure to build your computer with upgrading in mind just in case (extra ports for a second video card and things like that). Perhaps even get a dual CPU motherboard and you could always upgrade to a second processor hehehe.

My macbook did handle the editing, but very slow to render out and I resorted to using Vegas Pro 8 which isn't a program I prefer. Not sure if Premiere supports AVCHD yet but that's the program I like. From everything I've read, and everyone I've talked to (and surprisingly even the guys at the Sony store) all say that if you're serious about editing, go HDV. But if you get yourself a pimped powerhouse computer I'm sure the SR12 will serve you well.

Also don't forget you can always network render files too, share the load between a few computers over a network, which is always an option.

Also just in case anyone is wondering, I ran Vegas Pro 8 because I only run Windows XP on my Mac via Bootcamp, and contrary to popular belief, it does run natively and extremely fast and actually performs better than a PC with the same specs.
post #203 of 229 Old 03-24-2008, 02:23 PM

What is a good battery replacement with longer battery power. I've read on this thread about the NPFH100, however it doesn't look like it is compatible with the HDR-SR7's.

Matnick
post #204 of 229 Old 03-31-2008, 06:13 PM

has anyone connected it to the ps3?
If so..how did u do it?(having issues)
post #205 of 229 Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM

When you plug it in, press triangle and press view all, then go to the correct folder.
Hoped that Helped!

Chi Town Baby!
Ye Yea!
post #206 of 229 Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 PM

what cable did u use?
the usb?
post #207 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah I used the USB and it will show up on the screen.

Chi Town Baby!
Ye Yea!
post #208 of 229 Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I got an SR7 about 9 months ago for the birth of our first child. Its been decent enough to capture the moments but I basically just take video and then now and then connect the cam via usb to my ps3 and copy the clips over to my ps3 hdd (took out the 2.5" 60gb hdd in my ps3 and put a 320gb one in) and we watch the videos on the tv from the ps3. Works great looks nice.

I have yet to bother making any sd dvds or avchd dvds or doing any editing but I can't get software to do that. For her first bday party at the end of the summer we are thinking of doing a pic and video montage set to music of some of the best pics and video clips but I may just want to have a professional put it together (possibly same guy who did our wedding video).

I got a nice sony carrying case for it which has worked well enough, the mini hdmi cable which I end up not using since I connect it to the ps3 via usb and when we take to our parents houses we end up using component or even rca cus they dont have hdmi easily accesible. I did get a larger second battery (not the largest so it wouldn't be too bulky) and not sure if the wall plug charger came with cam , the battery or i got it separately but that works well enough to have a spare and then charge the one that was low. I got the lower end light attachment which i've used like once and works well enough for a smaller cheaper light. I think thats it for extras/accessories which is good as you can get carried away and haven't really needed anything else.

As everyone knows the low light pq is not the best and shame about that for ppl getting these hd cams for new babies is that I guess it sounds like all hd cams (though i guess the avchd hdd ones are worse) are all bad in low light? And obviously when you are filming a baby you are indoors usually and in dimmer lighting so as not to blind the kid.

But outdoor pq is great and when I first got it was recording stutff outside in nature from horses to closeups of berries to trees like it was discovery hd theatre and the hd pq was amazing but it got boring after awhile, heh.

Anyway when i saw the sr11/sr12 come out and that he sr7 is basically discontinued I was concerned the new ones were way better and one review (which I know closed the browser window for so forget it) really made it seem like the sr11/sr12 are way better and improved over the sr7/sr8 so i was thinkinga bout seeling my sr7 for a sr12 for the improvements of the next gen and the larger hdd but now seeing that the sr12 has the same low light issues its probably not worth it and we have yet to fill up the 60gb hdd so no real need to get the 120gb cus at some point you probably should back up your content to one or 2 other places and start to delete off the cam where as with the 120gb you may just end up keeping it all on there and never for a long long time need to transfer any video off which could almost be a bad thing.

I was aware of the acclaimed Canon HV20 but did not want to deal with mini dv tapes even if it was better then the sr7. Now Canon has an avchd hdd camcorder that is supposedly just as good or better then its HV20 min dv tape camcorder but is avchd hdd and is supposedly kind of impressive being that avchd is a diff video format then hdv or whatever the hv20 min dv tape based cam uses. But alas the Canon HG10 is only 40gb so I can't do it. As much as I dont think I need 120gb, I need at least 60gb and something in between 60 and 120gb would be ideal though bigger is always usually better for me with hdd so maybe I would end up loving 120gb (even though i just previously said it would be too big, i guess i'm prob just making excuses not to pay more for double the hdd)

Anyway when Canon makes an HG20 (as i'm sure they will) with a larger hdd (60gb or larger) then i might think about selling the Sr7 to get one but till then the SR7 has been great for our needs.

For babies first summer I just want to get the waterproof case Sony SPK-HCD (previous version whose model# i forget now was discontinued) for some underwater shots but also mostly just to protect from water at teh pool and sand at the beach.

Does anyone use the Sony SPK-HCD waterproof case for their SR7/SR8 and what do you think?

any other suggestions on how to enhance use of the SR7? And what do you think of the Canon HG10 and if there will be a model with larger hdd then that current 40gb (HG20 with 80gb maybe?) and if so would that be worth selling the SR7 to get?
post #209 of 229 Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 PM

I just got the SR7 and still learning how to use it for more than vanilla.

One thing I can see that this does is live video as in using it as a webcam equivalent. My old Sony TRV20 had firewire that could be recognized for live video feed...while I understand that High Def might not be available for this due to the data load, is there any way to use the SR7 in SD for live video without using a digital frame grab card?

Robert
post #210 of 229 Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Hey everyone, I am having a hard time downloading the HD video onto my macbook pro intel through Imovie 08. Im trying to delete all the SD video that I have on the camera and have done it a few times on the camera but when I hook the camera up to my computer and open Imovie is is still showing a 4 sec clip of SD video that I shot a long time ago that has never shown up on the camera in Imovie import before. Any ideas on how I can get this off with out losing the HD video I have on my camera now. Is there a way to get it off the hard drive through my computer. Help please!
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page