Easy merging of .m2ts small files into one - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My SONY PS3 plays native AVCHD files perfectly well and the rendering on my Samsung 52 inches plasma is superb. However the software embedded in the PS2 cannot play the next file. I have to get out and press play again, which is really not nice at all.

Since I have no time spending days and nights doing AVCHD video editing, I am looking for a simple tool that could assemble my thousands of m2ts files into one, based on a simple criteria, such as the date those files were produced. The objective is to play them on my PS3.

I have tried a simple way, a binary copy of the .m2ts transport files:
copy /b file1+file2+...Filex mergedfile.m2ts
The result is OK for file1, but the rest becomes crap when reading.

Then I tried other video editing softwares such as Power Director 6, Sony VEGAS. It took 20 mn on my powerful Dual Core 2 Gb RAM PC to assemble just
2 videos of 30 seconds each !!! I estimated the time to perform this very simple operation to be several months considering the thousands of small files I have collected over one year.

Can anyone help in proposing a simple solution that does not require thousand hours of processing power to perform a very simple operation ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep an eye on VideoReDo... in their support forums, they mention they're in the process of adding the ability to edit native H.264/AVCHD transport streams. Should be great for quick and dirty editing without any time-consuming transcoding or re-encoding.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mark. Interesting and simple solution when they support AVCHD.
post #4 of 32 Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
I've been using Nero Vision which comes bundled with Nero 8 Ultimate. Nero Vision will create AVCHD discs on single or dual layer recordable dvd's. AVCHD discs are playable on PS3. Or you can burn to Blu-Ray if you have a Blu-Ray burner. With Nero Vision you can combine m2ts clips into one when preparing your AVCHD disc. The last update to Nero added SmartEncoding capability which makes the transcoding process FAST. If the m2ts clips you're burning are all AVCHD-compliant, Nero Vision will do straight transcoding and not re-encode every clip like other programs do. I burned a 45 minute (over 5 gigs of clips ) AVCHD disc yesterday from clips I recorded with my Canon HG10. I combined all the m2ts clips into one. The transcoding process only took about 10 minutes.
post #5 of 32 Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have installed Nero 8.2.8.0 and tried to link 3 sets of M2TS files, totalling a little bit more than 3 Gb. I linked the .M2TS files by clicking on the icon "merge files". I selected AVCHD 1440x1080 as output format (same as my Sony HD-DR1). I chose not to burn a DVD but to produce folders and files instead.
My machine is an Intel Core Duo with Gb RAM. The process went well but for unknown reason the software hangs during several minutes on the same frame, then restarts normally. It took the night to complete...
post #6 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 AM

[quote=tchrin;12804726]My SONY PS3 plays native AVCHD files perfectly well and the rendering on my Samsung 52 inches plasma is superb. However the software embedded in the PS2 cannot play the next file. I have to get out and press play again, which is really not nice at all.

QUOTE]

I've ripped Blu Ray files in the past and not that I want to keep 20-30G
file around forever but he file format of the ripped files are .m2ts
These ripped files would not play on my ps-3 have you tried this?

Sounds like Video redo to nero would need to transcode the format?

Big Thanks
post #7 of 32 Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 PM

Big thanks to Phoenix Cayote! Your detailed instructions were just what I needed.
Downloaded Nero 8 (it would not work on my old win2k pc, but it was okay on the new Vista after I changed the display - screen resolution - to meet its needs). Then used Nero Vision and it was easy to combine my eight .m2ts files (from a Sony Handycam, transferred to pc, totalling five minutes and 300 Mb), and even put in two audio tracks, and moderate the volume of each (the original video's corresponding audio and each of the two additional tracks). I failed to figure out how to speed up or slow down segments of video, or do other sophisticated AV editting tricks I have seen performed, if that is possible with Nero 8. Compression took a while (45 min?) with low resolution output, and a long while (3.5 hours) with high resolution output. Thanks again.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM

alphatango -
What worked for me was to re-name the .m2ts file to .mpg file...it then played on the PS3.

TJH3
post #9 of 32 Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 AM

if you use linux, you could do:

$cat *m2ts > all.m2ts

or

$cat file1.m2ts file3.m2ts file4.m2ts file8.m2ts > all.m2ts

and so forth.
post #10 of 32 Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Anyone tired TSSplitter (free software to split/join files)?
post #11 of 32 Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Would that "cat" solution actually work? Doesn't each file contain header information? While it would create one big file I wouldn't think it would be a valid file???
post #12 of 32 Old 04-05-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post

if you use linux, you could do:

$cat *m2ts > all.m2ts

or

$cat file1.m2ts file3.m2ts file4.m2ts file8.m2ts > all.m2ts

and so forth.

Are u able to playback avchd files in your linux enviroment? Have u tried any of the windows avchd editing software with wine?
post #13 of 32 Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

The perfect solution is TSMuxeR from www.smlabs.net. A freeware that does exactly what I was looking for. I have assembled thousands of small .m2ts files into 400 Mb files. It takes only 60 seconds to create this 400 MB file on a CoreDuo machine.
TSMuxer can also split too big files. The Linux concatenation commands do not work on video files, since the resulting file header is not modified.
post #14 of 32 Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrin View Post

The perfect solution is TSMuxeR from www.smlabs.net. A freeware that does exactly what I was looking for. I have assembled thousands of small .m2ts files into 400 Mb files. It takes only 60 seconds to create this 400 MB file on a CoreDuo machine.
TSMuxer can also split too big files. The Linux concatenation commands do not work on video files, since the resulting file header is not modified.

I also recommend you use a solution like this, as there's really no point in recompressing the files just to concatenate them (like what Nero seems to be doing if it takes overnight to do this), unless it's to actually author an AVCHD disk, which again, should only recompress what needed (menu, transitions, effects, overlay titling, etc). This should not be an overnight thing.

The one thing I don't know about TSMuxeR and TSSplitter are if they keep and merge metadata. This might not be a big issue either way, but it would be a shame to lose it when doing that operation. My $0.02 anyway.
post #15 of 32 Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:

I hope this works as this is exactly what I want to do with my PS3. I record my son's football games and I don't want to end up with 60 files per game (one for each 10 second play). I look forward to trying this out!
post #16 of 32 Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

I use a free little utility that came from Canon with my HG10 AVCHD cam. It is the answer.

It is ULead DVD Movie Maker SE. I got it to combine some AVCHD clips, then export them out as one clip. It worked perfectly. They key is to use the Fast Export feature. I combined 5 minutes of video (about 10 separate clips) into one clip... it took about 5 minutes to do this, but then I was reading and writing to a slow network drive - most of the time was for file transfer.

The size of the combined clip was just slightly larger than the parts that comprised it. I played it back on my PS3 and the bit speed of the combined clip matched the parts (~15Mbps). So, I am satisfied that there was no re-encoding.

This utility works nicely for simple splicing of AVCHD clips. It is not an editor (I don't think you can do anything EXCEPT combine and split clips -- no transitions or such).

#include stdsig.h
post #17 of 32 Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I responded before I read this whole thread... I just downloaded this utility at work... looks like a winner! I will try it at home tonight.

#include stdsig.h
post #18 of 32 Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassedPawn View Post

I responded before I read this whole thread... I just downloaded this utility at work... looks like a winner! I will try it at home tonight.

... I couldn't wait till I got home...

This utility worked great. Select the first clip, then use the APPEND button to add additional clips.

It combined two 16MB files into one 32MB file in 24 seconds on a very slow (P4 2.80GHz) machine.

#include stdsig.h
post #19 of 32 Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 PM

TSMuxeR worked great for me too. Only a few minutes to combine 32 files.

However, does everyone else have to append one file at a time? I cannot select a whole series of files to append. I have to append them one at a time. Any way around this?

Great program.
post #20 of 32 Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Isn't it much easier to just plug the AVCHD camcorder into the USB port of the PS3; it works for me and I have the 40GB 2nd gen PS3. It shows up under Video as "AVCHD (camcorder)" and plays like a Blu-ray disc. You can even bring up the subtitle, which is the date/time info on the recording.
post #21 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsop98 View Post

TSMuxeR worked great for me too. Only a few minutes to combine 32 files.

However, does everyone else have to append one file at a time? I cannot select a whole series of files to append. I have to append them one at a time. Any way around this?

Great program.

This seems to be a limitation that I have noticed as well. I am merging 60 files at a time and it is a PITA to do select individually. I have tried writing a windows script to create the .meta file, but it probably is better done in something like basic where you have more formating control.

Perhaps someone with some programming experience can write a program that can be used on Windows. The format of the .meta file is pretty straight forward.

Any takers?
post #22 of 32 Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyW79SFV View Post

Isn't it much easier to just plug the AVCHD camcorder into the USB port of the PS3; it works for me and I have the 40GB 2nd gen PS3. It shows up under Video as "AVCHD (camcorder)" and plays like a Blu-ray disc. You can even bring up the subtitle, which is the date/time info on the recording.

I've been meaning to try that! Cool.

For me, it isn't easier in any way, though, as I just move the video directly from my camera to my NAS and I can see all of it from my TV (using my PS3 as a streamer, over Ethernet).

#include stdsig.h
post #23 of 32 Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 AM

I tried TSmuxer last night and it kind of worked.

I put 5 clips together with it and every time when I watch it using my Popcorn Hour device it freezes on the last frame of the 3 clip. Doesn't matter which one is the 3rd clip.

I was wondering if someone could look at my setting to see if I have it right:

You can see what I have tried here on my blog davecolorado.com
post #24 of 32 Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Hm, I tried TSMuxer to cut 5 seconds out of a .m2ts video. The file it created played in media player, but neither Vegas nor VoltaicHD could read it. Vegas just crashed, Voltaic came up with a bunch of cryptic codes and "Make sure the source is a valid video file".

In other words, keep your original sources.
post #25 of 32 Old 06-21-2009, 06:47 AM

TSMuxer worked great for me. Thanks
post #26 of 32 Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5_dvr View Post

Anyone tired TSSplitter (free software to split/join files)?

TSSplitter = "(".m2ts" format from BluRay/AVCHD is not supported!)"
post #27 of 32 Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 PM

I have tried to merge several M2TS files (downloaded from my Sony HDR-X
R500V AVCHD camcorder) using tsMuxer 1.10.6. It joined properly but after first file audio is out of sync by 2-3 sec.

Any idea how to fix the audio sync problem?
post #28 of 32 Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdimtiaz View Post

I have tried to merge several M2TS files (downloaded from my Sony HDR-X
R500V AVCHD camcorder) using tsMuxer 1.10.6. It joined properly but after first file audio is out of sync by 2-3 sec.

Any idea how to fix the audio sync problem?

Try TSMUXER - it is free and works very well - I use it often.

http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
post #29 of 32 Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 AM

I have a Canon HF20 AVCHD that generates .mt2s files. The only software that seems to work correctly is the software that came with the camera Pixela ImageMixer 3 SE. You bring in .mt2s files and it generates one .mt2s file with no quality loss with perfect audio stitching. It is really basic software that all it can do is stitch mt2s files together. You must enter the camera serial number to activate the software. Not sure how strict it checks the serial number.

I have tried just about every other software I could find and nothing else worked perfectly. tsMuxer works fantastic as long as you are only stitching a few clips together. Once you get to about 50 clips, the audio sync is off by a noticable amount. The more you add, the worse it gets. I tried to use the audio offset tool but that did not work exactly right either. On my 100+ clip project that was about 20 minutes long, I could adjust the audio offest to make the end of the movie align, but the middle was off. I could adjust for the middle but then the end was off. I believe tsMuxer adds just a small audio delay for each clip and depending on the number of clips per minute, you get an different delay per minute. I tried every combination of check boxes with no effect. I wish it did work as the tool is super fast and easy to use (once you learn the drag and drop to add clips).

Windows 7 can play mt2s files directly and it looks beautiful. I do not plan to convert to any of my videos to any other format as there is a noticable drop in quality when you do. Besides, hard drives are pretty cheap now.
post #30 of 32 Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavacot View Post

I have a Canon HF20 AVCHD that generates .mt2s files. The only software that seems to work correctly is the software that came with the camera Pixela ImageMixer 3 SE. You bring in .mt2s files and it generates one .mt2s file with no quality loss with perfect audio stitching. It is really basic software that all it can do is stitch mt2s files together. You must enter the camera serial number to activate the software. Not sure how strict it checks the serial number.

I have tried just about every other software I could find and nothing else worked perfectly. tsMuxer works fantastic as long as you are only stitching a few clips together. Once you get to about 50 clips, the audio sync is off by a noticable amount. The more you add, the worse it gets. I tried to use the audio offset tool but that did not work exactly right either. On my 100+ clip project that was about 20 minutes long, I could adjust the audio offest to make the end of the movie align, but the middle was off. I could adjust for the middle but then the end was off. I believe tsMuxer adds just a small audio delay for each clip and depending on the number of clips per minute, you get an different delay per minute. I tried every combination of check boxes with no effect. I wish it did work as the tool is super fast and easy to use (once you learn the drag and drop to add clips).

I noticed this audio delay as well when combining over 99 clips (ImageMixer maximum) using tsMuxer, has anyone solved this problem? It would be a great solution if this audio delay could be eliminated.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page