AVCHD Software for SR7 - support 64bit OS, Quad Core, 8GB RAM? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This question has been asked here before but can anyone recommend a software package for editing avchd video?

I have a new Sony SR7 and just upgraded my computer to handle the editing. We have our first child on the way and will be born in March so I plan on taking lots of videos.

I think I've narrowed it down to Sony Vegas or Pinnacle Studio 11. Both are priced about the same and claim to work with AVCHD.

Before everyone tells me that this question has been asked before please keep reading.

I'm looking for the best AVCHD software that will utilize and take full advantage of my new computer.

I spent a lot of money on upgrading my computer for video editing and if the software can't take advantage of the extra horsepower then I wasted money.

Which AVCHD software package would work best with the following components? (Really just needs to utilize multi-core, 64bit platform). I believe both the Sony and Pinnacle run in 32bi emulation mode and therefore cannot take advantage of the extra memory. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU overclocked at 3.6Ghz
8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC1000 RAM
Vista Ultimate 64bit
1TB 7200rpm SATA II RAID 0 (500GB x 2)
500GB 7200rpm SATA II RAID 0 (250GB x 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Based on another members information regarding the Sony software in another thread I have decided to purchase Sony Vegas since I can verify that it takes advantage of multi-core systems.

Unfortunately I believe everything that's available today is written for 32bit and not 64bit architectures, therefore I don't think it will take advantage of the 8GB of memory I have in this system.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same camera, and I have Sony Vegas pro 8 (which I got for free) and I've yet to buy Nero 8. I had the Nero free trial for a couple days, then I somehow deleted it?????? Didn't even really get to try it out. Haven't really fooled around too much with the new Vegas, either. Both programs, however, boast AVCHD in and out. On board the Sony, there is an option to create an AVCHD disc, but every time I tried it, I got an error message. But like I say, I haven't monkeyed around with it too much. I think you can save/render your video in AVCHD....and that's found in a different part of the program that burning a disc is....and then you could transfer it to a proper disc-burning program like Nero.

Yes, the new Nero also boasts being able to create AVCHD discs, but I wasn't able to try it out with the free trial. You can give it a shot, if 'd like. Let me know if it works!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

I have the same camera, and I have Sony Vegas pro 8 (which I got for free) and I've yet to buy Nero 8. I had the Nero free trial for a couple days, then I somehow deleted it?????? Didn't even really get to try it out. Haven't really fooled around too much with the new Vegas, either. Both programs, however, boast AVCHD in and out. On board the Sony, there is an option to create an AVCHD disc, but every time I tried it, I got an error message. But like I say, I haven't monkeyed around with it too much. I think you can save/render your video in AVCHD....and that's found in a different part of the program that burning a disc is....and then you could transfer it to a proper disc-burning program like Nero.

Yes, the new Nero also boasts being able to create AVCHD discs, but I wasn't able to try it out with the free trial. You can give it a shot, if 'd like. Let me know if it works!

I emailed Sony last night to find out about the 64bit support. I did a google search last night and found a press release from mid last year regarding Sony Vegas Pro and 64bit support. Sony and AMD showed off this setup at a conference I believe. Sony made a statement in the article that a 64bit version of Sony Vegas Pro would be available by the end of 2007.

I'm not sure if Sony gave up on this or if they have plans to release it at a later date.

This would be the first AVCHD editing software built for x64 bit architecture and the performance increases from quad core and 64bit systems will really be seen.

Until then the current Sony Vegas software and others run in 32bit mode on my 64bit system and will never be able to fully utilize the hardware, especially the extra RAM (8GB).
Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well I obviously got someone from support who is clueless. I was given a generic canned response and the ticket was closed. I was told to download a patch which would upgrade Sony Vegas Pro 8 to version 8.0b build 217. According to support this patch would allow the software to run on a 64bit platform.

I already have this version running but I guess they don't understand my question. All there software does is run in 32bit mode on the 64bit platform.

This gives you no performance gains compared to running the same software on a 32bit system.

I replied back to Sony support and explained the problem. Should be interesting what I receive back from them.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I run Vegas 8 pro on Vista ultimate 64 and it works fine. Of course it was not specifically built for 64 so it DOES NOT take advantage of the full memory and runs just like any other 32 bit program on a 64bit system. There is a TRUE 64 bit version coming out soon though. By true i mean it will not be a sooped up 32bit editor like most other "vista64 compatible" programs, but rather a full blown 64bit program.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

I run Vegas 8 pro on Vista ultimate 64 and it works fine. Of course it was not specifically built for 64 so it DOES NOT take advantage of the full memory and runs just like any other 32 bit program on a 64bit system. There is a TRUE 64 bit version coming out soon though. By true i mean it will not be a sooped up 32bit editor like most other "vista64 compatible" programs, but rather a full blown 64bit program.

This is what I'm looking for and like I mentioned before I found a few press releases from last year stating that a true 64bit version would be available at the end of 2007. In fact they had a working copy of it and displayed it with AMD's 64bit CPU at a conference.

I just happen to get 1st level support canned messages. Like you said there's a difference between running a 32bit app in a 64bit environment and running a app that was designed for 64bit architectures... memory use being one of those key elements...

I wonder if the 64bit version will be a free upgrade for the 32bit owners or will they make you purchase an upgrade or new version....
Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I too have a similar Computer system. What sucks is that Vista Ultimate is using 7 gigs of the memory leaving only one gig for programs to use. According to MS, they are allowing applications to use up to 2 gig of system RAM if the user is using a 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate. If this is the case, than Ultimate is really using too much RAM.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 AM

This is not true. While 32-bit apps can only be given 2-3gb due to their address space limitations, 64-bit apps are not restricted.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 View Post

I too have a similar Computer system. What sucks is that Vista Ultimate is using 7 gigs of the memory leaving only one gig for programs to use. According to MS, they are allowing applications to use up to 2 gig of system RAM if the user is using a 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate. If this is the case, than Ultimate is really using too much RAM.

Something's not right with your system. My system uses on average 1.5 - 2.0GB of memory (Basically boot up, login, and do nothing). Of course as I open programs or begin to do more things on the system the memory use increases but i've never come close to using 8GB of RAM yet. Any thoughts on wiping your system clean and reinstalling?

By the way I just added a new Video Card 8800 GTS 512 to my system and a new 24 inch Acer LCD. Video editing is even sweeter now!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM

Nero 8 works well and burns AVCHD compliant disks. If you use .mts or .m2ts files, Nero 8 will smart encode really fast.
I transcoded and burned a 33-min HD home video in 45 minutes on a 4-year old Vaio (no dual or quad core).

tjh3
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

tjh3, what is your BD player? when you say AVCHD compliant, do you mean a AVCHD disk with menu that plays in BD players?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Is it ok if I bump this thread to see if anybody has any more information since the last post? I'm looking at building a near identical system.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:30 PM

Sony Vegas 8.1 has full 64-bit support. Check it out on Sony's Website or do a google search, it'll come up right away.

Hope that helps some of you .
Old 10-15-2008, 12:25 AM

Im running vista 64 and I have had great luck with Corel Video Pro X2. My system is close to yours(although I have only 4 gigs of ram) but so far I have tried Pinnacle 12, Sony Vegas 9 and the Pro X2 is by far the fastest (and easiest to use) at least for me. Hoped this helped
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn_248 View Post

Sony Vegas 8.1 has full 64-bit support. Check it out on Sony's Website or do a google search, it'll come up right away.

Hope that helps some of you .

But that price - ouch!!

I have a brand-new, similar system, and came over here to check out what AVCHD editing software was available to take advantage of 64-bit Vista. My needs are relatively simple - just personal/family stuff, nothing professional. Nothing that would justify a $550 purchase!

Has anybody heard if the 64-bit support will trickle down to the "lesser" versions of Vegas??

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

But that price - ouch!!

I have a brand-new, similar system, and came over here to check out what AVCHD editing software was available to take advantage of 64-bit Vista. My needs are relatively simple - just personal/family stuff, nothing professional. Nothing that would justify a $550 purchase!

Has anybody heard if the 64-bit support will trickle down to the "lesser" versions of Vegas??

Bumping this back up to see if anyone knows if the "lesser" versions of Vegas are 64 bit now. I only do a little home movie editing so that $550 price tag is too much.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Nero 10 or Edius Neo 2 Booster are good options. Nero smart renders 60i AVCHD clips if their isn't any effects. The edited piece will look the same as your original files.