Ripping home video DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just starting digitial home movies and I'm having a heck of a time getting the vid from my SONY DCR DVD92 to the computer hard drive. I can't cut/copy and paste (or drag) a large movie file from the RW mini-disc to the HD for editing. At about 12% I get the message of an I/O error. I Googled the error message and took the suggested steps without better results. The suggested fixes were (#1)change the IDE properties of the device manager (transfer mode box to PIO only) and (following failure of #1) clean boot.

Because I have two DVD burners I just basically guessed which settings to fiddle with, as there are 3 primary IDE channels, 3 secondary and 3 standard dual channel PCI IDE controllers (whatever those are). I think I tried the first two of primary IDE channels. But I'd be willing to try again, with some direction.

I also tried to rip the DVD with Nero, but got "NeroRecode2 encountered a problem and can't continue." I don't think Nero recognizes the vob files of my camera. Although I think it ripped the small vob files??? The one I can't work with is like 1 million kb

My questions: why can't I cut and paste the file from the dvd to a hard drive folder like the camera directions suggest? Why can't nero handle this? What software would solve my problem? Can you suggest another forum or website to help me.

I'm guessing it might be a RAM problem. But I'm no computer expert and I know even less above dvds and home video.

Background: Windows XP, Camera: SONY DCR DVD92, Nero 6.6.1.15, ATI Radeon 200 Pentium(R) D cpu 2.80Ghz
System memory 445mb cpu 2800 mhz bus 200mhz
dvd burner drive: TSST Corp SHS182D

Disc: TDK DVD-RW 2x, 8 cm I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM

i've heard of this problem a lot, i have heard the way to get it to upload to the computer easily is either by an external bus like the Pinnacle Dazzle or through some recent video editing program, usually a big name manufactured no earlier than 2007. I know Pinnacle Studio 11 will import it.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, meecrob. This is the kind of advice I was hoping for. I prefer freeware but this is an important task, so paying $30-$70 for something that will accomplish the job but easy to use will not be a deterent. I hoping for more suggestions.
It also just occurred to me to visit and photo or electronics store and find someone that can identify with my problem. Duh! (slaps forehead)
Further, I'm wondering if a DVD-R would present less of a problem than a DVD-RW.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Instead of using any editing programs I would try dragging the footage from the DVD straight to the Desktop. I don't have a DVD camcorder by the way.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtTony View Post

Further, I'm wondering if a DVD-R would present less of a problem than a DVD-RW.

There's always a chance that could play in as well. although most stuff now will read +-RW there are a few exceptions here and there.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Instead of using any editing programs I would try dragging the footage from the DVD straight to the Desktop. I don't have a DVD camcorder by the way.

Tried that very early (see my initial post). Worked on all except the very largest file (926,000kb).

Reading this board I see there are all sorts of difficulties xfering DV to a computer and burning a DVD.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page