AMX VP arrested for hacking Sapphire (Crestron rep firm) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
March 28th, 2008

Vice President at AMX Corporation Arrested in Email System Breach of Competitor Sapphire Marketing

Paramus, NJ - Sapphire Marketing announced today that a Vice President of one its chief competitors, AMX Corporation, a Duchossois Industries subsidiary, has been arrested for unlawfully hacking into Sapphire's email system and stealing confidential information.

AMX Vice President, David Goldenberg, has been charged with Unlawful Access of a Computer System/Network-3rd Degree, Unlawful Access of Computer Data/Theft of Data-2nd Degree, and Conducting an Illegal Wiretap-3rd Degree. Goldenberg's arrest follows an investigation by the Bergen County New Jersey Prosecutors Office, Computer Crimes unit, which uncovered the scheme by which Goldenberg had stolen thousands of proprietary and confidential emails through repeated, unauthorized access into Sapphire's secure Email Server.

David Goldenberg joined AMX as Regional Sales Director in June of 2007 and was later promoted to AMX Vice President. Goldenberg unlawfully penetrated and downloaded business intelligence from several Sapphire employees including information about sales proposals, commission statements, pricing, sales reports, personnel records, dealer and consultant and end-user lists among other private and confidential correspondence.

Sapphire Marketing is a leading manufacturers' representative in the Northeast, most notably representing Crestron Electronics of Rockleigh, New Jersey. Crestron is the world's leading manufacturer of advanced control and automation systems and innovating technology and is a major direct competitor of AMX. The stolen property enabled Goldenberg at AMX to unfairly compete with manufacturers such as Crestron represented by Sapphire.

I am shocked by the corrupt sense of entitlement and indifference towards the privacy rights of Sapphire Marketing's clients and employees, said Marla Suttenberg, owner of Sapphire Marketing. It is a disgrace and embarrassment to our industry that a competitor would resort to these kinds of tactics to gain an unfair advantage.

More information can soon be found posted on the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office's Press release website: http://www.bcpo.net/bcpo/blog/index.php .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 AM

First I used to work for an integrator in NJ before moving to Vegas years ago. So I am very familiar with the SAD history and people between AMX and Crestron.

But this brings a new level. IF TRUE, and in our country that is important that he is innocent until proven guilty, it is such a sad statement for the industry. However reading the report by the prosecutor's office it would appear this kind of action is well traced and documented. I am very versed in IT and what they outlined is MORANIC. I would be shocked if the upper management of AMX knew the actions. However regardless this exposes them in a way that I am sure they could be investigated for any and all emails to and from this guy.

But here comes the BIG shocker for those who might not know. The owner of Sapphire Marketing is also the WIFE of the Crestron VP, Randy Klein. I knew these two before they ever got married. So if you think this is a simple issue of business war I would say NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I remeber Randy in the early days of Crestron and he doesn't take losing easily. For an employee of a competitor to attack the rep firm, who is the wife of the VP, just might be the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.

This can't be a good weekend for the AMX executives. I use both systems here in Vegas and find them outstanding in different ways.

All I can say is that this could have huge results. If AMX had any involvement that can be proven the impact could be something scary. I am not sure how many remember the Extron-InLine history. Needless to say in a court battle former owners waged, Extron was awarded InLine.......

I do hope for everybody's sake this was a greedy sales person who acted on his own. I've never known any people I've dealt with at AMX for more than 20 years to conduct themselves like this. In fact, just the opposite. There were jobs our company awarded Crestron because AMX wouldn't lower their price to meet the discount Crestron provided on huge corporate projects.

We'll all be watching this one. I can imagine the news people, Gary Kayye, Julie Jacobson, etc will be buring the phone lines this weekend.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Man, he got to be VP in sales and marketing somewhere and was not smart enough to have someone else do the dirty work?

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Just because he pled guilty, doesn't mean he really is.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Who are you trying to kid?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

lets not go there: it is what it is

case closed

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Home Automation