I've been doing a bit of research around here and wanted some of your thoughts.
I'm moving into a new home in a few weeks (5000 sq ft. on two levels + 2000 sq ft. in the basement). I'm looking to get home automation and I think I've narrowed my choices down to Control4 and Crestron Adagio.
The requirements for what I need to do are:
- Control for A/V (5.1 or 7.1) in main movie watching area in basement (likely will want it to control lighting here as well)
- Ability to hear stereo music (ipod, and sirius) in 5 or 6 other rooms (one being outside)
- 1 or 2 touchscreens and either touchscreens or regular controls in the other rooms
Other things I may want to do but aren't requirements:
- Control for lighting throughout the house
- Control of the HVAC system
- Ability to listen to different music in different rooms
- Ability to shut off system from Master BR
Other things I may want to do 5-10 years down the road
- Advance control for a dedicated home theater (if I build a separate room)
- Viewing of video surveillance camera (don't currently have one)
- Who knows what else
Basically I want to put in around $15k now, but there is a good chance in 3 years I'll want it to be able to do a lot more and would be willing to put in another $15-20k then. I don't want to have to start over at that time.
I saw a Control4 setup in a store I went to and I really liked the look of the interface. I read around here some questions about quality, but those seem to be more related to 1-2 years ago. I'm assuming if I go with Adagio I'll never be limited with what I want to do in the future b/c I can easily switch it to a more advanced Crestron system and continue using what I currently have.
Now this may sound a little lame, but one of the most important things to me is the aesthetics of the system. I'm moving into a high end home and I just really like the idea of the touchscreens in the walls. I'll usually just use them to turn on the music and change songs or volume but I want it to look sophisticated. The C4 system I saw had a photo slideshow playing as a screensaver and my wife and I loved it.
If you have any thoughts about which system will be better for me and if what I'm looking for sounds reasonable within my budget (including installation and programming) please let me know. I'm pretty sure all the wiring is already in place and I'll meet with installers for both systems but I imagine they'll each sell their own systems and I figured I'd get some unbiased thoughts here.
Thanks for the help.