Programming Vantage Infusion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this something that an experienced installer can do from off site? I'm trying to get our house built, but got hung up on automation. I want Lighting, security, and a bit of audio. I also would like HVAC, but the Tekmar stats that I have set up do not currently interface.

The problem that I am having is that the Vantage dealer isn't getting it done for me beyond the lighting side. My electrician is solid, but could never program, but if it were possible/practical to have someone program from afar, it would be handy. We are in a location that does not have a lot of installers as our project is well above the avarage home in our area.

At present I have:

Approx 40 lighting and fan loads pulled to the location that we plan to mount the panels. This area is in a knee wall technically considered attic, but easily accessible, and conditioned space.

Approx 10ea 15 amp feeds run from breaker panel to where we plan to mount the panels

Carlon boxes mounted in light switch locations with an additional vacant "smurf" tube running to attic or basement in case there is a future need to pull wires

Remote slab and air temp sensors with wires run to thermostats remotely mounted near the location planned for the Vantage panels. The main house stat is located on the wall and this sensor wire set loops up to location of the other stats. This way if things change we should be ready to switch things up.

I have two 2" conduits run from basement to attic and plan to add a third. These are there to facilitate future needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would think that a Vantage dealer could remotely program the panel. I believe they can program it using their Vantage utilities and then connect to the panel and upload. So, the panel would have to be accessible to the Internet which is something you would need to get consumated.

Likely the larger issue will be about who is responsible for what...the incoming Vantage dealer will be stepping on the toes of the outgoing etc. What kind of programming is the original dealer not willing to do? Or is it that you aren't comfortable with him doing the programming at all?

Additionally, MainLobby has a robust plugin that talks to the Infusion controller to add media and rest of automation control beyond what the Infusion panel does. That too can be remotely configured. Of course, that PC server would also have to be remotely accessible via the Internet. Our software connects to the Infusion controller and grabs the current setup file and then auto creates corresponding "devices" (load definitions) within MainLobby's server software. From there, you can build a touchscreen user interface for your floor plan and what devices to turn on / off / dim. (or many other UI metaphors).

CEO
Tallus LLC
post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You would have to either provide port forwarding in the router or use a VPN connection. We have done this numerous times for customers and it works without a hitch. Takes a bit longer to download, but works just fine.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post

Likely the larger issue will be about who is responsible for what...the incoming Vantage dealer will be stepping on the toes of the outgoing etc. What kind of programming is the original dealer not willing to do? Or is it that you aren't comfortable with him doing the programming at all?

Additionally, MainLobby has a robust plugin that talks to the Infusion controller to add media and rest of automation control beyond what the Infusion panel does. That too can be remotely configured. Of course, that PC server would also have to be remotely accessible via the Internet. Our software connects to the Infusion controller and grabs the current setup file and then auto creates corresponding "devices" (load definitions) within MainLobby's server software. From there, you can build a touchscreen user interface for your floor plan and what devices to turn on / off / dim. (or many other UI metaphors).

The quoting dealer said he could get take care of the security cameras and revise the audio quote to a lesser scale. This hasn't happened and it's pissing me off. We have nearly all rough in wiring done and I would like to finish foaming the walls and start on the soffits (speakers) but I'm stuck.

I have sevearl very good contractors working this project as well as some that lack ambition...
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Liked: 11
What ever happened on the porject?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, it's been a long time. I should have subscribed. I ended up with the same dealer. He installed a Speakercraft audio setup, but the camera stuff is still in process. IP cameras and we are waiting on a server from Dell.

In the big picture, the lighting control is largely in and running. I have a station to add and some detailed programming.

Overall, the project has been a money pit. List prices on equipment (I believe) plus labor and numerous short days. 2, 3, 5hrs etc.

Installer hasn't been able to get the Port Forwarding figured out on my Verizon DSL so we haven't done any remote programming and it all requires a visit. I have a friend who will be instaling the server and am quite confident that he can get the port fwding handled.

I added the Vantage Web Point which is so-so and not nearly worth $900+ price tag. Then if I want more control there's $$$$ programming

On the speakercraft (MZC-88) I have audio bleed through. If I select a source that is off line and turn up the volume I hear my Ipod etc.

Also, the Speakercraft gobbles about $5-6/month just sitting idle. It would be nice to have a standby mode as we don't use the audio a lot.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that the results are less than stellar as the price tag -- which I am all to familiar with -- can be staggering...that said. much of the cost / experience depends on the integrator...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Couldn't figure out port-forwarding? Wow.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post

Couldn't figure out port-forwarding? Wow.

Sort of un-related but, I never had any problems forwarding ports with comcast. Once i switched to Qwest dsl it have not been able to forward anything, from looking online the particular dsl modem i have is a piece of crap.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbow View Post

Sort of un-related but, I never had any problems forwarding ports with comcast. Once i switched to Qwest dsl it have not been able to forward anything, from looking online the particular dsl modem i have is a piece of crap.

Qwest blocks all ports below 1024 for residential customers. This should only effect you if you're trying to host a server (web, email, ftp). Issues related to port-forwarding above this range would be related to your hardware (modem/router) configuration.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page