Smarthome.com/Insteon/Switchlinc Products = GARBAGE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After replacing 12+ switchlincs, insteon, and related smarthome.com products since my home was built less than five years ago, I wanted to share my complete dissatisfaction with others.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I wired my own smart home in 2004 if that adds any credibility to my statements. Nearly every light switch and lamp module in my home is from the Switchlinc or Insteon line. Smarthome has replaced countless switches under warranty - mainly due to mechanical issues with the paddle (inferior design with undersized fulcrums that break). Several other switches were bricked for no apparent reason (no overloads, surges, miswiring, etc.). Some switches won't enter X10 programming mode. Lamp modules lose their X10 address after every power outage. The bottom line is that I'm growing very tired of replacing Smarthome.com switches in my home and it has only been five years.

Smarthome.com worshippers: Feel free to refute the above facts - I'll gladly provide photos and mechanical/electrical analysis and details. Sorry you had to read about this here as negative product reviews submitted to the smarthome.com website are simply deleted. But everyone should know about smarthome's lack of assistance, denial of inferior products, and shotty mechanical/electrical switch functionality.

Jason Bell
Bridgeport, WV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
im not sure 100%, but i know insteon has fixed a lot of their faulty switches from years back. from what i read, they are much better now in terms of quality and function, although i don't know for sure since im only relaying info i read on numerous forums. since im building a new home, i decided to spend the money and not take a chance with insteon and im going to use lutron homeworks 8 system. supposed to be the best available although also the most expensive. sorry for your experiences.

post #3 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recently came across the following thread which I thought was rather inspiring as far as the future of Insteon devices:
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=12515

At least someone at SmartHome is trying to get on these forums and assist the DIY'ers as much as possible.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 PM

I built a new house and wired almost every switch in the house as an insteon device. After roughly 5 years I've had almost 50% failure rate. I can tell you that I've been able to get nearly every one replaced under warranty and I'm happy with customer service. The new switches are much better. Only time will tell for sure but I'm really confident that the new batches of stuff I've installed will be much better. I was really frustrated and almost gave up on insteon but I'm now coming around. I'll bet a new user would have much better luck than the early adopters did.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
A few years ago I put in a bunch of Smarthome X-10 switches and lamp modules. I ended up having to send them all to the land fill and replaced them with PCS X-10 products. I've never had a PCS switch or dimmer fail.

As a result, I stayed out of the Insteon technology. Now, after reading this and the Cocoon tech threads, I'm glad I did.

It's still unclear to me which technology to retrofit with at this point to replace the X-10. With the economy messed up, I'll just sit it out and maybe time will clear it up.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Not refuting your story just reporting my experience: my entire house is Insteon (44 switches/plugs) controlled by Elk M1 Gold and I have a zero failure rate. If it matters, my system is about 18 months old.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page