Want to integrate our alarm system (GE Caddx). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone familiar with this alarm system? We do not want to have the system monitored by ADT or Brinks, rather we'd like to have the system notify us via cell phone of an intrusion. And If possible we would like to monitor the system from a pc from home and/or away. It's a basic home security system with wired door/window sensors, glass break, motion and the like. I've looked on-line and on this site for info but nothing comes up for it.
I'm about to give up if no one here has any helpfull info. thanks in advance for those that would like to chime in.

Bob
Cocoa Beach FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
do you have any of the programming passwords, or software for it? Presuming it's the GE NetworX NX-8/NX-8#, it's one of the panels supported by CQC (home automation software), but you'd need those codes to do any of the secuirty-level programming.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sounds like we might be able to help. Check out our HomeSeer HS2 or HSPRO software. There's a GE Caddx plug-in available in the updater. The software also allows remote internet access and there's a telephone interface available too.

HomeSeer Technologies
www.homeseer.com
post #4 of 13 Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Do you know the model number of the Alarm panel? If it's an NX-8E, it has the nx-584 (comm. adapter) built onto the main board. It still requires a ribbon cable adapter to connect to a PC. I think the part number is something like P00003. (maybe + or - a 0). At that point you'll have several software options to monitor it.

If you don't have the NX-8E, then you'll likely need a communication adapter on the alarm panel, then the same above will apply.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

new idea: If it's not the NX-8E, then rip out the actual panel itself, but keep the wiring to your existing sensors. Then, just put in a new NX-8E, i think they're pretty cheap. Then you can use the software to have it do whatever you want, and use whatever software you want to help do it.

I did that with my ADT panel; i had 3 motion sensors and 2 door sensors that I wanted to keep, but (obviously) didn't have the ADT passwords/etc.

I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

The unit model number is NX-6 (v2). It's brand new... now that we know what model number I have what are my options? i'd rather not go with a monitored system like Alarm.com either. I have the passwod for arming/disarming the system but no software.
I'd like to stick with this unit for now... just spent the cash to have it checked out. No software came with it. So, aside from getting the new NX-8, what other ideas are there?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

did it come with the house? Where'd you get it from?

post #8 of 13 Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjack View Post

Is anyone familiar with this alarm system? We do not want to have the system monitored by ADT or Brinks, rather we'd like to have the system notify us via cell phone of an intrusion. And If possible we would like to monitor the system from a pc from home and/or away. It's a basic home security system with wired door/window sensors, glass break, motion and the like. I've looked on-line and on this site for info but nothing comes up for it.
I'm about to give up if no one here has any helpfull info. thanks in advance for those that would like to chime in.

Bob
Cocoa Beach FL

I have our HAI system (using GE wireless devices) which doubles as an alarm and Home Automation and a bunch of other things... The integration is fantastic. SJ
post #9 of 13 Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post

did it come with the house? Where'd you get it from?

The alarm tech said the alarm was installed when they built the house.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

given that a new NX-8E costs $240 for the panel, keypad, 1 motion sensor, speaker, and battery , I think you'll save far more than $240 in mental hassles by just replacing the head-end equipment.

Given that you just got it 'checked out', i presume that meant "confirm that the wiring & sensors work fine", you can still re-use much of your alarm system.

no idea how to integrate your current model #, though.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post

given that a new NX-8E costs $240 for the panel, keypad, 1 motion sensor, speaker, and battery , I think you'll save far more than $240 in mental hassles by just replacing the head-end equipment.

Given that you just got it 'checked out', i presume that meant "confirm that the wiring & sensors work fine", you can still re-use much of your alarm system.

no idea how to integrate your current model #, though.

For IVB and the others who have commented, can i just replace the NX-6 motherboard and snap in a new NX-8 m/b without having to buy the control panels and other stuff i've already got???? What more codes or passwords do i need other than the one that arms/disarms the house?
After reviewing the links and suggestions you guys have posted trying to offer advice and help.... I have to be honest: Nothing I looked @ looks compatible with the GE Networx systems. CQC & Homeseer are not mentioning the GE systems and this thing called HAI i assume is home automation software but does it integrate with the GE NX-8? anyone have a link?
When it comes to reading manuals, connections, software and such I'm pretty quick to understand. But CHOOSING the right equipment and knowing if it works is where I am totaly lost. Are there web links to graphic videos that I can view or show what the software does? Hopefully some that involve the NX-8 or as one poster mentioned GE wireless technology. Really, our system is only have complete. If someone broke into our home after we left for work & they survived the dog attack, they could make off with our belongings (not that we have much). But they could do this and we wouldn't know it till we got home from work. what could does this do us?
post #12 of 13 Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjack View Post

For IVB and the others who have commented, can i just replace the NX-6 motherboard and snap in a new NX-8 m/b without having to buy the control panels and other stuff i've already got???? What more codes or passwords do i need other than the one that arms/disarms the house?

I am not personally 100% sure as I have no experience with GE, but I know that with my ADT, I kept 100% of the motion detectors, door sensors, & wiring. I was even able to keep the keypad wiring, just swap out keypads. I don't have any idea whether the NX-8E keypads are the same as the NX-6 keypads, but those are typically cheap, and again, for $240, i wouldn't waste my energy; after all, how much could you possibly save, and if it doesn't work, or doesn't work at the right time, you're screwed.

By "codes", i mean the software that you use to program your actual controller. Speaking about the Elk, i've put in several "rules" there that make the integration with home automation much simpler. Basically what you're trying to do (actions on alarm) via a PC is home automation lite.

Quote:

After reviewing the links and suggestions you guys have posted trying to offer advice and help.... I have to be honest: Nothing I looked @ looks compatible with the GE Networx systems. CQC & Homeseer are not mentioning the GE systems and this thing called HAI i assume is home automation software but does it integrate with the GE NX-8? anyone have a link?

If you go to the www.charmedquark.com page, click support, "supported devices", then "security panel", you'll see "Networx NX-8/NX-8E". Clicking on that brings up this popup.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 PM

i havent touched a nx-8 since 2000,when it was caddx.i did look thru my old manuals and as far as i can tell you cant have it dial a personal number unless you program it into the secondary number and have it dial a central monitoring site first.dont hold me to this as my manual is over 8 yrs old but having had conversations with friends still in the industry,they confirm.

i have a DSC pc5020(power 864) that allows you to program personal numbers as well as pager format reporting.as far as it tying into automation it only allows x10 at 32 addresses max.

i would go with ELK or HAI as it will suite your needs for both security and automation.you can use your existing contacts,but your keypads,wireless receivers,and wireless modules arent compatible.both systems will set you back around $700-$1000 depending on requirements.

as far as those saying they have ADT,Ranger american and such.those are just company decals on manufacturer equipment,they dont make the equipment.here in Orlando ADT uses honeywell(formerly Ademco) and DSC,and Ranger American uses DSC.

most panels have a programming reset,as well as a hardware reset.for instance my DSC hardware reset consists of removing the connection from z1 and use a jumper wire to connect z1 to PGM1 and re apply power until keypad(s) beep twice.then power down and re-connect z1 as normal.this will allow you to program your panel as you require.*most alarm companies use a "installer lockout" code preventing end users from changing things.

hope this helps

also try a search for your panel on Retrevo.com.they have pretty much any manual you can think of
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page