Control 4 Reliability - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bobdole.. can you talk more about editing the GUI. Explain how a dealer would add a custom interface. Is it like Nevo where you grab the new graphic and drop it over the button?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Liked: 10
Hi 39cent -

Not at all. The usual flow:

User draws out the system, dragging and dropping components somewhat like D-tools or Visio - Making logical connections, etc.

The system compiles and understands what "services" are available based on the components. IE it knows what a DVD player is, and when connected to display and receiver - it realizes a "DVD/Movie" service.

That service then becomes a menu item automagically with the appropriate buttons in place.

I think the part you are most interested in is the GUI generation. It is completely possible to take any graphic and use it as a background. You can also create buttons and controls using Quartz composer, or create a package following the template already provided. You'd put within a folder, the buttons, background, screensavers, etc, and call it a "theme". Then you'd put the custom theme into the right place in the computer, and it becomes available. You drag and drop the buttons from a list, Then you double click the buttons to define what it is they do. Normally all this is done for you, but its completely possible to say: create a button labeled OFF - and tell it to send the command to turn off the television, reciever, DVD player, turn off the lights after a 30 second delay, etc.

The actions are coordinated by Apple's Automator program so its very flexible in what it can do.

The actual act of assigning button actions, are called "Service Requests", and you just pick say "Lighting Controller 1" - action: "dim to 50%". You can define all these actions in the XML as well.

So no dragging graphics onto buttons - its harder than that, but assigning actions to buttons is a lot easier than say in crestron (which would have you loading different components/drivers, and recoding the buttons themselves from what I've seen).
post #93 of 112 Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. I would love to see a savant system in action.

post #94 of 112 Old 08-07-2009, 06:38 AM

To the OP:

Yes Control4 is a reliable system when designed and installed by a reputable dealer who knows what they're doing. Of course, like any system, parts do go bad and need to be replaced but on the whole, since C4 got beyond the first generation of product, it has been nothing but an constantly improving product. I highly recommend it.
post #95 of 112 Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post

The DVPHD-PRO from Crestron that I mentioned in my last post supports 8 simultaneous, seperately scaleable, full 1080p HD video windows (via HDMI, DVI, RGB, YPbPr, etc.) plus a full-resolution graphic overlay layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Very good. Now, can I have a 3-D overlay with transparency being animated in real-time over it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post

Yes. This isn't a very specific question, but if you're asking if you could build a carbon copy of the Windows Media Center interface into, then yes you could, but with a few limitations (it would doubtful be as fluid as a custom MCE PC) and it would take a long time to accomplish.

I know I'm bumping a buried thread, but I stumbled upon this demo from Infocomm and thought you may like to see the DVPHD we discussed in action. It doesn't cover every feature of the DVP, but it's a nice overview:

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]

-Sean
post #96 of 112 Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The DVPHD is a great product, that's all I have to say about that.
post #97 of 112 Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Atmosphere View Post

what? i guess the many many many 10,000 - 15,000 sq ft homes i have installed control4 in are imaginary?

in closing - Control4 works 100% on ALL of my jobs, my clients are 100% satisfied, and they work 100% as they were designed because i know how to actually design a system...

And I'm 100% sure that statement can not be true. Especially as systems get larger, since they require more maintenance. Stuff breaks. And if you haven't had to deal with that, then *your* idea of a large system isn't the same as someone else's. I don't care about square footage...you could be raising and lowering a basketball hoop in a school gym for all I know.

And I'm not pulling for Crestron, AMX, C4 or any other system in particular - I just can't stand pompous A/V guys who think their crap doesn't stink.

If you want to get a huffy and puffy about how great some little electronic box is, well you go right ahead...but I'm not doing it because I know I'm going to get called back when the thing takes a dump.
post #98 of 112 Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I wont get huffy and puffy but i can assure you that a properly configured Crestron system will not be taking a "dump". The company i work for has been in business for 15 years and last year we had 5 service calls. 3 were related to Cable and satellite boxes, 1 was a 7 year old touchscreen battery and the 5th one was a power supply for a server that we replaced in house for $80.

If you are experiencing issues with Crestron i would like to offer 2 tips that have resolved any issues we had with the product early on. #1. Spec more than enough power supplies. #2. This one is not just Crestron specific. Put everything on a UPS.
post #99 of 112 Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVO View Post

And I'm 100% sure that statement can not be true. Especially as systems get larger, since they require more maintenance. Stuff breaks. And if you haven't had to deal with that, then *your* idea of a large system isn't the same as someone else's. I don't care about square footage...you could be raising and lowering a basketball hoop in a school gym for all I know.

And I'm not pulling for Crestron, AMX, C4 or any other system in particular - I just can't stand pompous A/V guys who think their crap doesn't stink.

If you want to get a huffy and puffy about how great some little electronic box is, well you go right ahead...but I'm not doing it because I know I'm going to get called back when the thing takes a dump.

lol.. yes stuff does break but 99% of the time if something works out of the box its not going to fail unless there is a moving part or abuse on the home owners part. My idea of a large system is a 16-32 zone audio system with 16 or so video zones + 150-200 lighting loads etc etc.. That IS a large system no matter how you look at it.

I am here talking about my experiences and systems that i deal with when installing Control4 products. thats it..

systems don't really require maintenance.. what needs to be maintained aside from keeping stuff dust free? nothing if its designed properly....
post #100 of 112 Old 09-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39CentStamp View Post

I wont get huffy and puffy but i can assure you that a properly configured Crestron system will not be taking a "dump". The company i work for has been in business for 15 years and last year we had 5 service calls. 3 were related to Cable and satellite boxes, 1 was a 7 year old touchscreen battery and the 5th one was a power supply for a server that we replaced in house for $80.

If you are experiencing issues with Crestron i would like to offer 2 tips that have resolved any issues we had with the product early on. #1. Spec more than enough power supplies. #2. This one is not just Crestron specific. Put everything on a UPS.

soooo what mr stamp is saying is that if you properly design a system its going to work correctly... who would of thought.........
post #101 of 112 Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a Control4 system in my home, which I maintain and program myself (after initial setup with the help of a dealer). I use it to control lighting and all of my media devices. It works very well for me. I believe the last time I rebooted the processor was when I updated the software. It is definitely better now than it was when I first installed it about five years ago. The build quality of the keypads and dimmers has improved a lot since the first batch I bought, too.

I will say that occasionally I have a keypad button press fail to trigger the lighting scene that it is supposed to trigger, but that's a rare event.

The new remote (with the OLED screen) is also a good product. It's very reliable and comfortable, and the OLED is great in a dark theater.

I've been powerfully unimpressed with their touch screens, both in terms of aesthetics and performance. I don't own any of them. The updated interface they were showing at CEDIA showed some promise in this area, at least in terms of aesthetics.

Let me finish by saying that I'm really disappointed with the tone of a lot of the postings in this thread (from a small number of individuals). Ad hominem is pretty unwelcome on these forums, and I would encourage people who can't be civil to please spare the rest of us from your spite.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #102 of 112 Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

I have a Control4 system in my home, which I maintain and program myself (after initial setup with the help of a dealer). I use it to control lighting and all of my media devices. It works very well for me. I believe the last time I rebooted the processor was when I updated the software. It is definitely better now than it was when I first installed it about five years ago. The build quality of the keypads and dimmers has improved a lot since the first batch I bought, too.

I will say that occasionally I have a keypad button press fail to trigger the lighting scene that it is supposed to trigger, but that's a rare event.

The new remote (with the OLED screen) is also a good product. It's very reliable and comfortable, and the OLED is great in a dark theater.

I've been powerfully unimpressed with their touch screens, both in terms of aesthetics and performance. I don't own any of them. The updated interface they were showing at CEDIA showed some promise in this area, at least in terms of aesthetics.

Let me finish by saying that I'm really disappointed with the tone of a lot of the postings in this thread (from a small number of individuals). Ad hominem is pretty unwelcome on these forums, and I would encourage people who can't be civil to please spare the rest of us from your spite.

Mike its good to hear you like your system. The 7" touch panels are great. What don't you like about them? they are fast too.

The flash interface is going to be very cool.
post #103 of 112 Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Very good post, I just finished reading the last four pages, as I am currently in the market for system for our home, and I have to agree with JustMike that some of the negative posts I could do without. We are all in this to learn from people who have had the experience of using these sytemsm, not to get in a pissing match on who has the better the system. That said, It seems like no matter what your flavor is it comes down to this, a poorly designed sytems will operate just like that, poorly.

I am going to contact our local control4 dealer for a demo and make my own decision.

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #104 of 112 Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Sorry OP but this is off topic.

Hey Control4 dealers, programmers, consultants and end user...

Where is Brent Huskins from Media Design in Ft. Worth Tx.

Mike Miles
post #105 of 112 Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Oh, no. You are not another victim. Are you? http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...read.cgi?18470
post #106 of 112 Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder what ever happened with peggy... would be nice to hear the end of that story.
post #107 of 112 Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

I was just thinking the other day that I haven't heard from him in about a year.
post #108 of 112 Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 AM
QQQ
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisls111 View Post

(or is that ms paint?!).

Ouch!!! I can see the wheels spinning in his head when he reads that as he ponders a comeback .
post #109 of 112 Old 09-23-2009, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisls111 View Post

39 and matt need to get a few more orders on the books! They clearly have so much free time they're mucking around in photoshop all day (or is that ms paint?!).

Quite! ROFL
post #110 of 112 Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecodeman View Post

I was just thinking the other day that I haven't heard from him in about a year.

I was told from a very reliable source Brent / Media Design is no longer a Control4 dealer. To verify I visited Control4.com and he nor his company was listed.

Yes it would be nice to hear from Peggy...

Mike Miles
post #111 of 112 Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

post #112 of 112 Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member