Crestron code deliverables - verification? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
thomasamiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
QQQ your point is well taken and valuable. It is a risky move. I think this comparison is more like how Microsoft "threw away" Visual Basic 6 and replaced it with .Net architecture. And to keep the millions of old vb6 guys happy and employed.... they created VB.NET which had same general syntax, IDE, etc.

One great thing that MS has done is build a robust developer community. Building a great robust developer community has allowed Windows to have the millions more apps running out there..... thus they got their claws in deeper.

Anyways, I am sure the main technical hurdle Crestron is having to redoing their architecture is because the processors that their hardware runs on simply does not support XYZ. For example, if a processor does not support Flash, what can Crestron do about it other than ask Adobe to support it under their Flash Lite initiative? I know some of the new panels support Flash... very happy about that.

Anyways, if they support Silverlight, they will have a bazillion .NET programmers and former vb6 geeks very HAPPY, just because of the familiarity of using a Microsoft IDE.
thomasamiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member
 
QQQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thomas, neat thread you have there, it's a shame you put it in the remote control forum instead of the home automation forum, many of the people that would be most interested in it will not see it there, I rarely ever visit that forum as it is usually just a lot of talk about basic handheld remotes.
QQQ is offline  
post #33 of 39 Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
GoGo Delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

. . . When they switched over the new Unix kernel did it still run software that had been written for the previous architecture?

It did. You were able to run OS 9 app in OS X. You can also run apps written for IBM's PowerPC architecture under the Intel x86 processor on a Mac using Rosetta which does all the translation on the fly.
GoGo Delicious is online now  
post #34 of 39 Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
thomasamiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

Thomas, neat thread you have there, it's a shame you put it in the remote control forum instead of the home automation forum, many of the people that would be most interested in it will not see it there, I rarely ever visit that forum as it is usually just a lot of talk about basic handheld remotes.

Thanks, when we do the next release I will move the thread over here to the automation forum. Please let me know if you have any feedback on the program. I intend to give this away to anybody who wants it.
thomasamiller is offline  
post #35 of 39 Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Member
 
spinsic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love this forum.
spinsic is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Syphon Filter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

OK, I don't want this to sound as negatively as it did...

It's a common theme in your posts
Syphon Filter is offline  
post #37 of 39 Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,003
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphon Filter View Post

It's a common theme in your posts

Chinese philosopher once said: "If you can't criticize something, you don't know it well enough!"

Maybe you have been fortunate enough to find the perfect technology that needs nothing but praise. I have not. During the 1980s, I was working on the Unix operating system (father of Linux OS today). I was approached by Prentice Hall to write a book on how to make it run faster (one of my specialties during that time together with Unix kernel work). I accepted and wrote a detailed tutorial on how Unix works together with its tools to analyze its performance. Sadly, over the years, Unix instrumentation was badly mangled. I was very up front in pointing out all of these deficiencies in gory details. This, despite the fact that I made a living from that OS, and liked nothing even remotely better. The intro to that book, makes the above statement I quoted .

So please don't confuse someone seeing areas that need improvement with having an intentional negative bias against something. What needs to be said has to be said so that products get improved and folks here, have a better understanding of what these technologies do, especially since it is so hard to get objective data on them otherwise. To wit, there is not a single article I have ever seen that compares the development tools of these automation system. Heck, there is not one review that compares them at all in any area. It is amazing how the industry operates this way.

So my apology in advance to those of you who are in love with the technology and see nothing wrong with it. You will simply have to go down that journey without me .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

amirm is online now  
post #38 of 39 Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Dahwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

So my apology in advance to those of you who are in love with the technology and see nothing wrong with it. You will simply have to go down that journey without me .

Damn you! J/K very good points though in your statement. Lately I have not seen your remarks in a negative light, however, I have seen other times in posts where your remarks were nothing but negative and maybe for no reason at all. But as I always say, to each his own. There is a big difference in pointing out flaws in a manner that will get a positive response and pointing out flaws in a way that will get a negative response. I have read some posts where you were on both ends of the spectrum. I have also done this. I think it just depends on how we're feeling that day and what we're talking about

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
Dahwoo is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Syphon Filter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwoo View Post

Damn you! J/K very good points though in your statement. Lately I have not seen your remarks in a negative light, however, I have seen other times in posts where your remarks were nothing but negative and maybe for no reason at all. But as I always say, to each his own. There is a big difference in pointing out flaws in a manner that will get a positive response and pointing out flaws in a way that will get a negative response. I have read some posts where you were on both ends of the spectrum. I have also done this. I think it just depends on how we're feeling that day and what we're talking about

+1.

I totally agree. Sometimes I see your posts as pointing out flaws in a logical and constructive manner othertimes, not so much.
Syphon Filter is offline  
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off