Automated blackout shades... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
IPT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The window one I have is a blackout and it does a really good job. It is vastly different than the skylight which is not a blackout. The ones I looked at had that "honeycomb" stucture whic makes it have a lot of layers. It also has Mylar inbetween the layers so it probably is pretty efficent at keeping the light blocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is window one the brand? Where did you get it (assuming you bought locally)

The ones bought from JC Penney's and Home Depot / Lowes are horrible so not only the HT needs and overhaul the Bedroom needs something as well.....
post #33 of 46 Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have Hunter Douglas checking to see what they would charge to direct ship to you from the US. I won't have it until Thursday.

Deane

post #34 of 46 Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, the information I got back on shipping was not helpful. While Hunter has a flat shipping rate in the lower 48, they charge actual shipping costs for Alaska. There is no way to know what that is, since all orders weigh a different amount.
post #35 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
IPT, good to see a fellow alaskan. I had custom drapes made for me with blackout lining. this stops all of the light from coming through. I also have the honeycomb style up/down's that you have. I have not automated these because I wouldn't know how to be honest. But I imagine with some type of motor and a remote this could be done. Are you stuck on the in window up/down style for blocking light?
post #36 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you are looking at shades... I know that providence utilizes motor driven blackout shades in some of their conference rooms here in Alaska. I work at Providence, so the next time I am in a conference room I will take a look and see what brand they are using. The are utilized for teleconferences and other things that require a projector and minimal light.
post #37 of 46 Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Three Alaskans in one thread - who would have thunk it
post #38 of 46 Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
IPT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
too funny. Probably has to do with those long bright summer nights! (which are rapidly fading). Anyway, I got him to chew another 10% off. The price now is probably about what it would cost to purchase and have ot shipped from the lower 48. Thanks everyone for the info and guidence.
post #39 of 46 Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
We do a lot of motorized blinds and shades. We just finished a job where 11 motorized blinds, all located next to each other in a semi-circle, all lower in perfect unison. It's a great sight as they come down.

If you'll detail your criteria and budget, I'll try to help you in the right direction. You can either do it here, or email me at deanej@cox.net
Are you still doing shades, i know this is old, but im very interested in blackout motorized for two windows in a frenchdoor

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #40 of 46 Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Are you still doing shades, i know this is old, but im very interested in blackout motorized for two windows in a frenchdoor
Yes, still doing shades, but lots has changed in the motorized department since 2009. Lots.

I'd look at HunterDouglas PowerView. It's the most broad based system going in terms of product selection and continually advancing capabilities. There are others that are good such as Lutron. The cheap stuff that I frequently see talked about on here is sometimes OK, but usually a pretty limited selection of products. Most are limited to roller shades, which are popular right now, but personally I don't want to deal with fringe product that is here today and gone tomorrow.

Hunter no longer allows on-line sales, only local dealers. Hunter is not negative on the DIY person, but the best way to get the most out of your installation is through a local dealer. Figure on being able to buy at about 25% off retail. Hunters shade products carry a lifetime warranty, but motorization is limited to a 5 year warranty. They don't cover service calls in the warranty.

If I can help you with on what you might need so that you have an idea of what you're looking for, I'll be happy to.
post #41 of 46 Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, still doing shades, but lots has changed in the motorized department since 2009. Lots.

I'd look at HunterDouglas PowerView. It's the most broad based system going in terms of product selection and continually advancing capabilities. There are others that are good such as Lutron. The cheap stuff that I frequently see talked about on here is sometimes OK, but usually a pretty limited selection of products. Most are limited to roller shades, which are popular right now, but personally I don't want to deal with fringe product that is here today and gone tomorrow.

Hunter no longer allows on-line sales, only local dealers. Hunter is not negative on the DIY person, but the best way to get the most out of your installation is through a local dealer. Figure on being able to buy at about 25% off retail. Hunters shade products carry a lifetime warranty, but motorization is limited to a 5 year warranty. They don't cover service calls in the warranty.

If I can help you with on what you might need so that you have an idea of what you're looking for, I'll be happy to.
I found a local dealer, thank you for a quick reply. Any idea what two shades, motorized for two windows 27"x67" could be, or a ballpark figure ????

post #42 of 46 Old 09-15-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found a local dealer, thank you for a quick reply. Any idea what two shades, motorized for two windows 27"x67" could be, or a ballpark figure ????
I can give you exact numbers, but I need to know the type of shade. If there are handles the fabric has to fit behind, the roller shades are usually easiest to work with. If the handles aren't a consideration, you can consider honeycombs.

There is probably something else that might work in blackout once you dig into this. A little depends on how blackout you need it. For projection video you need very solid blackout. For plasma it's not so critical unless the location allows reflection in the screen. And, of course, the room decor plays into the choice.
post #43 of 46 Old 09-15-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can give you exact numbers, but I need to know the type of shade. If there are handles the fabric has to fit behind, the roller shades are usually easiest to work with. If the handles aren't a consideration, you can consider honeycombs.

There is probably something else that might work in blackout once you dig into this. A little depends on how blackout you need it. For projection video you need very solid blackout. For plasma it's not so critical unless the location allows reflection in the screen. And, of course, the room decor plays into the choice.
My only real concern is total blackout 100% like the windows were painted black, or boarded up.

The handle can easily be swung out of the way which would leave the wood boarder around the glass to be used to attach to the door, and stationary window.

I really dont know my options, so if we can throw some idea's around i could easily pick which would work, keeping cost down may help you with suggestions.

Motorized is cool, but i have a few projects going and cost is a concideration, so if you would be so kind and start with the least expensive pulldown shade that blocks all the light that would be great. I would like darkbrown facing the room and white on the back to reflect sunlight.

Hope this helps.....This is a dedicated mancave so pretty isnt really needed

post #44 of 46 Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can give you exact numbers
Go on.........

post #45 of 46 Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Go on.........
I think you've reduced this to the simplest roller shade possible with manual control. It doesn't require HunterDouglas for a "man cave". Something from Home Depot would be adequate since you're concerned with cost. You should be able to install them yourself.

Many of these shades are white to the outside, but not all. That means your shades will reflect sunlight back onto the woodwork trim and reflect into the room. If the woodwork is white or thereabouts, the reflection is considerable. Not all blackouts will be white to the outside which will help.

Cordless vs a chain loop is part of the decision process. Cordless mechanisms break down once in awhile. Ask your supplier what the pathway to repair is. Most shades have a lifetime guarantee on the cordless, but not all. You still have to send them somewhere for repair. Cordless increases the cost of the shade.

I have never seen a photo of your doors, so I can't comment on any issues I might see that need to be addressed.

Quoting requires the selection of the material the shade will be composed of. I would expect you to have to spend somewhere between $150 to $300 for the two shades. You need to go your big box stores and look at product and get a price. Anything I would quote you would be irrelevant since I'm not selling them. When this started out motorized/remote control, I thought it useful to get you some generalized figures. For a couple of low cost roller shades, you don't need me.
post #46 of 46 Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you've reduced this to the simplest roller shade possible with manual control. It doesn't require HunterDouglas for a "man cave". Something from Home Depot would be adequate since you're concerned with cost. You should be able to install them yourself.

Many of these shades are white to the outside, but not all. That means your shades will reflect sunlight back onto the woodwork trim and reflect into the room. If the woodwork is white or thereabouts, the reflection is considerable. Not all blackouts will be white to the outside which will help.

Cordless vs a chain loop is part of the decision process. Cordless mechanisms break down once in awhile. Ask your supplier what the pathway to repair is. Most shades have a lifetime guarantee on the cordless, but not all. You still have to send them somewhere for repair. Cordless increases the cost of the shade.

I have never seen a photo of your doors, so I can't comment on any issues I might see that need to be addressed.

Quoting requires the selection of the material the shade will be composed of. I would expect you to have to spend somewhere between $150 to $300 for the two shades. You need to go your big box stores and look at product and get a price. Anything I would quote you would be irrelevant since I'm not selling them. When this started out motorized/remote control, I thought it useful to get you some generalized figures. For a couple of low cost roller shades, you don't need me.
Okey Dokes, i'll get to Lowes or Depot, thank you for your assistance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page