14Likes

post #1171 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
If I were you I'd just get the VCRX, since that would work today with Essentials... The RF softswitch would work, but it is only one relay (its designed for switching 110 v devices), whereas a VCRX has 4 CCO outputs, not to mention the inputs and other features...
I agree there's definitely more functionality to another VCRX, but it's like $225 vs $80 and there's nothing else I can ever think of that I'd need to wire in addition to this at that location on the VCRX should I put another one there. Plus I have another sliding glass door in the basement theater room that if this works, I can put another similar drapery system in as it costs about 10% of the cost of Lutrons, so again, now looking at a 3rd VCRX or these single LMJ-16R-DV-B modules, software (Essentials vs Inclusive) aside of course in that comparison. I'm sure there's a way to get my hands on the Inclusive if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Given you say the shades have 3 closures I'd go with the VCRX. That way you've got as complete a layer of control as the shade hardware supports. This is key, because just using one would likely involve some sort of external relays, and possibly some wife-annoying lack of precision over controlling it 'properly'.
post #1173 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Pulling wire and spend a few dollars more is undoubtedly worth it when it comes to not having something that'll annoy you or the wife.

Don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish'. This comes up a lot WRT stuff like HWQS. RA2 gets a lot of the same thinking at Lutron, thus the disconnect regarding the software. It's dumb and RA2 is a great DIY solution.

Last edited by wkearney99; 09-18-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #1174 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Pulling wire and spend a few dollars more is undoubtedly worth it when it comes to not having something that'll annoy you or the wife. Don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish'. This comes up a lot WRT stuff like HWQS. RA2 gets a lot of the same thinking at Lutron, thus the disconnect regarding the software. It's dumb and RA2 is a great DIY solution.
Haha...ok, I agree with you there. So 1 more VCRX near the drapery system on my upstairs balcony...then run a wire from the basement drapery system to the VCRX where my upstairs balcony is and that VCRX can control both systems fully? Or does the VCRX need 6 outputs to do full control (and it only has 4?)....in which case a VCRX in both locations?
post #1175 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by howieumd View Post
Haha...ok, I agree with you there. So 1 more VCRX near the drapery system on my upstairs balcony...then run a wire from the basement drapery system to the VCRX where my upstairs balcony is and that VCRX can control both systems fully? Or does the VCRX need 6 outputs to do full control (and it only has 4?)....in which case a VCRX in both locations?
Looking at your schematic, I think you can control the shade with just one CCO and one keypad button (do you really want 3 keypad buttons used to control the shade?). Push the button once, the shade starts closing. Push it again, it stops. Push it again it starts opening, and push it again and it stops. Fairly easy to comprehend, and most of the time only requires a single button press (i.e. you are trying to open or close the shade fully)...

So, if you wire it that way, one VCRX could control 4 shades....
post #1176 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
Looking at your schematic, I think you can control the shade with just one CCO and one keypad button (do you really want 3 keypad buttons used to control the shade?). Push the button once, the shade starts closing. Push it again, it stops. Push it again it starts opening, and push it again and it stops. Fairly easy to comprehend, and most of the time only requires a single button press (i.e. you are trying to open or close the shade fully)...

So, if you wire it that way, one VCRX could control 4 shades....

That makes sense too. I haven't got any keypads or remotes yet, but yes, 3 buttons might be overkill for one shade. I do everything with my iPhone/iPad and use a lot of timers and scenes, but keypads are definitely next on the list.
post #1177 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

When you have separate closures you have the option of controlling them that way. As in, a time of day scheduled action for opening or closing. Using just one as a hold doesn't allow for that. At least not without wandering into the fiddle-factor territory, where the wife starts making 'that face' regarding the gadgets...

If you want to save money then having just the closures for open & close would allow two shades on one VCRX. Which begs the question of how much do you want to be able to control stopping it somewhere else?

I suppose you could do something like keep the existing controls and have the automation system operating in parallel. That way any point you want to trigger it from (events, keypads, apps, etc) would only be able to do open & close. But a local control would allow for the stop/start. Might be the best of both scenarios.
post #1178 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
When you have separate closures you have the option of controlling them that way. As in, a time of day scheduled action for opening or closing. Using just one as a hold doesn't allow for that. At least not without wandering into the fiddle-factor territory, where the wife starts making 'that face' regarding the gadgets...
Good point. I hadn't thought of scheduling options.... all of my automated shades are Lutron, so while I use a single button to manually control them, I do have them open or close on a schedule, and that is very convenient.

So I would modify my suggestion to try to have a separate control in the VCRX for open and close... presumably that could be done with two CCOs....
post #1179 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium6 View Post
My electrician is concerned that if we pull power for a keypad from a nearby outlet, like I had suggested, that it might interfere with the keypad if we are running a vacuum cleaner from that outlet. Has anyone bumped into that kind of problem before? Is the only solution to run a dedicated circuit for the keypads, as the electrician suggested?
Your electrician sounds like he just wants to charge more for adding that circuit...

Even if it interfered, which is VERY unlikely, how often is the vacuum going to be run anyway? What's the chance it's going to be active when anyone needs the keypad's control? Again, highly unlikely. Someone's going to have the vacuum in-hand and then suddenly need to flip on a light?
post #1180 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
They also showed the Smartbridge for Caseta. But, really, it's just a dumbed down main repeater.
Ironically a big hardware upgrade though.
post #1181 of 1193 Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
RA1, RA2 and Blinds

I have Radio RA1 in my house which was installed by the previous owner. I've been in the process trying to get motorized blinds installed in the house, but would like to have a fair amount of control.

I looked at Serena, but realized it didn't offer quite what I wanted, so I guess it makes more sense to go with Sovoia? I almost went with Hunter Douglas, though I know it's not compatible with Lutron, but they offer plenty of control for our use. The problem was the door blinds couldn't be installed flush because of the batter pack. I'm not sure which Sovoia to go with and haven't had any luck finding dealers who know what they're talking about and will spend the time with me.

In the future I plan to upgrade the lights, but I don't know wether to go with RA2 or HWQS? I'm leaning to HWQS. I know either way, every wall switch will need to be replaced and that's not going to be cheap.

Builds: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 x 5. 
post #1182 of 1193 Old 09-19-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Right, moving from RA1 requires rip-and-replace. But unless there's something your lighting doesn't do now there's no pressing reason to upgrade.

Sivioia comes in a lot of different styles, honeycomb, roller, venetian, vertical and horizontal (think Silhouette style). Serena comes in honeycomb only, but are less expensive.

I'm considered Hunter Douglass for a couple of rooms because they offer a bottom-up mechanism. The master bath and living rooms would work better with that style.

HWQS offers an even greater range of automation options than RA2 but does come at a greater expense. Like double. For larger homes it's definitely worth considering, if only because RA2 supports up to 200 devices. RA2's device limit would likely more than cover a typical 6BR house. More than that and HWQS is probably worth considering.

When you start including shades the device counts really add up.
post #1183 of 1193 Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Right, moving from RA1 requires rip-and-replace. But unless there's something your lighting doesn't do now there's no pressing reason to upgrade.

Sivioia comes in a lot of different styles, honeycomb, roller, venetian, vertical and horizontal (think Silhouette style). Serena comes in honeycomb only, but are less expensive.

I'm considered Hunter Douglass for a couple of rooms because they offer a bottom-up mechanism. The master bath and living rooms would work better with that style.

HWQS offers an even greater range of automation options than RA2 but does come at a greater expense. Like double. For larger homes it's definitely worth considering, if only because RA2 supports up to 200 devices. RA2's device limit would likely more than cover a typical 6BR house. More than that and HWQS is probably worth considering.

When you start including shades the device counts really add up.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I don't see a need to upgrade from RA1 right now. We do have a 6 bedroom house 10k sqft, but things seem to be fine for now.

We're only doing the windows in our kitchen and family room which are next to each other and the blinds will be the same color (accord to my wife). The family room has 4 large windows and the kitchen has one where the blinds will need to be flush mounted. For that reason we're not inclined to go with HunterDouglas, which is a shame because we like everything else about the shades. We live at 7000 ft and we need all the help we can get from blinds for insulation.

The reason I thought of not going with Serena is the lack of controls. I'd like to have the blinds scheduled to go up and down at specific times and also be triggered by sunlight - when it hits the windows etc. Not only do we need protection from the cold in winter, but we have lots of real wood trim that needs protection.

The other aspect is that we have an ELAN music system throughout the house, but that too needs an upgrade. I started another thread regarding that issue, but garnered few reposes.

My apologies for the off topic issues.

Builds: 
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
 x 5. 
post #1184 of 1193 Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if Radio RA 2 has any plans to add the Honeywell Wifi thermostat to its system? The Smart Bridge has this and I was hoping RA2 would get the ability to control it as well.

Also, I know that a Honeywell security system can be used to trigger events in RA2 by connecting it to the main repeater. Does anyone know if Lutron has any plans to have the security system be controlled via the Home Control app or Lutron keypads? It would be nice to be able to arm and disarm the security system via the Lutron app.

Thanks.
post #1185 of 1193 Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I seem to recall there are developments planned for more RA2 & thermostat interaction. I didn't hear about anything regarding security and the app. It's not been my area of interest. But consider there are ways to use 3rd party programs to interact with the system. You can track buttons via the Ethernet connection on the main repeater. Then use that to trigger something in the outside programs.

I did ask about the annoying thermostat 'advertisement' in the app. The option to not show it is coming in the next release, which would presumably coincide with the version 8 release of the PC program.

I forgot to ask at the show (but will probably ask it on the lutron forums) as to whether there will be a way to default what comes up for each room. I'd prefer to have some rooms show the keypad as the default view instead of the dimmers. Or at least have the app remember that last choice.

Lutron does seem very tuned into avoiding too much confusion regarding feature parity. So Caseta having "more" than RA2 (wrt the SmartBridge) does seem like something they'd be interested in addressing in the near future. But it wouldn't hurt to bring it to their attention.
post #1186 of 1193 Old 09-20-2014, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
Does anyone know if Radio RA 2 has any plans to add the Honeywell Wifi thermostat to its system?
The Lutron TouchPro is a Honeywell thermostat that operates on ClearConnect so it can work with the system. I have one in my system and like it a bunch. When I press away, the temp rolls back, etc.
post #1187 of 1193 Old 09-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
The Lutron TouchPro is a Honeywell thermostat that operates on ClearConnect so it can work with the system. I have one in my system and like it a bunch. When I press away, the temp rolls back, etc.
Sure, but caseta is compatible with 7 Honeywell models including color screen voice activated and they are all cheaper than touchpro.
therockhr likes this.
post #1188 of 1193 Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 View Post
Sure, but caseta is compatible with 7 Honeywell models including color screen voice activated and they are all cheaper than touchpro.
I don't even understand why Lutron felt the need to bring another line to market. It's too late now but if I were buying a lighting line today, I'd probably bypass Lutron since they seem schizophrenic in terms of lines and capabilities...too much dilution right now. I hope it shakes out well but right now I have to say I'm not exactly pleased with the investment I've made in RadioRa2 and it is all Lutrons doing, the product itself is fine if a little light on software capabilities.
post #1189 of 1193 Old 09-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I don't even understand why Lutron felt the need to bring another line to market. It's too late now but if I were buying a lighting line today, I'd probably bypass Lutron since they seem schizophrenic in terms of lines and capabilities...too much dilution right now. I hope it shakes out well but right now I have to say I'm not exactly pleased with the investment I've made in RadioRa2 and it is all Lutrons doing, the product itself is fine if a little light on software capabilities.
They wanted a closed system using 434MHz ClearConnect, which makes some sense because it can talk directly to the repeater without IP, but I agree extensibility is a good thing.
post #1190 of 1193 Old 09-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Because the big box stores want affordable automation products and they place huge orders.
post #1191 of 1193 Old 09-21-2014, 07:37 PM
MoG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question RadioRa 2 vs. Caseta

ahhhh...I see i'm not the only one thinking about this... i'm in the early stages of building a new house and am trying to figure out what HA solutions I want. I keep getting confused when trying to compare Caseta to RadioRa2 as it appears that Caseta is more extensible and better able to be integrated into other solutions like SmartThings, HomeKit, IFTTT, etc??

Quote:

- just a click away
post #1192 of 1193 Old Today, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WANTED: RA2 dimmer and switch color kit's Light Almond

I'm looking to purchase or trade color change kits for RA2 in Light Almond. I have a couple different colors to trade, mostly WH. Please PM me with details if you can help.

Eric
post #1193 of 1193 Old Today, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post
I'm looking to purchase or trade color change kits for RA2 in Light Almond. I have a couple different colors to trade, mostly WH. Please PM me with details if you can help.
(I can't help you directly because I went the same color direction - from anything TO Light Almond... )

FYI - I found the best way to handle this is to purchase the bulk 10-packs from a Lutron dealer, as that gets the cost (with shipping) down to around $3/kit. Lutron has IIRC a 10-pack of dimmer kits (works for all dimmer types), and a mix pack of dimmers and switch kits. I used both of these since I tended to grab any cheap RA2 dimmer/switch I could find regardless of color. Amazing how much cheaper the "weird" colors go on the secondary market... And you reminded me that I really need to post a classified for my quantity of white and ivory kits after all my change-out.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page