Lutrons RadioRA2 - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Newbie
 
John Gibbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, CA USA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
spiwrx confirmed that the RA2 KPs and dimmers fit into the Lutron Glass Faceplates, LFGR-1, LFGR-2, and LFGR-3. He found this image:

REMOVED (due to post count restriction), see original post above for the image.
Forgive me if this is obvious, I'm brand new to all of this. The keypad in the image has flat buttons which is different from the typical RRA2 keypads I've seen. Is this a new style? Is it the new keypad you're referring to?

Thanks,
John
John Gibbons is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Member
 
rapamatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Glencoe, IL
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibbons View Post
Forgive me if this is obvious, I'm brand new to all of this. The keypad in the image has flat buttons which is different from the typical RRA2 keypads I've seen. Is this a new style? Is it the new keypad you're referring to?



Thanks,

John

That's a 4 button pico in the picture.
rapamatic is offline  
post #1563 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
John Gibbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, CA USA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
That's a 4 button pico in the picture.
Thanks. I should have known since I have one of those 4 button connected bulb remotes which is fairly similar in styling.

Cheers,
John
John Gibbons is offline  
post #1564 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,855
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibbons View Post
Forgive me if this is obvious, I'm brand new to all of this. The keypad in the image has flat buttons which is different from the typical RRA2 keypads I've seen. Is this a new style? Is it the new keypad you're referring to?

Thanks,
John
That style is from the more exclusive HomeWorks QS line of lighting control, which include several designs. RadioRA 2 keypads only come in the Designer seeTouch with insert style, and the newly released Grafik T.

HomeWorks QS keypad brochure: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...een%20view.pdf

Current RadioRA 2 brochure (10/2015): http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/367-1663.pdf

Lutron Glass Faceplates wallplates are only made for select QS KPs and dimmers (but one of them has the same Decora opening for RA2 - Designer seeTouch with insert).

I strongly considered installing HomeWorks originally, but I wanted to DIY, and the wife didn't want to spend the money, 2 good reasons. That looks like a Palladiom KP above, with the glass wallplate.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is online now  
post #1565 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Newbie
 
John Gibbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, CA USA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
That style is from the more exclusive HomeWorks QS line of lighting control, which include several designs. RadioRA 2 keypads only come in the Designer seeTouch with insert style, and the newly released Grafik T.

HomeWorks QS keypad brochure: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...een%20view.pdf

Current RadioRA 2 brochure (10/2015): http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/367-1663.pdf

Lutron Glass Faceplates wallplates are only made for select QS KPs and dimmers (but one of them has the same Decora opening for RA2 - Designer seeTouch with insert).

I strongly considered installing HomeWorks originally, but I wanted to DIY, and the wife didn't want to spend the money, 2 good reasons. That looks like a Palladiom KP above, with the glass wallplate.
Thanks. I take it the lack of Palladiom keypads for RR2 is purely marketing and not technical. It's a shame. Exactly how much more does Homeworks cost over Radio RA2, do you happen to know?

Cheers,
John
John Gibbons is offline  
post #1566 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Member
 
rapamatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Glencoe, IL
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Lutrons RadioRA2

I think it's at least 2x the cost, but hard to compare apples to apples since it has a different model - more centralized dimming with panels and low voltage to keypads in rooms...

Biggest issue is that it is 100% NOT DIY, so you have to pay installer markup/list price...
rapamatic is offline  
post #1567 of 1618 Old 01-21-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,855
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 134
My wild guess for QS, compared to RA2, could be way off the mark. I suggest you ask a local QS dealer for a quote for each.

I spoke with a colleague today about his new Caseta install. He was unhappy with it because one of his dimmers wasn't behaving correctly. He actually said he regretted installing it, because of this. I explained that there is a good chance it"s an RF issue (too far from the hub?), or maybe just a bad dimmer. He bought all the hardware and had a random electrician install it. So, he's unhappy because of an issue that would be easily solved with a dealer install. He wants it to 'just work' when, for a little extra effort, it would be perfect. Pro would have said that dimmer is too far, or would just try a different dimmer. There is a lot to be said for pro installs, by someone familiar with the tech.

I've been installing RA2 piecemeal in my house over the last 6 years, and still learn a lot every time I add hardware. If you really dig into the documentation, there are subtle details that you'll find that can make a difference, details that a pro already knows well.

If one is going to DIY RA2, read as much as you can, learn the details that a pro is already familiar with. And, find a good distributor that offers incredible support (thanks again, spiwrx!).

Keep in mind there are lots of local RA2 dealers around. Find a good one. The one who also installs HomeWorks QS is probably better than the one who doesn't. He'll cost more, but may be worth it to you. You might get a deal by using one who doesn't install HW QS.
jautor and BradKas like this.
Neurorad is online now  
post #1568 of 1618 Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
spiwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
My wild guess for QS, compared to RA2, could be way off the mark. I suggest you ask a local QS dealer for a quote for each.

I spoke with a colleague today about his new Caseta install. He was unhappy with it because one of his dimmers wasn't behaving correctly. He actually said he regretted installing it, because of this. I explained that there is a good chance it"s an RF issue (too far from the hub?), or maybe just a bad dimmer. He bought all the hardware and had a random electrician install it. So, he's unhappy because of an issue that would be easily solved with a dealer install. He wants it to 'just work' when, for a little extra effort, it would be perfect. Pro would have said that dimmer is too far, or would just try a different dimmer. There is a lot to be said for pro installs, by someone familiar with the tech.

I've been installing RA2 piecemeal in my house over the last 6 years, and still learn a lot every time I add hardware. If you really dig into the documentation, there are subtle details that you'll find that can make a difference, details that a pro already knows well.

If one is going to DIY RA2, read as much as you can, learn the details that a pro is already familiar with. And, find a good distributor that offers incredible support (thanks again, spiwrx!).

Keep in mind there are lots of local RA2 dealers around. Find a good one. The one who also installs HomeWorks QS is probably better than the one who doesn't. He'll cost more, but may be worth it to you. You might get a deal by using one who doesn't install HW QS.
I was also bummed to find the palladium was HW, maybe if enough of us complain...

HW vs. RA2 in terms of pricing is hard to say because piece by piece it can be close, but the initial processor and ancillary equipment is huge. The real downside is lack of user programming. Double is a fair guess but you realistically looking at near 10k to do a small home, plus programming/installation by a certified installer.

As far as the Caseta problem, I would try relocating the "Bridge" (Repeater) if possible, if it is indeed a range problem. If you care to share the details(load type, total, distances, etc) I may have other suggestions. Remember this was meant for a small apartment, studio, and single room applications. It was never intended for a full single family home. That being said I just did a tri-level condo for my niece with the stuff and it worked flawlessly and I was probably at 30ft from furthest devices easy. It's very limited as well. The App. is pretty basic also. No keypads, but you can create some scenes in the App. But for the basics of automation it's there and all she really needed. The second reason is the stuff isn't selling and I need to get rid of it...

FYI:

9.3 is out for those of you unaware.

Hybrid CL should be releasing any day.

Connect Bridge looks like it's pushed to the end of Q1.

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
paul@hankselectric.net
spiwrx is online now  
post #1569 of 1618 Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,855
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
spiwrx confirmed that the RA2 KPs and dimmers fit into the Lutron Glass Faceplates, LFGR-1, LFGR-2, and LFGR-3. He found this image:



and he provided the documentation: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369756_ENG.pdf

He also said the new C/L Hybrid Keypad will be released very soon.

Thanks, Paul. Greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gibbons View Post
Forgive me if this is obvious, I'm brand new to all of this. The keypad in the image has flat buttons which is different from the typical RRA2 keypads I've seen. Is this a new style? Is it the new keypad you're referring to?

Thanks,
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
That's a 4 button pico in the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
That style is from the more exclusive HomeWorks QS line of lighting control, which include several designs. RadioRA 2 keypads only come in the Designer seeTouch with insert style, and the newly released Grafik T.

HomeWorks QS keypad brochure: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...een%20view.pdf

Current RadioRA 2 brochure (10/2015): http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/367-1663.pdf

Lutron Glass Faceplates wallplates are only made for select QS KPs and dimmers (but one of them has the same Decora opening for RA2 - Designer seeTouch with insert).

I strongly considered installing HomeWorks originally, but I wanted to DIY, and the wife didn't want to spend the money, 2 good reasons. That looks like a Palladiom KP above, with the glass wallplate.
OK, I'm an idiot. That image with the glass plate is not the Palladium. It's a 4-button wireless engravable battery operated Pico, not HW QS.

4-button Pico:


http://www.cepro.com/article/new_4-b...ffective_scene

QS Palladium:

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is online now  
post #1570 of 1618 Old 02-10-2016, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
schalliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carmel, IN, USA
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm pretty sure you the standard Homeworks keypad button kits are compatible with RR2 keypads too:


I really like the Palladiom keypads, and I wish Lutron offered them for RR2. My gripe with the regular keypads is that the buttons are so small that they're not easy to press when holding something else or you don't want to completely stop walking.
schalliol is online now  
post #1571 of 1618 Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 9,864
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I really like the Palladiom keypads, and I wish Lutron offered them for RR2. My gripe with the regular keypads is that the buttons are so small that they're not easy to press when holding something else or you don't want to completely stop walking.
Agreed! I've got a few locations where I only need two or three buttons, and it would be much more usable if that blank space was consumed by the buttons instead of having to hit the little tiny one... I have a keypad at the bottom of my stairs that I'd really like a Palladium!
schalliol likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
post #1572 of 1618 Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
schalliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carmel, IN, USA
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I know this isn't a classified forum, but since it's THE RR2 forum, is anyone interested I a good deal on a like new Lutron TouchPro? It's really easy to install and is in absolutely perfect condition. The thermostat is made by Honeywell and is Lutron ClearConnect enabled for control for home/away functions, mobile phone control etc. PM if interested. Will warrant it works perfectly initially or money back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455682827758.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	1259337   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1455682852185.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1259345  
schalliol is online now  
post #1573 of 1618 Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
spiwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I know a few of you keep asking and Lutron keeps pushing back. The CL Hybrid Keypad and Connect Bridge both had their release pushed back to the End of March, and from my experience I may expect it to get pushed again, but I'll post here as soon as we're able to order and If I get enough interest maybe we'll do a group buy or some sort of additional discount.

For those of you entertaining Glass Wallplates we have sold a few orders but initial feed back, specifically for Multi-Gang, is they are delicate and one customer broke a couple. Much like the screwless plates you may have to take them on/off a couple times to adjust their extension and to get them as flush as you want them. In doing so he cracked a couple. Just like their "Stainless" these are a very thin piece of glass over a plastic mount. The snap is not the same as there Claro (Plastic) plates, a lighter snap but even so, take care...
dgage and Neurorad like this.

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
paul@hankselectric.net
spiwrx is online now  
post #1574 of 1618 Old 02-22-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiwrx View Post
For those of you entertaining Glass Wallplates we have sold a few orders but initial feed back, specifically for Multi-Gang, is they are delicate and one customer broke a couple.
Heh, I have trouble not breaking plastic ones! Not Claro, though, those things are tough! I'll be skipping glass ones for the foreseeable future.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #1575 of 1618 Old 02-22-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiwrx View Post
I know a few of you keep asking and Lutron keeps pushing back. The CL Hybrid Keypad and Connect Bridge both had their release pushed back to the End of March, and from my experience I may expect it to get pushed again, but I'll post here as soon as we're able to order and If I get enough interest maybe we'll do a group buy or some sort of additional discount.
Count me in for a buy.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #1576 of 1618 Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 AM
Senior Member
 
schalliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carmel, IN, USA
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+1 for connect bridge, but you already knew that
schalliol is online now  
post #1577 of 1618 Old 02-23-2016, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DMILANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1 for me too on group buy.
DMILANI is offline  
post #1578 of 1618 Old 02-23-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,855
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 134
+1 group buy

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is online now  
post #1579 of 1618 Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 AM
Member
 
op-center's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am watching this space for the connect bridge. I would definitely be interested in being part of a group buy.
op-center is offline  
post #1580 of 1618 Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
schalliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carmel, IN, USA
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I really like AVS, but you should definitely also be checking the Lutron Forums for additional info. There's been some discussion about the Connect Bridge there.
schalliol is online now  
post #1581 of 1618 Old 02-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
spiwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I really like AVS, but you should definitely also be checking the Lutron Forums for additional info. There's been some discussion about the Connect Bridge there.
I didn't notice any specific thread or maybe didn't dig deep enough. Do you have a more specific link?

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
paul@hankselectric.net
spiwrx is online now  
post #1582 of 1618 Old 02-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
FlyingDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 42
FlyingDiver is offline  
post #1583 of 1618 Old 02-26-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 9,864
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Which I started... But the thread here has more traffic!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
post #1584 of 1618 Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
spiwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sorry guys I was fumbling through the message system here on AVS, I DM'd those of you that requested about the connect bridge. I don't like their message system so you may have got the same message once or twice. Please email me if you have questions, I really don't like how cumbersome their message system is. I still don't have all the details on functionality, some of you probably know more about it than me already, but I'll do my best to find out.

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
paul@hankselectric.net
spiwrx is online now  
post #1585 of 1618 Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
spiwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Everyone the Connect was supposed to release on the 14th and got pushed back to the 31st. For USPS orders you have to wait for us to receive them and re-ship. For orders that added other items and are drop shipping, they should ship with 48hours (2 business days) of the release date direct to you on UPS or FEDEX Ground.

Lutron has played with this release date moving it back and forth since January. If you want to cancel and get a refund just contact me. Otherwise I hope to see these start heading out First week of April. Again, it's out of my control we have several orders in with them and will get them to you as soon as possible. If you have other items on the same order they should release sooner and may ship in multiple shipments.

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
paul@hankselectric.net
spiwrx is online now  
post #1586 of 1618 Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DMILANI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiwrx View Post
Everyone the Connect was supposed to release on the 14th and got pushed back to the 31st. For USPS orders you have to wait for us to receive them and re-ship. For orders that added other items and are drop shipping, they should ship with 48hours (2 business days) of the release date direct to you on UPS or FEDEX Ground.

Lutron has played with this release date moving it back and forth since January. If you want to cancel and get a refund just contact me. Otherwise I hope to see these start heading out First week of April. Again, it's out of my control we have several orders in with them and will get them to you as soon as possible. If you have other items on the same order they should release sooner and may ship in multiple shipments.
Thanks for the update Paul.
DMILANI is offline  
post #1587 of 1618 Old 03-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Newbie
 
dragonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it too late for me to jump in on the group buy for the connect bridge? I assumed that there was going to be another notification after it was actually available..

Thanks
dragonian is offline  
post #1588 of 1618 Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
spiwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonian View Post
Is it too late for me to jump in on the group buy for the connect bridge? I assumed that there was going to be another notification after it was actually available..

Thanks
Please email me directly if we haven't already spoke. paul(at)hankselectric(dot)net

To the rest of you, if I haven't already delivered the bad news, Lutron has again bumped the release to April 15th. Again any pre-orders I've taken are completely refundable, just let me know....

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
paul@hankselectric.net
spiwrx is online now  
post #1589 of 1618 Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Foos-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The connect bridge seems very "meh" to me although I haven't done a thorough investigation. I use Simple Control (formerly Roomie remote) and it works great. For access out of the house my router has a built in VPN (Asus router). From iphone under settings you enable VPN and then you have access to all your lights. Honestly there aren't many times I need to access lights from outside the house. Simple control also handles my motorized curtains (using Somfy motor with Raspberry Pi). I'm still looking for the perfect home automation HUB.

Curious what you like about the connect bridge?
Foos-Man is offline  
post #1590 of 1618 Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Newbie
 
Brian Garber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos-Man View Post
From iphone under settings you enable VPN and then you have access to all your lights. Honestly there aren't many times I need to access lights from outside the house. Simple control also handles my motorized curtains (using Somfy motor with Raspberry Pi). I'm still looking for the perfect home automation HUB.

Curious what you like about the connect bridge?
Hello Foos, I too use a VPN into my router and the current app works just fine. However, I was planning on getting the bridge anyway. For one, I wonder how much longer Lutron will support the current Home Control+ app, and secondly I'm hoping that (along with geofencing and Nest support) that there will be additional functionality added in the future.

BTW, I also use Somfy blinds, and am curious how you use the RPi to control. I've recorded the Somfy waveform with an SDR dongle but have yet to fully decode the bitstream. I was planning on using a seriously cheap 433MHz serial transceiver module with the RPi.
Brian Garber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Automation

taboola here
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off