Lutrons RadioRA2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 1261 Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard anything about the Lutron RadioRA2 system? I'm currently looking at a home lighting control system and was considering the RadioRA system but hears they might be releasing a next generation. I have 15 windows that I want shades for and about 30 lighting loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1261 Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
http://www.cepro.com/article/lutron_..._home_control/
post #3 of 1261 Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 82
http://www.cepro.com/article/lutron_..._home_control/

http://www.twice.com/article/339764-...ntref=hottopic

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/CE...for_Less.shtml

http://www.hemagazine.com/lutron_rad...control_system

They all got the same press release.

Lutron's public site has nothing.

BUT - I took a shot in the dark, and came up with something:

ttp://radiora2.com/ - enjoy!

Edit - brochures and cut sheets for download available there

Edit#2 - I found the site before google did.

Edit #3 - NEW LUTRON RADIO RA2 WEBSITE - http://www.lutron.com/Products/Whole.../Overview.aspx

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 1261 Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Liked: 12
Oh wow this is big.

We do a lot a small RadioRa installs, and this is going to make it incredibly easier to get people on board.
All the short commings we have to address when pitching the system are totally solved with Ra2.

I'm excited
post #5 of 1261 Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradKas View Post

Oh wow this is big.

Yep!
post #6 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

No details of any programming software on the website.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Any word of reporting dim levels back to the controller?

post #8 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad;17151575
BUT - I took a shot in the dark, and came up with something:

[url
View Post

http://radiora2.com/[/url] - enjoy!

Nice find, thanks for all the links.
post #9 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradKas View Post

Oh wow this is big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

Yep!

But will this canibalize HW Wireless sales? I am at the limit of 64 on my HW wireless system, but this goes to 200. I had either 1) add a second proc ($1700) or 2) use Maestro timers on closets, etc. (which is what I did).

Yes, there a few less keypad options (still more than original RA) and no conditionals, but for the much lower cost, I probably could have made it work.

I still love my HW system though.

I wonder if this line will still be sold through distributor/online dealers like RA was or if it going to be more of a dealer only product.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #10 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

HomeWorks QS, a new HW wireless platform, is being announced at CEDIA.

I wonder how, and if, that will be integrated with HW4 and HW8.

Hey, how've you been, Dallas? I'm really greatful for all your help - I'm prob going with the RadioRa2 or HW4, paired with an HAI control (when HAI gets around to the integration).

post #11 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

But will this canibalize HW Wireless sales? I am at the limit of 64 on my HW wireless system, but this goes to 200. I had either 1) add a second proc ($1700) or 2) use Maestro timers on closets, etc. (which is what I did).

Yes, there a few less keypad options (still more than original RA) and no conditionals, but for the much lower cost, I probably could have made it work.

I still love my HW system though.

I wonder if this line will still be sold through distributor/online dealers like RA was or if it going to be more of a dealer only product.

From a business standpoint those were the second two things I also thought about (the first was that this opens up Ra to a whole new market). This is a very tricky proposition for Lutron:

1. Not cannibalizing the HW line. This may not be a huge concern for them as long as the dollars go to the RadioRa line. Competition is driving prices lower and they may be willing to take the hit.

2. Your distribution question is huge too. If anyone, even sparky (trade lingo for an electrician for those not familiar with the jargon) at your local electrical distributor can now sell RadioRa and it can handle 200+ switches, not only are they potentially cannibalizing the HW line, they may also alienate all of their HW dealers in the process.

Maybe that's why Lutron is suing Crestron - perhaps they figure a lot of dealers are about to move to Crestron . Anyhow, it will be interesting to watch this unfold.
post #12 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Maybe a newbie kind of question but if you were to install this system, is there any way to control it with a blackberry or itouch? Thanks
post #13 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I did a little more research and found out that sparky wont have the software access for the system. To get the software with the RadioRA2 system the dealers will need to get certified.
post #14 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM

I think/hope HW4/8 will be compatible with HWQS with the addition of a new wireless link (HQ-REP-120?). Also to use QS shade panels with a new interface (HWI-QS96?)

I'm excited about the integrated dimmer for the seeTouch line, and the possible ability to use GrafikEye QS with my HomeWorks 4 system
post #15 of 1261 Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperite View Post

I think/hope HW4/8 will be compatible with HWQS with the addition of a new wireless link (HQ-REP-120?). Also to use QS shade panels with a new interface (HWI-QS96?)

I'm excited about the integrated dimmer for the seeTouch line, and the possible ability to use GrafikEye QS with my HomeWorks 4 system

From what i was told or at least understood at CEDIA, the HW-QS will have a completely different protocol. So no backward compatibility. I was also told that not to say that there will be some way that the HW processor could talk to the HW-QS processor (2 systems communicating) since they are ethernet based. You just can't put a HW dimmer on a HW-QS system/network. It will also have the same protocol as the Radio-Ra2 which will actually allow you to mix and match the products and they can all talk to each other. The big thing about the HW-QS is it will now have over 4000 addresses it can talk to in its system and is still geared towards the centralized lighting architecture. Also, the wireless processor (processor for wireless dimmers) goes from the big box that goes in the panel to a smaller processor about the size of a DVD drive (well maybe thicker a little bit but you get the point). Both the Radio Ra2 and HW-QS is programmable in the same software. So it would be somewhat equivelent to Crestron wired and Infinet... They both work on the same processor, just different means of talking to the actual devices. Also the retail pricing for RadioRa2 is very very competitive. Less than retail of RadioRa. They are marketing radioRa2 for homes says around 4000 sq ft and under. You may need homeworks feedback and more than 64 dimmers but the home is not quite the 10,000 sq ft. Homeworks will be geared towards the bigger homes as that would be the optimal solutions as now dimmers and switches are not the only devices on the network, there occupancy sensors, motion sensors, thermostats, and more (going green now). So Homeworks QS definitely has more "toys" in its line than the RadioRa2. Lastly the thing i really like about the RadioRa2 is no more that having to go to each dimmer/switch to set up or acquire by the main repeater. you do all the addressing via the PC. And you can't go to the local hardware store to get them. You still need to get thru a Lutron dealer. So the dealer issue is not really a problem. In fact, it may allow some dealers to move more product as now the market for controlled lighting has just gotten bigger since more people can afford RadioRa2 system which is lower than RadioRa.
Also for those who don't desire controlled lighting they have some nice "eco-maestro" dimmers that you can get at home depot to replace the maestro currently found there.
I'm pretty sure that's what the lutron rep said, he was talking a million miles a minute and it was very noisy there.
Hope this helps.

Crestron Certified Programmer
post #16 of 1261 Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pirate View Post

From what i was told or at least understood at CEDIA, the HW-QS will have a completely different protocol. So no backward compatibility. I was also told that not to say that there will be some way that the HW processor could talk to the HW-QS processor (2 systems communicating) since they are ethernet based. You just can't put a HW dimmer on a HW-QS system/network. It will also have the same protocol as the Radio-Ra2 which will actually allow you to mix and match the products and they can all talk to each other. The big thing about the HW-QS is it will now have over 4000 addresses it can talk to in its system and is still geared towards the centralized lighting architecture. {..snip..}

That makes sense, but the several reps (both sales and tech) have told me that there would be a way to integrate GrafikEye QS with HomeWorks 4/8 in the future, so I'm hoping the future is now. I'm very excited about the HW-QS and RaRa2 processor lineups for customer installs, but they don't help me as a HW4 user
post #17 of 1261 Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

If anyone, even sparky (trade lingo for an electrician for those not familiar with the jargon) at your local electrical distributor can now sell RadioRa and it can handle 200+ switches, not only are they potentially cannibalizing the HW line, they may also alienate all of their HW dealers in the process.

From what I have read, HW is available to almost any sparky with a heartbeat.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #18 of 1261 Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Does anyone know when RadioRA2 will be available? It is out now?
Thank you
post #19 of 1261 Old 09-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post

From what I have read, HW is available to almost any sparky with a heartbeat.

NO, thats not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew0 View Post

Does anyone know when RadioRA2 will be available? It is out now?
Thank you

A soft start of some products will be available next month with the full release in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperite View Post

That makes sense, but the several reps (both sales and tech) have told me that there would be a way to integrate GrafikEye QS with HomeWorks 4/8 in the future, so I'm hoping the future is now. I'm very excited about the HW-QS and RaRa2 processor lineups for customer installs, but they don't help me as a HW4 user

When the new HW QS is released in April 2010
post #20 of 1261 Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

When do we get the details of HW-QS? CES? HW Wireless QS didn't really seem all that 'rolled out', just an announcement of 'Clear Connect'. Yeah, I picked up the QS color brochure - not very detailed. I like the new LED switches and keypads, just no details of wired QS available.

Just for clarification, any RR2 <-> QS connectivity? Hard to find this bit of info 'in print'. Julie J states emphatically that just because systems are 'Clear Connect' that they aren't necessarily compatible.

Anyone hear of QS pricing? Similar to current?

I'm trying to discover the faults of RR2, if anyone wants to share. It will be QS (wired + wireless combo) vs. RR2, for my own home, retrofit. Finding out all I can.

post #21 of 1261 Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

When the new HW QS is released in April 2010

So was I right about it just being an additional antenna on the repeater link to let 4/8 in on the QS lovin'?
post #22 of 1261 Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

No public details available on the HW4/8 QS integration, but maybe Chicagorep can share some generalizations? Pretty please?

Will HW 4/8 continue, unchanged?

post #23 of 1261 Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

No public details available on the HW4/8 QS integration, but maybe Chicagorep can share some generalizations? Pretty please?

Will HW 4/8 continue, unchanged?

HW 4/8 will be a whole new platform. Some very exciting things yet to come. At this Cedia selected dealers were invited to the Lutron Suite to review and critique the new platform. These comments will be used to finalize the new system. One thing that will be available is energy monitoring software that will allow the user to see their energy usage.
post #24 of 1261 Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

When do we get the details of HW-QS? CES? HW Wireless QS didn't really seem all that 'rolled out', just an announcement of 'Clear Connect'. Yeah, I picked up the QS color brochure - not very detailed. I like the new LED switches and keypads, just no details of wired QS available.

Just for clarification, any RR2 <-> QS connectivity? Hard to find this bit of info 'in print'. Julie J states emphatically that just because systems are 'Clear Connect' that they aren't necessarily compatible.

Anyone hear of QS pricing? Similar to current?

I'm trying to discover the faults of RR2, if anyone wants to share. It will be QS (wired + wireless combo) vs. RR2, for my own home, retrofit. Finding out all I can.

The 2 systems will not be compatible except for QS shades.
I "heard " that the pricing will be lower.
So far Ra2 seems to be a very exciting and affordable line, Dimmers at $149.
post #25 of 1261 Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm confused- Are you saying the RR2 and Grafik Eye QS are only compatible in regards to shades? Or can the RR2 controllers control the Grafik EyeQS loads?

Are the RR2 switches also $150?

Thanks,
post #26 of 1261 Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK- I reviewed the press release and RR2 will interface w/ GEQS. But how is this accomplished- hardwire or some kind of interface module.
I'm interested in GEQS because I may need shade control for some clerestory windows- and it may be less expensive to buy this as an integrated solution with lighting control a-la QS.
So I guess the real question is how much is stand-alone slovia control (never mind the shades) and how much is the option on a GS unit?

The idea of starting w/ QS and adding RR2 later may be penny wise and pound foolish given the new cost structure of RR2 and feature overlap. Starting with RR2 may be a better bet and only a few hundred more expensive in the beginning.

Thoughts?
post #27 of 1261 Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, Chicagorep.

Will the new HW platform work with existing HW 4/8 switches/dimmers?

post #28 of 1261 Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
good question, and will it be more of a whole home automation controller similar to an HAI unit or still strictly light control? and, when would you speculate this will be released?

post #29 of 1261 Old 09-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

good question, and will it be more of a whole home automation controller similar to an HAI unit or still strickly light control? and, when would you speculate this will be released?

The new Homeworks QS will be a whole new platform and will NOT be backward compatible as of right now. The new platform will control lighting and HVAC via their new thermostat. They're going to leaving the rest to their partners at AMX and Savant. I heard April of 2010 but I have a feeling it won't be seen until the next Cedia Expo.
post #30 of 1261 Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Robert. Much appreciated.

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page