Overview Help for a Newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. I am new here and I have spent about 30 min using the search to find something like what I am about to ask for, but I have been unsuccessful so far. (the problem might be Pebkac though)

I am new the space and looking for recommendations for a DIY HA solution for HVAC/Lighting/DA/Home Theater/Security - emphasis on lighting.

I am having trouble differentiating between technologies/brands/platforms etc.

Let me give you an example. I saw one of the solutions was Cortexa and I thought another was HAI, but when I read about Cortexa, I see that they are compatible with HAI - Omnistat2 RC2000 - I thought HAI was a brand/product?

The long and short of is I am hoping that someone can point me towards a directory/overview of the space and maybe give me a recommendation on which "system(s)" to use for a newbie with decent computer chops, but hasn't done anything more complex than Wattstopper Miro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 PM

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...howtopic=10140
post #3 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Be prepared to spend several hundreds or thousands of hours researching this stuff.

Good rec, Anthony.

Most of the control systems accomodate most of the lighting technologies (your most important need you say), so that won't be a big problem. However, if you're picky about switches and keypads, you'll have to physically touch each one. Everyone says that Lutron has the best, but I really was not that impressed, when I finally put my hands on them (Lutron automated switches have the same feel as the non-automated ones at HD/Lowes).

When looking at controllers, your first decision will be PC-based software or a dedicated device/component/controller. That google spreadsheet that Anthony linked has a field for 'Controller' accessed at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Great comparison. Once you decide on the platform (hardware vs. software), you'll have about 5 to compare. Spend a few days (or weeks) researching each one.

Then spend a few weeks researching the different subsystems - HVAC, AV, lighting, security, etc.

You mentioned security - Elk and HAI offer alarm controllers that also have HA features (both listed on the spreadsheet). Most DIY people end up with one of those, and then add the PC/software control a year or 2 later when the alarm/HA system becomes too limiting. Security should be rock solid (don't want that crashing at the wrong time), so it's a very good starting platform for HA. Even though lighting is most important to you, the switches (usually) will still operate if the control fails.

If you love to tinker, and want a robust system that is very flexible, go with the Elk M1.

If you want an off the shelf solution for all/most of the subsystems, go with HAI.

I don't know who said it first, but "DIY HA is not for the faint of heart, or faint of wallet".

Edit - if you hadn't mentioned security, I'd have suggested differently.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both!

I know I am in for a long-term commitment, but I guess you have to start somewhere right?

I will check out the suggestions.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

if you hadn't mentioned security, I'd have suggested differently.

Might I ask what you would have recommended instead? Thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Start with the non-security controllers - CQC, HomeSeer, J9, Premise (it's free!), HAI Lumina (HAI without security), MainLobby, etc.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 11 Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help! I am checking them out.

I have to say that the mainlobby seems to be the most compatible with other systems that I might want to integrate.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofan34 View Post

I am new the space and looking for recommendations for a DIY HA solution for HVAC/Lighting/DA/Home Theater/Security - emphasis on lighting.

Is your house new construction or retrofit?

Just as a starting point, I am in the middle of a DIY project in my new construction. We've been in the house for 2 months or so. I chose:

lighting: OnQ ALC (hardwired)
HVAC: Aprilaire
Video: component video distribution, Extron
Audio: Nuvo Grand Concerto and 2 vanilla surround receivers
Security: Elk (which will interface with lighting and HVAC)

CQC: will control and integrate all of the above
post #9 of 11 Old 09-18-2009, 10:15 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The site in my sig has a bunch of stuff.

------------------------------------
I'm onĀ 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a lot moreĀ than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As far as lighting goes, there are three main camps: hardwired, powerline control, and wireless. This refers to the control aspect of the lighting since obviously the 110v lines are all hardwired.

The powerline systems actually piggyback the control signals on the HV lines. So the HV line carries both the regular 110v plus the control signals that they system uses to communicate with all the different switches and dimmers. These systems include X10, PLC, UPB, Insteon (although Insteon uses both powerline and true wirelss), etc. These tend to be the least dependable since you can get noise introduced into the control signal from the HV signal.

A wireless system sends the control information over a wireless signal. Some of the newer systems use either Z-wave or Zigbee (which are two different technologies even if their name sounds the same) as their wireless carrier. The newer wireless techology (like Z-wave and Zigbee)is proving to be pretty dependable but it is still possible to have interference introduced into the system.

Hardwired systems are generally 100% reliable. But they can also be expensive. It can also be harder to retrofit an existing home with a hardwired system. OnQ ALC, Clipsal, Lutron, etc ll make hardwired systems.

In the end, you'll see that each techology has its positives and negatives. So you have to read about them and figure out which system will be best for your situation.

PS - I'll go ahead and give my 2 cents. In a retrofit job, I would seriously look at the Centralite Jetstream lighting system. It is a Zigbee based wireless system that seems to have good reliability. It is an average price (ie not too expensive compared to other technologies) and it is super easy to install and program.

If it is a new construction job, and the budget allows, the hardwired system are going to be the best. But the prices can get very high depending on your needs.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #11 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

The project is a basement build-out. Right now there is basically nothing there. However, I am also thinking about making the lighting, hvac, and DA controllable too, so those would be retrofit.

Cost is A concern, but not the only concern.

I will definitely check out Centralite Jetstream as well as OnQ ALC (hardwired).

the other key component for me is I want to control from my iphone, but as I understand it, I am going to be able to do that as long as I choose compatible devices and the right controller.

Thanks for your input!
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page