Control4 IP issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I have searched this forum and C4forum trying to find an answer but have had no luck. I believe I know what the issue is, but correcting it eludes me.

My set up is very simple, 1 HC-300, 1 Wireless speaker point, & 1 Ethernet Speaker point. I use a Linksys wrt54g2 router. It appears that when the system was set up static IP addresses were not used (guessing here). the system was up and running and when I installed the router, streaming music and all. Next day, get home to play with it and nothing. An IT friend of mine stopped by and (not sure how) he seems to think that the controller has been assigned an IP address of 127.0.0.1 - a "loop address". I am not really sure what a loop address is, or what the consequences are - I am an a/v guy. I have tried connecting to http:// 127.0.0.1 with no luck. I do know, that only the ethernet speaker point shows up on the network. I read in another forum that by pressing & holding the ID button for 30-40 seconds it should reset the network settings/address, but this has not worked. Does anyone have any suggestions or other posts that could lend some help, I would love to be able to solve this on my own without going to a dealer if possible - as I clearly need to find a new dealer.

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

Edit I believe the director Version is 1.3.4xx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can you still see the navigator on TV? Under umm.. i think its settings or something on the navigator.. its on the lower right side... it should show you IP address along with configuration information...
post #3 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Angus. that's a good ?. I am not sure. The GUI is still showing on the TV but it is only the screen saver as I can not activate the HC-300. I will try that when I get home, maybe unplugging the controller will get an active GUI on screen, if I need to navigate to a button in the navigator, I don't think I will be able to that as the remote is not working - assuming due to controller issue. Is there another way to control the navigator without the remote?
post #4 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would try re-booting the controller... hopefully it would all come back up.. otherwise might have to talk to your dealer...

their is no other way to interact with the navigator..

Did your dealer set up your system for remote access? If so any dealer can/could remote it and possibly see whats wrong as long as it has some kind of IP address and comes back online...
post #5 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I tried rebooting, i don't have remote access, and I need a new dealer. just not my weekend.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address, so the problem is definitely related to the router. C4 is network dependent. You'll need someone to log in remotely and reset the network config for your controller after checking the settings on your router to make sure that it's setup right. For what it's worth, the WRT54G isn't really a very good router for the base of a home automation network, but we can probably make it work.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

angus - got home and no gui, so can't tell.

code - I know the linksys isn't great but i have very simple needs - and it was working, at least for one day.

I would tend to agree that it would be a router problem, but my concern is - how to reset the Controller to get it to connect back to the network once that is fixed?

Thanks again for the help. I will post if I can figure something out.
Chris
post #8 of 20 Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.angryip.org/w/Download

Angry IP is a utility that will ping an IP range and report back what it finds. I would give it a try. I always use it to find IP addresses.

The iphone also has the same thing for just a local network, called 'Ping Lite".
post #9 of 20 Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

David - Thanks I will give that a shot tonight when I get home and report back what I find.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedcpa View Post

Hi All,
I have searched this forum and C4forum trying to find an answer but have had no luck. I believe I know what the issue is, but correcting it eludes me.

My set up is very simple, 1 HC-300, 1 Wireless speaker point, & 1 Ethernet Speaker point. I use a Linksys wrt54g2 router. It appears that when the system was set up static IP addresses were not used (guessing here). the system was up and running and when I installed the router, streaming music and all. Next day, get home to play with it and nothing. An IT friend of mine stopped by and (not sure how) he seems to think that the controller has been assigned an IP address of 127.0.0.1 - a "loop address". I am not really sure what a loop address is, or what the consequences are - I am an a/v guy. I have tried connecting to http:// 127.0.0.1 with no luck. I do know, that only the ethernet speaker point shows up on the network. I read in another forum that by pressing & holding the ID button for 30-40 seconds it should reset the network settings/address, but this has not worked. Does anyone have any suggestions or other posts that could lend some help, I would love to be able to solve this on my own without going to a dealer if possible - as I clearly need to find a new dealer.

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

Edit I believe the director Version is 1.3.4xx.

i would first recommend removing the 49 dollar router aka the back bone of your automation system and replace it with a better router that is capable of handling business standard communication protocols.

the controller will retain its own ip address ie 192.168.1.xxx and will always have a loop address when looking at the unit. How are you trying to find the unit? by looking at the dhcp address table in the router??
post #11 of 20 Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 PM

chris email me and i can log in and probably get it back online for you

kevin@black wire designs.com

remove the spaces
post #12 of 20 Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to get the controller to display on screen last night. It was a tv issue not control4. I restarted the unit and while it was loading it displayed the address as 127.0.0.1, it seems to me that some how the unit has been set to a static ip of 127.0.0.1.

Yes I am in the process of getting a new router, I have seen several threads about them here and at c4forums.

I tried the AngryIP last night. the only IP's that it came back with were my PS3 192.168.1.102 my laptop 192.168.1.100 and the ethernet speaker point 192.168.1.106 (i think).

So, is it going to be possible to connect to the unit if the address has been changed to a static address of 127.0.0.1? Again, I - and my ever frustrated wife - thank all for their time. Any other way to reset other than holding the ID button?
post #13 of 20 Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecodeman View Post

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address, so the problem is definitely related to the router. C4 is network dependent. You'll need someone to log in remotely and reset the network config for your controller after checking the settings on your router to make sure that it's setup right. For what it's worth, the WRT54G isn't really a very good router for the base of a home automation network, but we can probably make it work.

Let me clarify this and say that it's not necessarily a "router" problem, but a network config problem. Once you get rocking and rolling you'll want to upgrade the router, for sure. Streaming Rhapsody and/or videos around the house, along with the ip communications and your regular network traffic will bring cheap routers to their knees.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

update - went to a friend's house this weekend, an IT guy. He took apart the hc-300, found the internal "reset" button. IP address still showed 127.0.0.1 when the system loaded (on the gui). he then pulled the battery, unplugged, etc., and tried reset again. still showing up as 127.0.0.1.

Is there any other way to reset the IP settings? I realize that the issue is not a control4 problem but a "router/installer with no knowledge of networks who is not really a dealer" problem.

Once I get it reset I can take up one of the very kind people on this forum to redesign/setup my system. but until it connects to the network I am unsure of how to do that. If this is information that dealers do not want to publish on a forum, I completely understand - I will be contacting at least one of you to help me set this up.

Thanks again for the time!
post #15 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 AM

well i guess DONT email the control4 dealer who was offering you help.........

did you go to info then network and check what settings were there?
post #16 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Audio - you were one of the two that I referenced about helping me out. Thecodeman has also been gracious enough to offer help.

Email sent.

As for checking info, do you mean through navigator? if so, impossible, I have no way of controlling the unit. the remote is no longer connecting to it.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Get a much better router, plain and simple, that linksys is a pile of junk.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

problem solved. properly reset the unit and the IP address was released and reset. To be clear, this was NOT a C4 issue, but the person doing the install issue. It appears to be running fine on the same router, but will change it out in the near future. I haven't had a chance to really see if the design is set up properly will hopefully have a chance to do that later.
Thanks to audio and code for the help.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-08-2009, 06:12 AM

No problem, glad you got it working.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I understand this is an old thread but I am having the same issue and wanted to know what you ended up doing to reset the IP address???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedcpa View Post

problem solved. properly reset the unit and the IP address was released and reset. To be clear, this was NOT a C4 issue, but the person doing the install issue. It appears to be running fine on the same router, but will change it out in the near future. I haven't had a chance to really see if the design is set up properly will hopefully have a chance to do that later.
Thanks to audio and code for the help.

"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as if everything is." Einstein

Now Format Neutral

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page