Help with an AMX Landmark System - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
David .. I had two customers that had a landmark system and paid a lot of coin for them and tried to hang on to that investment. Both have made switches in other directions and are both happy they scraped that system off their shoe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM

My house is still running on an almost 10 year old install, but in reviewing this thread I realize I may be running on borrowed time ... Certainly it seems it is time to remove the single point of failure with the old laptop that I use to program the system.

I'm not a PC guy (mostly Mac) so I'd appreciate some basic pointers ...

- I'd like to move the Designer software and Projects onto a virtual PC machine on my Mac. What software do I need to use to create a bootable image that I can feed into Parallels on the Mac? (I'm familiar with "masters" and .cdr and Mac Disk Utility ... I assume there is a similar program on the PC, right?)

- Would I need to "reinstall from distribution" the Designer software? If so, I would appreciate a PM from anyone that could clone me a set of disks.

And on a non-PC question ...

- My MCU clock seems to lose track of time, most obviously when my sunset-programmed porch light comes on 3 hours before sundown. I thought it was reset anytime that I connected the laptop with the correct time to the network and the controller. Is there something specific to do? Download to the MCU?

Thanks for any advice!

-ez
post #63 of 66 Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM

I had this very same issue connecting to the MCU. I have an AMX Landmark system in place that has the programming running on the MCU, so I don't have a connected PC full time. I have the Landmark Designer files in a safe place and over time I have gone through several laptops. I recently decided to make a change, and found that I could not get my laptop to connect to the MCU in my CF2 cardframe. I figured out how to get it to work, so hopefully this helps others.

1. You need a PC with Windows XP installed. It can be updated to the latest service pack (SP3) and internet explorer.
2. You need Landmark Designer installed.
3. You need to have the following setup in your Network Connections:
- Open Network Connections and select your Local Area Network Connection
- If you don't see the NWLink protocols in the list do the following...
- Click Install
- Select Protocol and click ADD
- Select NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS and click OK
- The following will appear in the list and must be checked...
- NWLink NetBIOS + NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS
- Some posts have indicated that you need to change the Auto Detect option on the IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocol to 802.2, but I did not need to.
- Just to be safe I clicked the TCP/IP protocal, clicked the Advanced button, went to the WINS tab and set teh NetBIOS option to Default
- Click OK, OK, Then reboot

4. To enable communications between the PC and the MCU, you need to make sure the Firewall does not interfere. In Control Panel, open Windows Firewall, and click Add Program to add Landmark Designer to the Exceptions list. Then Reboot again. Windows doesn't force this, but I found that a reboot made the difference.

3. You need the MCU connected to a network via an ethernet cable. Plug the ethernet cable into the 10 Base T jack on the MCU card, and the other end into a switch. Some on this post mentioned a direct cable from the MCU to the laptop, using a cross over cable, but I didn't have one and did not try. If you don't have a switch, a hub might work. I tried plugging into my Apple Extreme router without luck... I think you need a good old fashioned switch. I was successful with both my Netgear FS105 10/100 switch and my Leviton 10/100 4 port internet gateway which includes a router so that Windows believed it was connected to something. Plug your PC into it as well.

4. Start up Landmark Designer and click Design > Equipment and see if you are getting send AND receive packets on the MCU card. If not... see the other posts on tricks to try like moving the card around, and spec-ing a new card... but in general, you will get flashing green lights if all is well. In my case... I got Sent, but no Received.

5. Taking a clue from another post that the ethernet chipsets in newer laptops may be the issue, I purchased a Belkin 10/100 USB Ethernet adapter model F5D5050 (You can find these on eBay). This is about as generic of an ethernet adapter as you will find and it just plugs into an open USB port. Plug it into your laptop and let Windows search Windows Update to find a driver, and it will install quickly. Use this to connect to the switch, and I was in business.

6. All the lights should light up in Landmark Designer. I think the software and hardware are still worth maintaining after all these years. For straight forward RS232 and IR control, it works great.

Hope that helps!
post #64 of 66 Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM

The PC I was using to run my hardware went out... Can I get Landmark Designer 4.1.0.3 software from one of you guys that still have it? The hardware is still in good shape and I don't want to start over. AMX will not let me get the software from the archive files because I am not a dealer. They would rather have me trash the whole system... That really sucks!!! Customer no service at it's best. I would really appreciate any help.
post #65 of 66 Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 AM

Good luck on asking AMX for anything. Just like Crestor and the "other" home automation providers, it is their expectation that you go through their MLM (Like AMWAY or Herbalife...) rather than actually sell to the public.

I have been struggling with this software for about 5 years now trying to get it to work on another operating system (and I have a very deep knowledge of OS, programming, systems, etc...) without any success. AMX tried to send me to someone who had put up a website and paid them a license fee rather than work with me.

I've been able to keep my system hobbling along up until this year (yep - 11 years past EOL....) and now the PHAST system has died. I am now trying to determine how to use the current infrastructure and just replace both the software and the PHAST controller. If ANYONE has any ideas - I'm pretty sure that half of the home automation owners (DIY) would beat a path (and dollars) to your door!

-Frustrated AMX owner....
post #66 of 66 Old 10-22-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
You should try calling Apple about firmware on the iPod Touch 2... Or ask Windows about Win95 support...

In all fairness, many companies won't talk to end users and expect them to go through certified dealers, and certainly not all dealers are up to the same level as others. Most have no interest in spending dozens (or hundreds) of hours of their time on product which is no longer manufacturer supported as there may well be newer options which are far better for less money.

This is common across home automation companies as it is common across many other industries as well, but there are open source alternatives for those who are determined to do their own systems and have the time to do so. It just is a different product than what AMX, Crestron, Extron, and a long list of others deals with.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page