New House: Options, options... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To the OP-

It's good to be thinking ahead and all, but infrastructure is where your head should be for the moment. If you plan to live in your townhome for a while, do your very best now to prepare for 10 years from now. Run lots of cable, fiber, conduit, etc. It's good to start wrapping your head around hardware now. But remember that a new feature rich & cost effective system could be realesed by the time you move in.

All that said. If you had to buy the system today, I'd heavily recommend Crestron's Prodigy line. I've programmed a few systems to date (in Simpl Windows). They work fantastic, and carry Crestron's reliability and robustness. I'd imagine it'd fit nicely in your budget. It's in the same price range as C4.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Whether you can control that 'LED light strip' will be determined mostly by the lights, and not the controller.

What brand and model of lights?

Wire for more than 1 touchscreen, but only get 1 for now. Futureproof where you can.

Retrofit lighting with Lutron Ra2 will be easy but expensive. You may want to consider running cables to the lights during construction, for a less expensive system. Hardwired is generally cheaper than wireless. Ask the integrators which budget hardwired systems they use. And, you certainly don't need all switches/dimmers automated. If you decide to retrofit Ra2, involve the integrator to make sure the electrician is aware.

There are cheaper options to Lutron shades, and they made need different cables for control. Find an integrator who is good at listening to your needs.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #33 of 48 Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM

I generally run 3-4 cat5e or cat6 to each display location:

1 for component video
1 in case I do HDMI (using the above as well)
1 for IR, audio, etc.
1 for network (if I think it will be used)

If I'm doing Control4 then I don't have to use the 1 for IR but will need it for network.

This is for distributed video. If I think it is going to be a more traditional setup then I also have to have 1-2 coax for cable/satellite

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #34 of 48 Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips. I am currently reading the Cocoontech guide to wiring to understand it a bit more.

I have also done a very rough schematic of what I would like the system to look like. Not all of this will be done initially. HDMI Matrix, Home Server, Multiple TV's, 5.1 Speakers, Amp will be added on later; I included them on the schematic to make wiring future proof.

I will be taking these schematics to my local Crestron Prodigy, Control4 and HAI dealers to get a rough cost estimate. Even though the focus of the schematics is HAI, I think it should communicate to other dealers what I am trying to do and the work involved.

Once I get the cost estimate, I will compare Prodigy vs. Control4 vs. HAI and make my decision. I know Control4 and Prodigy will likely cost more, the questions is how much and if the delta is worth it to me.

Please let me know if I have made some glaring errors in the schematics or in my approach to making a decision.

Attachment 162157

Attachment 162158
LL
LL
post #35 of 48 Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Are you sharing a single DVR between 4 TVs? How would you resolve conflicts over use of it? An HDMI matrix solves the video routing but not source conflict. You will likely need 4 DVRs with one allocated to each person and the matrix routing it to whatever TV they may be wanting to watch.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #36 of 48 Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Initially we will have only two TV's, one in LR and the other in the master bedroom. U-Verse DVR has two tuners so it should be enough for now. And you are right, I will have to add more later.

Good catch though
post #37 of 48 Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AL View Post

Chicagorep,

Haven't heard much of NetStream. Can it do all the same functions as Control4 or HAI? Are they a reliable company?

Very reliable, they have been around much longer then C4 and probably HAI too. They can do anything any other control company can do including Crestron and AMX. Their communication protocol is IP, everything including Audio and Video distribution passes over Cat5. There is no central processor, every device is a node on the system. They don't have lighting control but they are partners with all the major players out there.
post #38 of 48 Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

Very reliable, they have been around much longer then C4 and probably HAI too.

@Chicagorep,

First, HAI has been around since 1985. Before you start posting random assumptions about facts that you don't know, please look them up. At this point, how can anyone read your postings and trust what you say?
post #39 of 48 Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogereater View Post

@Chicagorep,

First, HAI has been around since 1985. Before you start posting random assumptions about facts that you don't know, please look them up. At this point, how can anyone read your postings and trust what you say?

Well that's why I said probably, because I wasn't sure and really didn't feel like researching a company I have no interest in. As far as people trusting what I say, I give sound advice based on my many years of experience as an Electrician, Custom integrator and AV Sales rep. It's the individuals choice on whether or not they take my advice. If you care not to take my advice that's your choice. Wait....why am I defending myself to someone that decided to attack me after their 4th post and who calls himself Boogereater!!
post #40 of 48 Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM

Chicagorep -

Thanks for the information, I have contacted a company in Houston that sells NetStreams and will meet with them hopefully next week or so to get more details on this.

tiger1234 -

I went by a Control4 dealer in the 1960 area and I was pretty impressed with the way it all works. I am almost sold on the Control4 system, except I want to get information and bids from HAI and NetStreams. It has everything I have been looking for and more. The sales associate was very helpful and knowledgable about the system as well.
Lastly, tiger1234 where are you buying your plumbing products (sinks, faucets, shower systems etc...) from in Houston?

Everyone have a Happy New Year!
post #41 of 48 Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AL View Post

Chicagorep -

Thanks for the information, I have contacted a company in Houston that sells NetStreams and will meet with them hopefully next week or so to get more details on this.

tiger1234 -

I went by a Control4 dealer in the 1960 area and I was pretty impressed with the way it all works. I am almost sold on the Control4 system, except I want to get information and bids from HAI and NetStreams. It has everything I have been looking for and more. The sales associate was very helpful and knowledgable about the system as well.
Lastly, tiger1234 where are you buying your plumbing products (sinks, faucets, shower systems etc...) from in Houston?

Everyone have a Happy New Year!

M3AL, I am not buying any plumbing products myself; the builder is buying them.
post #42 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Note: Post edited by mod to remove quote of unnecessary attack on Robert. David Haddad

I'd like to apologize to the Home Automation community for providing misinformation by using the word "probably" instead of doing intensive internet research to find the correct date HAI was founded. I know this lack of information probably caused undo pain and suffering in your search for the perfect automation system.
I'd like to apologize to Mr. Boogereater for making fun of his name and not taking his nick name seriously. And I'd like to thank Mr Boogereater for Googleing HAI and finding they correct date the were founded and so politely pointing that out to me.
post #43 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM

post #44 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM

Liked: 16
Minor thread clean-up performed. Personal attacks will not be allowed.
post #45 of 48 Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 AM

tiger1234 - Did you decide which company you are going with for your Home Automation?
post #46 of 48 Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Netsteams is a pretty robust system. I would stick with radio RA2 for lighting, much easier to deal with especially for what you intend to do with shades.

And in answer to your email, yes RTI can control pretty much any of this stuff, and it will give you two way feed back for most of what you want to do as well. Further, there are RTI options that will fit in your budget. Control 4 has some cool options in your price range, but they don't have any real remote controls worth mentioning for there system which is why I don't mess with that line. What good is fancy touch panels if you don't have a decent hand held remotes when you just want to sit and watch TV?

Your 4X4 HDMI matrix is way to limited on the input side, you should go with 6 inputs minimum 8 preferably, they will come in handy latter when you finally get to using this thing.

I can get into a whole bunch more but I am not sure if this thread is still active?

David
Sound and Theater
post #47 of 48 Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Liked: 20
i would like to thank everyone in this thread i found alot of good information am looking 4

and i love to know which system did tiger1234 choice

Living Room : Samsung UN65F8000 - PS3 - WD LIVE- Emtovia in-ceiling Speakers - SONOS CONNECT:AMP

HT :Sony HW55ES - Elite Screen 150" - Pioneer VSX-1120-K-Emotiva XPA-5 - PS4 - Med600X3D - Emtovia in-ceiling Speakers
RF-7 II Floorstanding
RC-64 II Center Channel
RS-62 II Surround
SW-115 Subwoofer
post #48 of 48 Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1234 View Post

@Chicagorep, thanks for the reply. That does seem like a good option. However, this is the first time I am hearing of Netstreams Quartet? Are they a repurable company? How do they compare to HAI HiFi or Russound?

Also, what is the very rough price range for Lutron Sivioa QS shades for a 48 sq ft window if you happen to know? We have two 48 sq ft windows and a few 36 sq ft ones. I haven't seen any sort of representative pricing anywhere.

Lastly, if anybody can answer this, is Control4 in our price range?

Proficient makes a decent budget programmable 4 zone audio controller (Proficient M4). 8 channels @ 30W channel. Includes 4 keypads with IR sensor (which is sent back to the M4 and the M4 has IR repeaters which you can use to control equipment around it). So you can control that zone either with the customizable buttons on the keypad (they give you a bag of them per keypad) or with a remote control pointed at the keypad.

Each zone can listen to any connected source independently of the other zones. cost < $1000

They also make the M6 six zone controller which has two built in am/fm tuners, six keypads, w/ 12 channels @ 30w each. cost < $1400

They are both rack mountable so you can squirell them away in an equipment rack in a mechanical room.'

Not on par with some of the other systems here but they have a niche that they fill nicely with their equipment.

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified
www.jag-es.com
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page