Originally Posted by crosen
Actually, using a 3 or 6 button keypad is not a substitute for purchasing a lighting dimmer. You still need at least one $129 dimmer per lighting load. This is because the 3 or 6 button keypads do not actually have the ability to change the level of current that passes through to a light. All they can do is send commands to the C4 controller, which in turn can cause a lighting dimmer to change lighting levels (or send many other types of commands that can turn on/off multiple light switches/dimemrs, control AV equip, thermostats, shades, etc.)
Also, I'm not certain what is included in the programming, but $130 to program a light in C4 sounds quite high to me. The programming cost should be considered in the context of the overall project (i.e. installation and programming of all devices - not just lights.) How many lights are you intended to control? You also need a C4 controller in the project, which can control your A/V equipment. Have you discussed costs and programming for that?
I suggest you have a detailed discussion with your dealer to discuss all this in greater detail to make sure expectations are properly set between you.
Well I haven't received a full quote from the first company. He says he won't have it for me till next week. I am getting two other bids from other companies as well so I will be able to compare the packages.
- The total amount of lights being controlled are about 40 and some of them have 3-way switches on them. And total switches (individual) needed are 60 and I just figured when he told me $130 per light switch programming was really high.
-He is going to quote the HC-500 Controller.
The things he said he will include in the bid:
- 60 Light Switches
- 1 HC-500
- 3 7" touchpanels
- 16 Channel Amp Control4
- Speaker install for entire house (about 46 speakers total)
- 4 Denon Receivers (for surround sound rooms)
- Video Matrix Switch (HDMI)
- 4 Control4 remotes
- Pre-wire the house for network, alarm, tv's, phone lines, etc..
- Programming and Install of Control4
I think that's about it. Gotta wait another week before getting a bid though (kinda sucks).