Door lock - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just got my house, it a old one that I want to upgrade with some home automation in the futures(door lock/light/camera/home theater).

I have been doing some research on the subjet and I'm totaly overwhelm by the quantity of information.

So for my question, I want to get a new door lock that I'll be able to open the door without key(keypad or RF). I want to be able to use it with my IPhone in the future. Since I don't know what kind of technologie I want for home automation, is there a good door lock that is compatible with all the technologie?

Thank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM

I just installed the schlage link system. You can have door locks, lights, cameras, and thermostats hooked up to it. Not sure about home theater. The system works on z-wave. The door locks have a keypad and you can open using an iphone. It seems pretty good so far but I'm not an expert in this field, only in the computer world... http://link.schlage.com/Pages/home.aspx
post #3 of 21 Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 AM

now can you use Schlage Ilink z-wave components without their monthly fee? Can I just add a Schlage door lock to an existing z-wave network and use it?

Timm
post #4 of 21 Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM

Liked: 11
homeseer supports schlage with out the service.... so does micasaverde
post #5 of 21 Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM

While I have heard of other home control systems on the Z-wave network that can control the Schlage LiNK, I have seen more people have to fiddle with them to make it work. For instance, since you have to add an extra piece that must work with Schlage LiNK it makes the process more complicated especially since LiNK isn't built to be compatible with it.

Anyways, I just found out that Schlage LiNK changed its monthly fee from $12.99 to $8.99 plus 2 months free trial for new customers. It looks like Schlage is truly committed to hearing customer feedback and making significantly improvements to the LiNK product, starting with the decreased monthly fee. From what I have hear there will be no change in the level of service customers have come to expect with Schlage LiNK. This means the app that turns your lights on is more affordable than ever, this is the perfect opportunity to try the Schlage LiNK system.

So, why would you want to go through the fuss of figuring out a system that takes away a monthly fee that helps with customer service if it ever breaks down? I know Schlage will continue to deliver improvements and benefits based on your and my feedback.

Let me know if you have any question about the new subscription fee or any other Schlage product as I do work with Schlage, I just thought you might like the update.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

cormacnel
The whole monthly fee is WAY over priced IMO. I'm a CI and programmer by day. I don't see trying to push this to customers until it is a one time fee or something. A one time of $150 should be about right, more than that an too many people are taking a cut along the way. If customer support costs that much than a redeisgn of the product or instructions might be called for.
I have also voiced the same at trade shows. Most people want a fixed cost not a 'usage' fee on items like this. So if you want to break into more of the market keep listening and taking action.
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormacnel View Post

While I have heard of other home control systems on the Z-wave network that can control the Schlage LiNK, I have seen more people have to fiddle with them to make it work. For instance, since you have to add an extra piece that must work with Schlage LiNK it makes the process more complicated especially since LiNK isn't built to be compatible with it.

Anyways, I just found out that Schlage LiNK changed its monthly fee from $12.99 to $8.99 plus 2 months free trial for new customers. It looks like Schlage is truly committed to hearing customer feedback and making significantly improvements to the LiNK product, starting with the decreased monthly fee. From what I have hear there will be no change in the level of service customers have come to expect with Schlage LiNK. This means the app that turns your lights on is more affordable than ever, this is the perfect opportunity to try the Schlage LiNK system.

So, why would you want to go through the fuss of figuring out a system that takes away a monthly fee that helps with customer service if it ever breaks down? I know Schlage will continue to deliver improvements and benefits based on your and my feedback.

Let me know if you have any question about the new subscription fee or any other Schlage product as I do work with Schlage, I just thought you might like the update.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 PM

I have an HAI OmniPro II. I put a magnetic door release on my door and use the HAI Outdoor Keypad at my door. WHen a code is entered, my security system is turned off, the door release mechanism is turned on for two seconds and I enter and shut the door and I am in with various things around the house set for my arrival depending on time of day etc., lights, temp, fans, music....etc.

I have been looking to the the Schlage and Kwikset options as I want to put access control on another door. I did pull a wire (retrofit and 1958 home) to put a magnetic lock on the door but I have to hire someone to put the release in. Not about to pay a monthly fee for their keyless entry so I will find someone to put in another mag lock.

Incidently, not only can I control my home on my iPhone but I can open the door for someone if needed from anywhere. Made a button for when I come home with groceries, I can hit the button on my iPhone software as I am coming down my street and walk in the door with all the groceries in hand!

FYI
post #8 of 21 Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Problem with Z-wave is the more devices you have the weaker the signal. Also its RF and doesn't have very far distances. My door lock plan is to use RFID door entrys and keyfobs. Something like the HID prox sensors http://www.hidglobal.com/technology....1&subcat_id=10

they're about $100 per sensor and $5 per keyfob. Then use $20-$30 electric door strikes. so when someone uses the RFID it will unlock the door strike. they use these in commercial buildings without problems. Only thing is it needs a "server" to hold all the information. I use girder for my automation stuff and my insteon light switches, girder works with RFID i believe. Plan is to put the door strike where the deadbolt is so basically the deadbolt is always extended then the doorstrike locks. Incase of power outage I can just use the deadbolt key that i'll keep in my car or whatever.

Using this system I'll be able to have it do other things like email me when my daughter comes home from school, turn on lights only when dark when someone unlocks the door, unlock the office door when my keycard opens the front door but leave it locked for everyone else.

Girder has a webserver builtin and you can program it so you can hop on your website you built and be able to do whatever you'd like to do. they also have a program called netremote which is just like the webserver just a little easier to program, but is only for windows devices. I use netremote and can click play and it will turn on my projector, put screen down, turn on reciever, change source to whatever, turn off all other lights, dim home theatre lights to 20%. When I hit pause it can dim lights to 60%, then stop turns it to 100% and the hallway lights on.

the Schlagelink doesn't lock the door remotely does it? I thought it can only tell you if it's locked/unlocked? the kwikset lock has power lock/unlock but i'm told the door has to be perfect fit or else it will hit the door frame and not lock.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Schalge Link Z-Wave Locks or Kwiksets Z-Wave Locks are the way to go. There aren't any limitations with Z-Wave as you describe. It works better the more devices you have, as far as coverage goes. You may experience a bit of latency if you have a huge number of devices, but overall it is very quick and reliable.

I have been using MiCasaVerde's Vera with the Schlage Deadbolt and I have been very happy with no monthly fees. If you are a complete layman without any level of patience then I recommend getting the Schlage Link Bridge and paying the fees, but if you can set a digital timer then you can handle Vera. Once you understand the basics of Z-Wave inclusion of devices, it is similar no matter what system you use.

Also there are deal like at ASIHome for getting a Lock/Vera combo and saving some money. Right now I prefer the Schlage Deadbolt, which only remotely locks in lever version, but unlock remotely in both DB and Lever.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

The lever version doesn't seem secure enough to protect my house as it's not a deadbolt and any credit card could easily unlock the door. The deadbolt doesn't remotely lock. Isn't this the main reason to buy a HA lock system? i'd want to be able to push 1 button at bedtime and have everything turn off and the doors lock. I doubt i'll ever want to remotely unlock a door.

I'm looking through the installation manual and it gives you the codes. Can you even change the codes on these deadbolts??
post #11 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 AM

That was my original way of thinking too, but unfortunately I had to wait almost two years before Kwikset came out with motorized Z-Wave version of the deadbolt. So I ended up buying the Schlage and after living with it I realize that remote unlocking and locking sounds great on paper, but it is rarely used in my case. The main purpose of these locks when you get down to it is keyless entry (very handy) and being able to monitor status. How often have I ever left my front door unlocked, never, but how often have I thought I maybe left it unlocked, all the time.

You could be in your bed and hit the "goodnight" button, then all lights go off and door lock, but you don't really know if the door locked unless you have a camera or other sensor on it to make sure it is closed first (door could be wide open, with deadbolt out), so remote locking has its issues. Also the Schlage's batteries last longer as a result and I believe would be harder to pick the lock because of its design. There are youtube videos of guys picking the Kwikset Smartkey locks.

I do like the look of the Kwikset though, because it looks more like a normal lock, but the Schlage has been reliable and does what it needs to do and its still on it's original set of batteries almost a year later.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

So how long on average do the batteries last? Also if they do run out you can't get in your house unless you use a key? Can you change the codes on these locks? It'd be nice to be able to if a friend comes over and you're still at the store getting stuff, you can give them the code then change it later that night. Also, is it faster to enter the code or just use a key?

I'm planning the RFID because I can easily move my body close to the RFID reader and it'll unlock when my hands are full with groceries or a sleeping child. Also the RFID readers use standard weigand system and many have keypads that'll allow for entry if your our jogging or forgot your key.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM

I believe the batteries should last about a year with average use. Yes you can add and delete codes and, through Vera, schedule codes to only work for certain days/times. I think the RFID idea is great. Someone over at the MiCasaVerde Forums is currently doing RFID with Vera.

Punching in the code is really quick and easy and is much better than a key. I can usually input the code and turn the lock with my finger when the hands are full, but there are times when hands are really full that you end up kicking the door for someone to come help. Even if the deadbolt unlocked via RFID, I'd still need a hand free to open the lever/knob but that can be done with a foot or thumb, lol.

I was in Hawaii and needed to let someone in to my home to water plants and I was able to give them their own code remotely and delete it when I got back. It was handy in that case. I think I want to add RFID to my system and I'll probably do something for the door with it.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post

. . . Then use $20-$30 electric door strikes. . . Plan is to put the door strike where the deadbolt is so basically the deadbolt is always extended then the doorstrike locks.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to find a $20-$30 electric strike that will let will allow a tubular deadbolt to lock back.

- Brian
post #15 of 21 Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:

The lever version doesn't seem secure enough to protect my house as it's not a deadbolt and any credit card could easily unlock the door.

How is this? Please explain.

If someone can unlock your entry door with a credit card, it tells me two things: your door opens the wrong way (out instead of in) and you don't have your strike set up properly.

- Brian
post #16 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsu1995 View Post

How is this? Please explain.

If someone can unlock your entry door with a credit card, it tells me two things: your door opens the wrong way (out instead of in) and you don't have your strike set up properly.

the qwikset lever locks are not deadbolts and are very easy to pick with a simple credit card. http://www.kwikset.com/smartseries/smartcodelever.aspx

a couple videos on credit cards to unlock lever locks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h62f84fL3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYY57wNIJe0

Most entry doors are a bit harder but theres a reason all entry doors have deadbolts.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsu1995 View Post

I'm not sure that you'll be able to find a $20-$30 electric strike that will let will allow a tubular deadbolt to lock back.

Wouldn't a standard electric door strike work fine? I just purchased all new deadbolts with this intention.

$23.92 http://www.smarthome.com/5190/Electr...VAC-220/p.aspx

$25.36 http://www.smarthome.com/5192/Electr...se-Type/p.aspx

29.96 http://www.smarthome.com/519012/Elec...-220-12/p.aspx

$45.89 this is specifially designed for schlage locks http://www.smarthome.com/5190S12/Ele...-5-S-12/p.aspx
post #18 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:

the qwikset lever locks are not deadbolts and are very easy to pick with a simple credit card.

a couple videos on credit cards to unlock lever locks.

Most entry doors are a bit harder but theres a reason all entry doors have deadbolts.

In both of those videos you posted, the person is breaking into an interior door with only a privacy type door lock. These types of locks lack an important feature; and that is the presence of a secondary bolt adjacent to the main latch. When adjusted correctly, the secondary latch should stay retracted when the door is fully closed and secured. The internal mechanism keeps the main latch from being pushed back in by any means -- including a credit card. Go ahead and test it out: open one of your entry doors and push in only on the small bolt next to your main latch. Now, try to push in the main latch and you will see that it won't go in.

An entry type door lock (like the Kwikset link you posted), has this secondary bolt and will prevent anyone from being able to open the door with a credit card so long as the strike plate is adjusted correctly and keeps the second bolt retracted while the door is secure. Also, most entry doors fit a lot tighter than interior doors and sliding a credit card into the jam as shown in those videos is extremely difficult.

All this being said, your worry about the Kwikset lock not seeming secure enough to protect your house because you can open them with a credit card is unfounded and far from the truth.

- Brian
post #19 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't a standard electric door strike work fine? I just purchased all new deadbolts with this intention.

Nope.

First, you will need an electric strike that is deep enough to accept your fully extended dead bolt - usually at least a full inch. Then, you will need a strike that has a mechanism that allows the deadbolt to seat itself back into the strike.

If you use a standard electric strike (like the ones in the links you posted) you can only use bolts with a ramped edge (typical of an entry door lock). The problem with a deadbolt is that after the door is opened remotely, there is no way to get the bolt back into the strike unless you somehow keep the strike energized until the door is back in the closed position. Although this is possible electrically with the addition of a DPS and some trick wiring; it adds another device, more complexity, and of course, more expense.

The way to go is to buy from a company that sells electric strikes specifically for use with dead bolts. These special strikes have adapters available that allow the keeper to remain held open mechanically until the deadbolt latch returns at which point the strike re-secures. However, I have yet to find any cheap electric strikes that have this feature. If you come across any, be sure to post them up here I'd like to know myself.

As an example, here is a link to the HES 1006 series electric strike.

http://www.folgeradamedc.com/Other/H...20Overview.pdf

If you look on page 5 (page 3 of the pdf), you'll see option E' that holds the latch back for a deadbolt -- I'm assuming this is what you are trying to achieve.

These are extremely nice strikes, but they also sell for quite a bit more than what you were looking at on the SmartHome website. A quick search shows the best price being around $200... and that's not including the option required for use with a deadbolt.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CD0QrQQwAg

- Brian
post #20 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

I'm planning on keeping the doors strikes unlocked all the time unless i'm sleeping or out, then they'll be locked. I'll then send a command from my girder server to have it lock at night and "away" mode, then unlock when in "home" mode.

My baldwin deadbolts are adjustable anywhere from barely touching the doorjam to about 1"
post #21 of 21 Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 AM

How about http://www.trineonline.com/en_lb.php does this lock properly? And it has a sensor too??? Please advice
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page