what are your favorite (and least-favorite) z-wave dimmers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting from scratch, using z-wave.

For those with first-hand experience, what mid-priced (or, preferably cheaper) dimmers do you like best, and why?

Which ones should I steer clear of, and why?

Important aspects to me include:
- three-way dimming
- reliability/performance for no more than 17' separation between nodes and 10+ nodes
- 2-way communication
- user interface
Note: I pulled a neutral to each switch location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
from a physical standpoint they are all less than the average decora light switch IMO. this is the main gripe i have had with z-wave for the years i have been using it. not sure if it is patent/licensing issues or what but i haven't found one i like yet especially for dimmers. most are toggles instead of rockers which is a pita IMO. the cheaper dimmers do not have a separate control for dimming. it is basically hold down the switch and let go when you are done dimming which is never quite right. you have to learn to try to time it which is a horrible experience. look for dimmers with separate dim controls on the side.

from functionality point of view look for ones that can do associations so you can natively support scenes/logical 3way otherwise you will have to simulate with some software solution.

17' between each node should be fine.

all z-wave handle 2way communication. that is the main selling point of it. just make sure you software handles it also via true 2-way or polling at the very least.

user interface? not sure what you are asking here from a user interface on a light switch. if you mean the physical design of the switch see my comments above.

most people wind up using the leviton vizia rf for lighting in zwave although i don't like the physical design myself as stated previously.

here is a good place to start researching z-wave products:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Wave-C52.aspx

and zwave forum here

http://www.zwaveworld.com/forum/

Robert Conlin
post #3 of 3 Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Robert,

Thanks for the insight, especially regarding the separate dimming features and associations. I've used some dimmer switches like you mention, and agree they're horrid to use.

Avery
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page