Any Elan G! Users or Installs? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 132 Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To determine the minimum folders/files that Elan needs I changed the setting in iTunes to store the media files in \\NAS1\iTunes rather then in \\NAS1\iTunes\iTunes Media - that latter format (iTunes\iTunes Media) was what existed on the PC - the result of doing a default install of iTunes I suppose.

When I changed the setting in iTunes it asked if I wanted to reorganize the music files - I answered yes and the result was the folder for the name of the artist now existed directly under \\NAS1\iTunes.

iTunes also created (under \\NAS1\iTunes) a file ".iTunes Preferences.plist" and a folder "Automatically Add to iTunes".

At that point I deleted all the other misc non-music files that existed in the folder \\NAS1\iTunes AND then copied the newly updated "iTunes Music Library.xml" file from the PC to \\NAS1\iTunes.

I deleted the existing content settings in Elan and created a new one for \\NAS1\iTunes but now both entries were the same (\\NAS1\iTunes).

I fired up the Elan client and everything still worked.

So it seems that all Elan needs are the music files and the XML file PLUS the album artwork file (named folder.jpg) in each album folder.

The integration notes say the Elan will search for missing album art - I need to verify this. Creating the "folder.jpg" file works but I would like to find a way to automate the creation of those files - that's for another day.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

To update this, I opened a ticket with Elan early last week, tech support worked on it for two days and have escalated to engineering. So frustrating, that this doesn't work.

post #123 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 AM

One thought I had, that they shot down.. FCWILT, do you have a pro media tab enabled?

post #124 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamill111 View Post

One thought I had, that they shot down.. FCWILT, do you have a pro media tab enabled?

Yes I do.

I also updated my system (and HC4) to the latest version 6.5 Build 221.0 Rel - it still works fine.

Tell me again what the symptoms are - perhaps a rehash will reveal something - I'm thinking NAS permissions at this point.

post #125 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 AM

It loads the  music playlists etc, but when playing it bounces down the list of songs, not playing.

post #126 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi,

OK that was what I saw when the content entry in the HC4 (for the music files not the XML file) was wrong.

So some questions:

What type of hardware are you trying to connect to?
What is its name on the network?
What are the share names?
What are the permissions for the share?

Can you see the device in Windows Network "Explorer"?
Can you see the files in Windows?

post #127 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 PM

What type of hardware are you trying to connect to? WD Mybook live 

What is its name on the network? \\MYBOOKLIVE\iTunes

What are the share names? iTunes

What are the permissions for the share? Public, No authentication 

Can you see the device in Windows Network "Explorer"?  Yes

Can you see the files in Windows? Yes

post #128 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Something to note... I just upgraded to 6.5, now it shows an item count of 4000 songs, but does not show any in the viewer, It does show the playlist...

post #129 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamill111 View Post

What type of hardware are you trying to connect to? WD Mybook live 
What is its name on the network? [URL=]\\MYBOOKLIVE\iTunes[/URL]
What are the share names? iTunes
What are the permissions for the share? Public, No authentication 
Can you see the device in Windows Network "Explorer"?  Yes
Can you see the files in Windows? Yes

Thanks!

The content entry you setup in Elan pointed to the "media" folder under the iTunes folder - not to the iTunes folder itself?

Now I have not used a WD MyBook so I don't know how it handles permissions but in Windows, for instance, the share has separate permission settings from the folders and files within the share. It's possible to have access to the share but not to contents of the share. Perhaps that may be true of this device as well.

Also Elan has to have read/write access to the share (and folders) since it attempts to write a "metadata" file or two.

Have you tried setting up a content entry in Elan that points to some MP3 files in a folder on this unit - skipping the "iTunes" mode for the moment?

Have you tired setting up a content entry in Elan that points to some "picture" files in a folder on this unit - and tried to view them with the Elan photo viewer?

post #130 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

OK I downloaded the manual for that WD unit.

It seems to be really limited in what settings you have access to. I saw information on private and public shares but nothing on the type of access (read/write vs read-only, permissions, etc).

But since you are seeing in Elan the song list it would seem you have access to the XML file.

And iTunes plays these songs fine?

Can you post that file and lets check the path(s) to the songs?

Thanks!

post #131 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM

From everything I can see it has full access, if I don't give it the xml file, everything plays fine. Also, I have tried this with iTunes on an XP machine and iTunes on a vista machine both at the customers site and in my house. Same result. I also, tried a 30day trial of the pro license for media, same result. XML file for my home setup.

Also, note, my home setup is \\mybooklive\public\itunes

Snippet of iTunes xml, my file is too large to upload

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>Major Version</key><integer>1</integer> <key>Minor Version</key><integer>1</integer> <key>Date</key><date>2014-01-14T12:49:06Z</date> <key>Application Version</key><string>11.0.4</string> <key>Features</key><integer>5</integer> <key>Show Content Ratings</key><true/> <key>Music Folder</key><string>file://localhost/MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/</string> <key>Library Persistent ID</key><string>9859FB7EC218BF94</string> <key>Tracks</key> <dict> <key>3290</key> <dict> <key>Track ID</key><integer>3290</integer> <key>Name</key><string>Like a Stone</string> <key>Artist</key><string>Audioslave</string> <key>Album</key><string>Audioslave</string> <key>Genre</key><string>Alternative</string> <key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string> <key>Size</key><integer>4647834</integer> <key>Total Time</key><integer>290481</integer> <key>Year</key><integer>2002</integer> <key>Date Modified</key><date>2007-10-13T20:36:50Z</date> <key>Date Added</key><date>2013-06-26T13:38:34Z</date> <key>Bit Rate</key><integer>128</integer> <key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer> <key>Persistent ID</key><string>DE49B25D73CDBC05</string> <key>Track Type</key><string>File</string> <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/Music/Audioslave/Audioslave/Like%20a%20Stone.mp3</string> <key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer> <key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer> </dict> <key>3292</key> <dict> <key>Track ID</key><integer>3292</integer> <key>Name</key><string>Pearl's Girl</string> <key>Artist</key><string>Underworld</string> <key>Album Artist</key><string>Underworld</string> <key>Composer</key><string>JUNIOR BOY'S OWN</string> <key>Album</key><string>Everything Everything: Live [IMPORT] [LIVE]</string> <key>Genre</key><string>Electronica/Dance</string> <key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string> <key>Size</key><integer>9950328</integer> <key>Total Time</key><integer>497397</integer> <key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer> <key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer> <key>Track Number</key><integer>4</integer> <key>Year</key><integer>2000</integer> <key>Date Modified</key><date>2008-03-20T22:37:10Z</date> <key>Date Added</key><date>2013-06-26T13:38:34Z</date> <key>Bit Rate</key><integer>160</integer> <key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer> <key>Comments</key><string> 00000CAF 00000A40 00003259 0000243F 00024A1E 00024A1E 00008000 00008000 00038287 0002BF65</string> <key>Persistent ID</key><string>15908DEC03E4CDC9</string> <key>Track Type</key><string>File</string> <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/Music/Underworld/Everything%20Everything_%20Live%20%5BIMPORT%5D%20%5BLI/04%20Pearl's%20Girl.mp3</string> <key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer> <key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer> </dict> <key>3294</key> <dict> <key>Track ID</key><integer>3294</integer> <key>Name</key><string>Doesn't Remind Me</string> <key>Artist</key><string>Audioslave</string> <key>Album</key><string>Out Of Exile</string> <key>Genre</key><string>Alternative</string> <key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string> <key>Size</key><integer>6806963</integer> <key>Total Time</key><integer>255817</integer> <key>Track Number</key><integer>4</integer> <key>Track Count</key><integer>12</integer> <key>Year</key><integer>2005</integer> <key>Date Modified</key><date>2007-11-03T16:23:02Z</date> <key>Date Added</key><date>2013-06-26T13:38:34Z</date> <key>Bit Rate</key><integer>212</integer> <key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer> <key>Comments</key><string>Highly anticipated new album from Audioslave, brought to you by the boys at XXL. Enjoy!</string> <key>Persistent ID</key><string>536AFA67DD965C44</string> <key>Track Type</key><string>File</string> <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/Music/Audioslave/Out%20Of%20Exile/04%20Doesn't%20Remind%20Me.mp3</string> <key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer> <key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer> </dict> <key>3296</key> <dict> <key>Track ID</key><integer>3296</integer> <key>Name</key><string>Seven Nation Army</string> <key>Artist</key><string>Audioslave</string> <key>Genre</key><string>Rock</string> <key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string> <key>Size</key><integer>6169608</integer> <key>Total Time</key><integer>257044</integer> <key>Year</key><integer>2003</integer> <key>Date Modified</key><date>2007-11-03T16:24:20Z</date> <key>Date Added</key><date>2013-06-26T13:38:34Z</date> <key>Bit Rate</key><integer>192</integer> <key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer> <key>Persistent ID</key><string>948AE917019C23D1</string> <key>Track Type</key><string>File</string> <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/Music/Audioslave/Unknown%20Album/Seven%20Nation%20Army.mp3</string> <key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer> <key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer> </dict> <key>3298</key> <dict>

post #132 of 132 Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

It may be that the content of your XML file is wrong.

For a content entry in Elan that doesn't use a iTunes XML file, Elan just uses the share as configured.

And under these circumstances you say it works which would indicate that permission wise all is well.

With the XML entry I'm not sure if Elan uses the content of the XML file for anything other the metadata.

Some parts of your XML seem odd.

For instance for one song in my XML file there is a fragment:

file://localhost//NAS1/itunes

In your file there is this fragment:

file://localhost/MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/

//MachineName is the normal URL syntax for specifying a machine on the network. //MachineName/ShareName is the normal URL syntax for specifying a share on that machine.

Notice in your file there is a single / before MYBOOKLIVE and double // before iTunes. I have not seen this before - I think (but am not sure) that it is wrong.

Also //NAS1/iTunes matches the share name on NAS1 but /MYBOOKLIVE//Itunes/ is not matching \\mybooklive\public\iTunes.

Is the XML file from the customers site or your home? If it is from the customers site what is the share name there?

Also is the iTunes app configured to find its media files on your server and if so what is the exact entry?

Thanks!

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page