Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=abaazov;19539385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post

I install a lot of mecho (somfy) and lutron shades. There is no comparison between the two.[
When you say no comarison you mean lutron is that much better?
What about the sonnese motors?
Amnon

Lutron is superior.

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMTech View Post

Lutron doesn't make battery powered shades. QS Wireless is the new line from Lutron in Shading solutions. All you need is a 120 volt recp. close by in the pocket if you are recessing the shade. Yes you will need a RR-Main-WH repeater to set up the system and a remote to operate it. Lutron is money!

No, you do not need a RA repeater as stated previously in this thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 46 Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Liked: 10
[quote=Fiasco;20132855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaazov View Post

Lutron is superior.

There are differences, just to say Lutron is superior is misleading to say the least. The QED/QS 100 is limited to 100 sq ft of fabric and has a capacity of 2.8Nm of torque for lifting. The Sonesse 50 is capable of lifting more being a 4Nm motor, about 145 sq ft of fabric. Lutron is quieter, even though both meet the Spec of 44dB @ 3ft. Lutron seems slower as it runs in the window, but both advertise 32 RPM (Lutron being DC can have its speed adjusted to match other shades on different tubes or heavier weight, adjusting speed effects the lift capacity of the motor though).

Lutron is DC and Somfy is AC. DC and low voltage do not mean lower power consumption and requires a step-down transformer or power supply housed somewhere to constantly be powered and generating heat whether the shades move or not. Their arrangement could require homeruns of proprietary power/data wire to every motor, possibly increasing electrical costs. Somfy uses AC power, so no extra power supply to buy or hide and only uses power when the shade is running (maybe a small draw for the controller). It uses off-the-shelf romex which can be jumped off of existing circuits. You can jump off of existing circuits with Lutron, but you'd be using individual power supplies and need to find a place for those. A lot of dealers favor Lutron because it is low voltage and they can run the wire without an electrician and then can make the money on the wiring too, they'll still need an electrician to feed power to the power supplies. Somfy offers a quiet low voltage motor, but currently only at the 2Nm lift capacity. A lot of the non-quiet Somfy/Simu (still quiet by my standards) DC motors can lift quiet a bit, up to 10Nm.

From an installer's point of view, Somfy uses commercial grade bracketing and Lutron brackets can be bent with little effort and are a bit hokey IMHO. Somfy can be a one-man installation up to 10ft, where Lutron recommends a second person for anything wider than 4ft. Lutron makes a great product, but it doesn't fit every condition, home, or budget and Somfy has been around longer (in tubular motors) and offers some great solutions along with great prices. Both great products, just different, yet capable of achieving similar end results for the most part.
post #34 of 46 Old 03-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

We don't sell shades, only install them for another company. Since we are a union shop it's cheaper for the end user on labor for low voltage.

The fit/finish has been better on Lutron shades every time.

I don't have any power shades installed in my home but have installed many. We have never had a service visit on a Lutron system but have had many service calls on mecho. I would definitely avoid silent gliss (if they are still around)

My opinion is only that, an opinion.

Given a choice for my own personal use I would choose Lutron. Given a choice based on labor profit I'll take a/c shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_ View Post

There are differences, just to say Lutron is superior is misleading to say the least. The QED/QS 100 is limited to 100 sq ft of fabric and has a capacity of 2.8Nm of torque for lifting. The Sonesse 50 is capable of lifting more being a 4Nm motor, about 145 sq ft of fabric. Lutron is quieter, even though both meet the Spec of 44dB @ 3ft. Lutron seems slower as it runs in the window, but both advertise 32 RPM (Lutron being DC can have its speed adjusted to match other shades on different tubes or heavier weight, adjusting speed effects the lift capacity of the motor though).

Lutron is DC and Somfy is AC. DC and low voltage do not mean lower power consumption and requires a step-down transformer or power supply housed somewhere to constantly be powered and generating heat whether the shades move or not. Their arrangement could require homeruns of proprietary power/data wire to every motor, possibly increasing electrical costs. Somfy uses AC power, so no extra power supply to buy or hide and only uses power when the shade is running (maybe a small draw for the controller). It uses off-the-shelf romex which can be jumped off of existing circuits. You can jump off of existing circuits with Lutron, but you'd be using individual power supplies and need to find a place for those. A lot of dealers favor Lutron because it is low voltage and they can run the wire without an electrician and then can make the money on the wiring too, they'll still need an electrician to feed power to the power supplies. Somfy offers a quiet low voltage motor, but currently only at the 2Nm lift capacity. A lot of the non-quiet Somfy/Simu (still quiet by my standards) DC motors can lift quiet a bit, up to 10Nm.

From an installer's point of view, Somfy uses commercial grade bracketing and Lutron brackets can be bent with little effort and are a bit hokey IMHO. Somfy can be a one-man installation up to 10ft, where Lutron recommends a second person for anything wider than 4ft. Lutron makes a great product, but it doesn't fit every condition, home, or budget and Somfy has been around longer (in tubular motors) and offers some great solutions along with great prices. Both great products, just different, yet capable of achieving similar end results for the most part.

post #35 of 46 Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:

We don't sell shades, only install them for another company. Since we are a union shop it's cheaper for the end user on labor for low voltage.

I don't have any power shades installed in my home but have installed many. We have never had a service visit on a Lutron system but have had many service calls on mecho. I would definitely avoid silent gliss (if they are still around)

My opinion is only that, an opinion.

Given a choice for my own personal use I would choose Lutron. Given a choice based on labor profit I'll take a/c shades.

Understood, your opinion is valuable because it comes from real-life experience. Mecho doesn't use Somfy as much anymore since they have their own motor now. Also there is a huge movement in the industry to Chinese motors so buyer beware (some are painted to look like Somfy). Speaking to Lutron quality in my experience as a fabricator it is no better or worse than Somfy's, in fact I am looking at a pile of defective Lutron motors across my desk, ripe for return (right next to my similar pile of Somfy motors). Both have good quailty and the occasional return happens to both.

The jury is still out IMHO on what wiring is cheaper to run, especially with different wiring topology options with either systems.

p.s. Given a choice for my personal use, I couldn't afford Lutron.
post #36 of 46 Old 03-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_ View Post

Lutron is DC and Somfy is AC.

Somfy makes both AC and DC motors. The Sonesse 30 (DC) and Sonesse 50 (AC) both have the same published 44 dBA spec.

Quote:

What are you comparing it to? Somfy, for instance, doesn't make shades, but rather just the motors for shades.
post #37 of 46 Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaysing View Post
Somfy makes both AC and DC motors. The Sonesse 30 (DC) and Sonesse 50 (AC) both have the same published 44 dBA spec.

What are you comparing it to? Somfy, for instance, doesn't make shades, but rather just the motors for shades.
Two good points here. I was trying to compare the QED/QS 100 to Somfy's Sonesse 504 series. There are DC options from Somfy, but none that should be installed in a 2 1/2" tube (maybe Simu), a common tube to both systems. The Sonesse 30 is more of a comparison to the QED/QS 64, although the Somfy can lift almost twice as much out of the box.

Also a good point that Somfy doesn't make shades, but Lutron (by Vimco) does. So with Somfy, you'll find some fabricators with higher quality fabrication, tube, and components than others (everyone can get the same fabric as Lutron for the most part), but that gives you even more choices as far as price goes.
post #38 of 46 Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM

I just discovered this thread, as I'm looking at replacing 22 (!) blinds in my house with motorized options. I already had to replace the old AMX lighting with RadioRa 2 when I bought the house 2 years ago, to the tune of about $25K. Spending $15K for blinds is not really something I'm looking forward to, but the new wireless Sivoia QS shades that work with RadioRa 2 are very appealing. Has anyone had any experience? I saw one at a showroom and they are definitely not silent.
post #39 of 46 Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I just had 5 Sivioia QS wireless cellular shades installed in my HT

of the 5 shades only one is working properly and is very smooth and quiet (you can hear the motor but just barely): I love it

3 shades with vinyl extrusion on top that holds the motor and batteries could not be mounted: the mounting clips did not fit : Lutron is sending the correct clips

Fifth shade appears defective: it continually tries to operate past the stop to the point the batteries overheat: factory resets do not help: it will likely have to be replaced

overall the shades are very nice: the installer measured them for a tight fit (they are room darkening) and they came out well as far as fit and operation: once the issues with the other shades is resolved I will be quite pleased

Controlling from RRA 2 system including Grafic Eye QS , iPad app and RTI remote system
post #40 of 46 Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Here is a little information.... As far as programing price that is good as the counties I serve average 150.00 plus per hour
SOMFY
Somfy is a world leader in motorization and electronic controls for window coverings and awnings. They have a wide product portfolio, offering AC, DC, and battery powered motors with a variety of control options and home automation integration interfaces. They offer a great amount of versatility, with motors and components suited to power virtually any window covering application. Somfy offers top of the line solutions at a price point that is very reasonable.

LUTRON
Lutron® has manufactured lighting control systems for over 45 years, and has focused on creating entire home-lighting solutions with both artificial and natural light. As a result, Lutron motors are designed to work seamlessly with Lutron lighting and control systems. However, due the intricacies of their systems, Lutron requires that certified installers and integrators work on a project. In shade automation, they are known for the ultra quiet operation of their motors: they are rated at 44db from three feet away, the noise equivalent of a whisper. Although they are the clear choice when specifying a Lutron lighting system in conjuction with shades, they cost considerably more.
post #41 of 46 Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM

its a reasonable price quote, BUT, never be afraid to ask " is there any way to get a bit of wiggle room ,we are on a tight budget but really like working with you"

NOW, can you get a cheaper install - absolutely. but it will likely be ****-pootooties and he will eat you up on maintenance charges when stuff breaks. go right the first time and love it day after day. trust me this is my profession and i refuse cheapo installs.

its like choosing between a Samsung LED TV or a Vizio of the same size. It kinda about your budget. You might think you got something just as good but when it breaks 5 months later and nobody can help what did you really save, how do you feel?

post #42 of 46 Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

My Lutron QS cellular shades have been working well but one little problem:

I saw a flashing red light on one: batteries needed to be replaced: this was a small shade with 8 AA batteries

This shade has a removable battery pack: when I removed it I noticed one battery had started to leak and damaged the battery holder: it is still useable but I would like to get a replacement part: is there any way I can buy one without going through Lutron?

P/N 50014694 Rev A
post #43 of 46 Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Any way to hardwire the power, Mark, on some of your shades? I'm doing everything I can in my home to avoid changing batteries.

I think the power adapter for the shades runs about $150.

Did you use brand name batteries? I haven't seen batteries leak in years.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #44 of 46 Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

all name brand alkaline batteries dated 2016

I hesitate to hardwire: after Super-storm Sandy, house had no power for a few weeks, I was able to operate shades just by powering the main repeater from a UPS
post #45 of 46 Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

all name brand alkaline batteries dated 2016

I hesitate to hardwire: after Super-storm Sandy, house had no power for a few weeks, I was able to operate shades just by powering the main repeater from a UPS

If they were energizer batteries you may be able to have it replaced through their warranty. Energizer batteries used to cover damage caused by the battery if you read the fine print. Other name brands may also. Of course they reserve the right to refuse. Here is a link:
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/support/alakline-damage.html
post #46 of 46 Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks: Lutron Customer service said they will send one no charge
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page