post #91 of 389 Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

stefuel, I confirmed with the previous owner that everything previously installed is either present or will be returned to the house. I know the Jandy controller was removed but will be returned.

David, you are correct. I know Crestron is not DIY but I don't need to pay someone to come in and spend days tracking down wiring. I should be perfectly capable of doing that. Should save some coin, albeit likely little. Still, I prefer to be an educated consumer and involved in the process rather than saying "here, fix it".

Depending on the size/scope of your project you could easily end up saving yourself a few thousand by tracking the cables down yourself. And even more if you document/label your findings properly. As mentioned above.. it will mean the difference between 2 guys for 2 days vs 2 guys for 2 hours.

Custom Installation Blog: http://www.wiremunky.com
User Interface Design Blog: http://www.guijaboard.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 389 Old 11-29-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good to know. David provided me with some good information on what to keep track of. Is there any other information you guys/custom installers like to have?
post #93 of 389 Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
A&M, sending you a PM. I think I know the dealer you are talking to (I'm local Houston Tx), but am suggesting another local Crestron dealer to contact as well.
post #94 of 389 Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM

Can anybody recommend a good cable toner for a DIY? It would probably help the OP as well as myself. Are there separate ones for LV and HV or will the same toner work for both? Thank you.
post #95 of 389 Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Once you get all the touch panels sorted out, especially the wireless one, the front panel on the Pro2 will save you a bunch of time sorting out the ports on the rear. When you can navigate to a page or subpage that is for say a Fios cable box, press any button on that page and one of the 8 IR led's on the front panel will flash. The number on the front panel is the same on the IR port on thr rear. Do the same thing for all the device pages you can find. Each device will be associated with a front panel LED.

I don't know how many cresnet devices were configured in the system but it doesn't take much to overcome the small power supply in the Pro2.

Did you ask the previous owner if he had a copy of his program or try to get it for you? That would take all the guesswork out of it.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #96 of 389 Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn View Post

Can anybody recommend a good cable toner for a DIY? It would probably help the OP as well as myself. Are there separate ones for LV and HV or will the same toner work for both? Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-701K-...1177449&sr=8-3

This is what i use for tracing LV cables. You can usually find it at home depot near the data stuff.

You can use it to trace any kind of metal cable. Obviously you cant use it to tone out live high voltage cable. It will fry your tone generator and maybe you if you try.

A tip for toning low voltage cables. If you have a weak signal or it seems like its toning out on several cables.. have someone stand at the other end and hold one of the alligator clip leads while the other is connected to the wire. This usually amplifies the signal so that you can tone out the cable.

post #97 of 389 Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good to know. David provided me with some good information on what to keep track of. Is there any other information you guys/custom installers like to have?

The only thing i would add is a full inventory of what hardware you already have including (if possible) what type of shades are installed.

post #98 of 389 Old 12-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39CentStamp View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-701K-...1177449&sr=8-3

This is what i use for tracing LV cables. You can usually find it at home depot near the data stuff.

You can use it to trace any kind of metal cable. Obviously you cant use it to tone out live high voltage cable. It will fry your tone generator and maybe you if you try.

A tip for toning low voltage cables. If you have a weak signal or it seems like its toning out on several cables.. have someone stand at the other end and hold one of the alligator clip leads while the other is connected to the wire. This usually amplifies the signal so that you can tone out the cable.

Thanks for the response. I was just about to buy this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-902-22...1177810&sr=8-1

It seems like there is more information given on this unit than the one you recommended. Any particular reasons why I would be better off going with one over the other? Thank you.
post #99 of 389 Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I'm seriously late to this thread but I wanted to say that you have some very sound advice here. The only thing that I would add is about picking your Crestron programmer. I suggest that you look very carefully at the portfolio of user interfaces that your programmer interviewees have.

I've found in my years of being a Crestron programmer that there are loads of excellent programmers and loads of excellent graphic/UI designers. Rarely do the two exist in one person.

The UI is something that your family will have to live with for years and it must be something that everyone in the family is comfortable with. I suggest that you have your programmer walk you through screenshots of past work and explain the flow of the program... how the user achieves a desired goal (play a CD, check the weather, choose something on the movie server, etc.).

Be willing to trust their experience and expertise but don't do it blindly; ask questions and know why if it's unclear to you. There are very sound psychological and artistic reasons why my buttons are the size/shape/color/location that they are but I'm also under no illusion that I am writing a bespoke interface for a paying client.

Ask how much it would cost for your programmer to "skin" the UI (it shouldn't be too much... maybe an extra day's worth of programming time). Over the years your choices in color palette and general appearance will change. If the programmer is prepared for this ahead of time s/he can build in the ability to easily customize certain features such as color and background image.

And ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME! Congratulations!
post #100 of 389 Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update:

I was able to obtain the programming files! I hope it is all there. Looks like a few large .vtp files, .smw, .sig, .spv, .usp, .ush, .umc, and a few .ir and some crestron caip pdf help files.

Here is the company that did the install if anyone knows anything about them:
http://www.premierhometechnologies.com/

So my system breakdown should look like this if anyone has any suggestions:

PRO2 Professional Dual-Bus Control System
CNX-PAD8A Audio Distribution Processor
C2N-TXM Radio Tuner
Jandy RS serial interface
TPMC-10 Wireless Tablet Touch Panel
TPMC-10 Docking Station, update to Ipad eventually
3 LC1000, updated to tps-6l
Niles si-1230 12 channel amp
JVC RS40
Integra 80.2 preamp
emotiva xpa-5 and xpa-3
oppo bdp-93

Hopefully it wont be too cost prohibitive to reprogram to control the new theater equipment. Theoretically, the rest of the house should be unchanged.
post #101 of 389 Old 12-16-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:

Update:

I was able to obtain the programming files!

That's a result - the upgrades should be a nice easy job for someone. It's a great time to get someone decent involved who can support the system going forward.

Enjoy the system!
post #102 of 389 Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If there are any...issues...with the local dealer, then you could consider hiring a non-local CAIP, something that many dealers do. Quite a bit of talent out there, if you expand the search nationwide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #103 of 389 Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM

I am familiar with premier. I know the owner and several of their programmers. They have had some turnover in the past.

I am a houston based caip. www.cidesigners.com.

i can look at your code and see if it is complete. the code could be modified to control any new equipment. they should have sent you a ZIP file that is an archive with all your systems files.

Anthony
post #104 of 389 Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amargiot View Post

I am familiar with premier. I know the owner and several of their programmers. They have had some turnover in the past.

i can look at your code and see if it is complete. the code could be modified to control any new equipment. they should have sent you a ZIP file that is an archive with all your systems files.

Anthony

Pimpin yourself out tonight huh?

Senior Crestron Programmer
XS Design Studios
post #105 of 389 Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amargiot View Post

Anthony

PM sent
post #106 of 389 Old 01-01-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have a quick question. I am trying to simply hook this equipment back together to see what goes where (Pro2, PAD8A, LC1000, Jandy RS interface). I have two wires terminated with the 4 port cresnet plugs (24 V W G), one for the LC1000 and one from the crestron lighting. However, the pro2 only has one of the 4 port cresnet plug ins. What am I missing? I also need to plug in the PAD8A. I have a Crestron terminated wire with a two port plug also. It fits perfectly into the 4 port plug in but would only occupy the 24 and Y or Z and G. Or do they all communicate via the ethernet interface?

Just an FYI, I will be hiring a pro to get everything going but need to get some basic stuff hooked together to control my pool!
post #107 of 389 Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have a quick question. I am trying to simply hook this equipment back together to see what goes where (Pro2, PAD8A, LC1000, Jandy RS interface). I have two wires terminated with the 4 port cresnet plugs (24 V W G), one for the LC1000 and one from the crestron lighting. However, the pro2 only has one of the 4 port cresnet plug ins. What am I missing? I also need to plug in the PAD8A. I have a Crestron terminated wire with a two port plug also. It fits perfectly into the 4 port plug in but would only occupy the 24 and Y or Z and G. Or do they all communicate via the ethernet interface?

Just an FYI, I will be hiring a pro to get everything going but need to get some basic stuff hooked together to control my pool!

The Pro2 can power up to 50W (i think). For best results keep it around 80% of the spec.

What you are missing is a connection block. There are other models and it might be a hub but these pics will give you an idea about what you are looking for. And.. its quite possible the original installer used some home brew way to combine the cables.

WARNING! You had better be very careful. The LC-1000 and the PAD8A get their power from cresnet but the lighting processor may have its own power supply.That wire may go to a connecting block to power lighting keypads and you DONT want to plug it into the PRO2 or you will be running power into power. The lighting processor? What model? It may be getting powered from cresnet and using ethernet to communicate with the pro2 or it may be getting powered plus data.

WARNING! The 2 port connector could be for anything because crestron uses a standard phoenix connector. That cable may not be for cresnet.

I would pay someone to come out for a day and connect these things up so you dont fry all of the cresnet devices.

post #108 of 389 Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The dimmer modules are a clx-1dim4 and clx-1dim8. There are no lighting keypads. The lighting is controlled from the tpmc-10.
post #109 of 389 Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just noticed there is a caen block installed in the lighting panel. However, there is only one wire hooked to the block. Shouldn't there need to be a minimum of 2. One as input and one an output. Otherwise it would provide power only without signal. I check with a voltimeter the single wire connected to the block and it is powered. I guess I am just not understanding the flow of things from the pro2, caen block, lc1000 and Pad8a.
post #110 of 389 Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Connection between the pro2 and the caen block should be: terminal 1 - empty, 2 - white, 3 - blue, 4 - black (y, z, g). Assuming the Pad8a and LC1000 are intended to draw power from the Pro2 (up to 50 watts total, including draw from any expansion cards in the Pro2), they should be hooked up red, white, blue, black...
Make sure the color scheme matches on both ends before making the connections to the Pro2
post #111 of 389 Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The dimmer modules are a clx-1dim4 and clx-1dim8. There are no lighting keypads. The lighting is controlled from the tpmc-10.

There are no lighting keypads?! Isn't this against the building code?

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #112 of 389 Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Any inwall touchpanels with hard buttons? Seems really strange that there are no lighting keypads anywhere. As mentioned above.. seems against code to me.

post #113 of 389 Old 03-08-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I reinstalled my Jandy Onetouch and it is working fine. I also connected the RS serial adapter as per the manual. The adapter is getting power but I am unsure what COM port on the PRO2 it was installed on. I have tried randomly connecting to all but that is not working. Any ideas? Would the program files tell me? The crestron touchpanels are powering on but not communicating the best I can tell.

As for the lighting switches, I don't know why there are no dimmers. Perhaps code is different here?
post #114 of 389 Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I reinstalled my Jandy Onetouch and it is working fine. I also connected the RS serial adapter as per the manual. The adapter is getting power but I am unsure what COM port on the PRO2 it was installed on. I have tried randomly connecting to all but that is not working. Any ideas? Would the program files tell me? The crestron touchpanels are powering on but not communicating the best I can tell.

As for the lighting switches, I don't know why there are no dimmers. Perhaps code is different here?

OK, my first thought for the "not communicating" tp's is that they are getting power from a external power supply and the cresnet from the processor is not connected to that supply.

Do you have the ability to make a short cable to go from the pro2 direct to a tp? If so, just construct a short cable that allows you to take a tp to the processor and check from there. If you take the tp that controls the Jandy to the pro2 and get communication there, a touch of any button should trigger a led on the front of the pro2. This will tell you what port it should be connected to. A quick check to see if there is a external power supply in the mix is to disconnect the cresnet from the pro2 and see if the tp's still power up. Quick_and_dirty

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #115 of 389 Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. Yeah, when I disconnect the cresnet from the pro2 the tp's lose power. I can make a short cable to check and see if they really are communicating (or whatever term is appropriate) or if just getting power.

Also, the pro2 is connect to my switch but like is not connecting to the net as the previous owners ip would be different. Should the system work locally though without net?
post #116 of 389 Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When wired locally, the tp powers and illuminates the net light on the pro2 if anything is selected. The IR lights come as well for some items. However, the tp is not transmitting or receiving info for the pool controls (no temp or status). I have tried different com ports but not luck. I double checked the wiring and all is correct from the Jandy Onetouch to the RS serial adapter (red, black, yellow, green). Perhaps bypass the onetouch?
post #117 of 389 Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, out of mostly curiosity and desire to help get things connected back the way they were I asked him to send me a copy of his files. Woooa, there's way more going on here than we thought. No way would trial and error get this straightened out. I'm short on time this morning so I'll only list the serial port assignment. Later I'll do the IR which is fully populated and stacked.

port A Denon reciever

port B Denon DVD

port C Pool/spa

port D open (un-used)

port E Alarm

port F open (un-used)

Hope this helps get you started. If I can figure out how to post a screen shot of the port assignments I will if asked.

post #118 of 389 Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, that helps tremendously! IR is a mess as well, all cut no labels!
post #119 of 389 Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Duplicate post (dumb phone)
post #120 of 389 Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

More food for thought. here's the IR, typed word for word because I don't understand why it is this way.

Port A Directv HD 10 white remote Directv HD 10 white remote
Port A Shuman DTV D10 Shuman DTV D10

Port B Directv HD 10 white remote Directv HD 10 white remote

Port C Denon DCM-270 (infared control)

Port D Wright Sim2 projector Wright Sim2 projector
Port D Sim2 CX3 Sim2 CX3

Port E Panasonic PV-VS4820 (infared control)

Port F Caress Winbook TV Caress Winbook TV
Port F Caress Winbook TV Caress Winbook TV

Port G Wright Masterbed INDI Shades Wright Masterbed INDI Shades
Port G Hunter Douglas Drapes (Drapes 1-10 control)

Can someone explain to me what's going on with the likes of port F.

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page