Control 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Meeting with a Control 4 Rep soon.

Anyone have it? Can you share your experiences on some recommended functionality? I know it can do a lot of things but only want to consider those items that are real useful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The C4 'rep' is probably a dealer/installer, versed in lots of different control systems. He'll try to sell you more than you need.

But, you may not know about some of the cool things it can do - it's his job to tell you about them.

Check references.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator_1977 View Post

Meeting with a Control 4 Rep soon.

Anyone have it? Can you share your experiences on some recommended functionality? I know it can do a lot of things but only want to consider those items that are real useful.

Thanks

I've got it. I use a 500 series controller and media server and 6 lighting automation switches.

It runs my theater, my blu-ray changer, and automates many lights in my home and the entire theater.

I'd recommend it but it can be relatively expensive when you plunk $129 for each switch and the labor for install. Expect to spend at least $4,000.00 for a basic system for just theater control. Licenses for pads/phones run about $200 each or $500 for unlmited.

The ability to automate and control my theater from my I-phone or an I-pad and show people my entire movie and music library alone is worth the price of admission. My SO loves the automated lighting controls.

With the right installer it is perfect for a basic home automation strategy, easy to use, has I-pad, phone etc options for control and can releatively easily be programmed with a little knowledge.

My goals were:
1) total theater automation and control - lights through equipment. [works great and integrates my BD collection on screen or on my control pads as it does music ripped to the server];
2) home automation - lighting automation primarilly but I wanted the option for door locks, the garage etc.
- I haven't played with HVAC, video monitoring, alarm system integration etc.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

thanks... anything you feel like you are missing or would like to have done differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

I've got it. I use a 500 series controller and media server and 6 lighting automation switches.

It runs my theater, my blu-ray changer, and automates many lights in my home and the entire theater.

I'd recommend it but it can be relatively expensive when you plunk $129 for each switch and the labor for install. Expect to spend at least $4,000.00 for a basic system for just theater control. Licenses for pads/phones run about $200 each or $500 for unlmited.

The ability to automate and control my theater from my I-phone or an I-pad and show people my entire movie and music library alone is worth the price of admission. My SO loves the automated lighting controls.

With the right installer it is perfect for a basic home automation strategy, easy to use, has I-pad, phone etc options for control and can releatively easily be programmed with a little knowledge.

My goals were:
1) total theater automation and control - lights through equipment. [works great and integrates my BD collection on screen or on my control pads as it does music ripped to the server];
2) home automation - lighting automation primarilly but I wanted the option for door locks, the garage etc.
- I haven't played with HVAC, video monitoring, alarm system integration etc.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator_1977 View Post

thanks... anything you feel like you are missing or would like to have done differently?

Well yes. I have been adding on for two years.

First I'd have bought the I-phone pad control earlier. It's amazing and trounces the included remote hands down.

Second I'd have bought the 400 disc bd changer or a media server sooner.

Third I wish I'd have spent more time planning what i wanted to automate up front.

Those are all after initial want/need items. Its amazing what you realize it can do after you install it.

Think about theater warm up and lighting scene options. Timing duration ect. For example I added all on all off, projector warm up and down cycles pre and post movie.

Spend time with your wife or family and see what they would use before the install. I thought I planned pretty well but then my wife asked about automating outdoor and indoor security lights ect and it took off.

Also be sure you buy a license for DirectorHE so you can adjust and add programing without paying an installer every time.

You need a live 24/7 Internet connection for the controller and need a UPS.

Finally be sure you have switchplates and replacement gang boxes and covers and decora second third forth switches as needed for older style or similar replacements and you know your electrical panel if you want to save installer time and cost.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Well yes. I have been adding on for two years.

First I'd have bought the I-phone pad control earlier. It's amazing and trounces the included remote hands down.

Second I'd have bought the 400 disc bd changer or a media server sooner.

Third I wish I'd have spent more time planning what i wanted to automate up front.

Those are all after initial want/need items. Its amazing what you realize it can do after you install it.

Think about theater warm up and lighting scene options. Timing duration ect. For example I added all on all off, projector warm up and down cycles pre and post movie.

Spend time with your wife or family and see what they would use before the install. I thought I planned pretty well but then my wife asked about automating outdoor and indoor security lights ect and it took off.

Also be sure you buy a license for DirectorHE so you can adjust and add programing without paying an installer every time.

You need a live 24/7 Internet connection for the controller and need a UPS.

Finally be sure you have switchplates and replacement gang boxes and covers and decora second third forth switches as needed for older style or similar replacements and you know your electrical panel if you want to save installer time and cost.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM

who would you say is the biggest competitor to Control 4 (i.e. who else should I look into)
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page