Escient Fireball flashing red light solved. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 74 Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It takes more than the correct voltage to work. It has to be clean power. Take the power supply off and look under the heat sink on the low voltage end of the supply. Look at the tops of the large capacitors for bulging or electrolite leaking from the top or bottom of those caps.
Read the whole thread here and look for the post on how to use a old ATX power supply to test the fireball.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please read the whole thread before posting. Most of the replies here are people asking the same question over and over again. Everything that I know has been posted here.
I have worked on a number of Fireballs. Eighty percent of them were resolved with service to the power supplies. The rest I could not fix because the schematics and recovery discs are locked down.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #63 of 74 Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I fixed mine

Will explain you lately how, but now it's time for new year party.

@Stefuel : did you récrive my mail?

GeD
post #64 of 74 Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM

gedeon25...I did measured the power supply with an O'scope verifying voltage and waveform.

I did receive a response from Escient Support and I was provided a link to the firmware to to perform a manual firmware update.

Has anyone attempted a manual firmware update on a DVDM-300 using the CD drive?
if so, what was your experience/outcome with this?

Probably won't try this until after NYs

Cheers,
post #65 of 74 Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 AM

So,

How I fixed my E2.

First of all, I open the case, disconnect the 10 wires link (10 cm) between power supply and motherboard. I put a big external ATX power supply from my home PC.
I swap the IDE cable with a brand new I have at home, but the one I putted is only for test (one plug is not on the good position, have a look on regular IDE ribbon and you will see what I mean)

I'm lucky and I have in stock a golden disc from Escient to set up new hard disc drive so I putted on my E2 a new HDD (750 Gb IDE)

Escient explained that when you want to do a manual firmware update, you have to disconnect your LAN.

ok, all ready, let's go.

After 5 minutes, update disc didn't boot... (bad news)

So I decided to reboot the machine with LAN connected !!!

>>> after 2 or 3 minutes of LAN activity, screen told me : update in progress, please wait (downloading) GOOOOOOOOOD ! downloading of the firmware took 10 minutes or more.

flash succesfull, reboot the machine with golden disc inside and 5 minutes later, a working E2, like new.

After that, I reconnect original IDE ribbon and reboot >>>>> ok

I reconnect original power supply and start again >>>>>> ok

So, my experience is that sometimes, electric problems on your AC power may hang your motherboard, and as Escient did not put a BIOS RESET switch, you have to force the system with a new firmware update (that will reset your bios conf)

Of course, if we need a perfect power supply, you have to check your capacitance on P/S as Stefuel said !
post #66 of 74 Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Hi All! Please help a non-techie! My E2-300 is acting up and I'm not sure where to start. I have read the entire thread and what's happening with mine doesn't sound like all the others. When I power it up, I get the Fireball startup screen.....then it says it is performing backup functions but the progress bar never moves and then it clicks over to the Software Update function. It says "Connecting to server. Please wait...." It never connects or downloads, but after several minutes clicks off and automatically restarts. The results are the same whether or not my LAN is connected through the ethernet port.
post #67 of 74 Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@gedeon

I am jealous of you !!!! And I am itching to get my Escient turned on!! And I hope you can help me.....

1. I can see video output on my screen but it says "Startup Problem" "Unable to find software..........."
2. So I presume, rebooting the machine with an external ATX may work.

BUT:

A. I do not full get how to connect the external ATX . I read the post from earlier, but the wiring as explained I am kinda unsure of. Can this be explained more detailed? A picture, perhaps?

B. I DESPERATELY need a copy of the Golden CD. Can you please PM me? I can pay for you to ship me a copy............

Please, please reply !!!!!!!!!!!! Aaarrgghh.......
post #68 of 74 Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 AM

CHAPPATTI :

you need to connect the external ATX power supply plug to the Escient motherboard (the plug is on the right side of the motherboard when you look front of the unit.

Do you hear the HDD spin or not?

your problem can be on 2 levels

1) your hard disk had a soft problem (power supply cuts during HDD writing)
> in this case you juste need to rewrite boot sector > in this case you do not lose your music

2) your HDD is dead, and you need a new one
> in tris case you must do a full install and format, and you will lose all your datas.

What's your machine? E2 ?

regards,

GeD
post #69 of 74 Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchujin2 View Post

Hi All! Please help a non-techie! My E2-300 is acting up and I'm not sure where to start. I have read the entire thread and what's happening with mine doesn't sound like all the others. When I power it up, I get the Fireball startup screen.....then it says it is performing backup functions but the progress bar never moves and then it clicks over to the Software Update function. It says "Connecting to server. Please wait...." It never connects or downloads, but after several minutes clicks off and automatically restarts. The results are the same whether or not my LAN is connected through the ethernet port.

same reply as chappatti. you lose part of the boot program and your unit tries do connect to Escient Server to upgrade. Unfortunnatly, Escient Servers are now down.

you need a golden disc.
post #70 of 74 Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedeon25 View Post

CHAPPATTI :

you need to connect the external ATX power supply plug to the Escient motherboard (the plug is on the right side of the motherboard when you look front of the unit.

Do you hear the HDD spin or not?

your problem can be on 2 levels

1) your hard disk had a soft problem (power supply cuts during HDD writing)
> in this case you juste need to rewrite boot sector > in this case you do not lose your music

2) your HDD is dead, and you need a new one
> in tris case you must do a full install and format, and you will lose all your datas.

What's your machine? E2 ?

regards,

GeD

Thanks so much for replying..

Yes, it is a E2.

1. The hard drive spins and is very quiet, no clicks or stuff. So I assume it is OK. But it could still have failed.
2. Since I get a video display (with error about unable to boot --no software etc), it looks it all problems are in HDD
3. I can reformat - I am willing to give up the data to get this fixed !!

I have another question !! While I was trying to get the E2 up, I also bought a used DVDM-100 (DVD manager). Yeah, I am nuts like that !!!!!!

From the previous owner, this has a password protection, but I cannot get the password. He does not remember the password. The password is preventing me from accessing the regular setup menu - it is in guest access mode. Is there anyway to factory rest any Escient without password or anything?? These things are annoying !!!!! :-)
post #71 of 74 Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Not sure if this bypasses the password or not, but hit setup then 8020. This normally takes you into a deeper setup menu.
post #72 of 74 Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 AM

Try these for password to get into setup menu : 3473, 96843468, or 8675309
post #73 of 74 Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM

I already got these passwords from Escient support....... some VERY good soul replied to my email !!!smile.gif

And I can say they work !!

Thanks anyways for putting these out here for other folk ..........

PS: pm sent
post #74 of 74 Old 09-14-2014, 05:19 PM

I have a DVDM-300 and its doing the same thing. red light flashing and no one is home..nothing pops up on screen.

Anyone have a detailed way to test the unit with an external atx power supply? as I understand this is a power supply issue. or where to get a new power supply for it?

thanks
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page