Android@home home automation framework - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home Automation > Android@home home automation framework

Home Automation

YoMaMa84's Avatar YoMaMa84
10:56 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 16
05-10-2011 | Posts: 125
Joined: Jan 2007
Control basically anything electronic you want in your house as long as it's as android or a low cost hardware add-on

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/g...ome-framework/

SOLD!!!
fletch999's Avatar fletch999
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 16
05-10-2011 | Posts: 1,333
Joined: Aug 2004
Vaporware!
Nosoforos's Avatar Nosoforos
03:42 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 16
05-10-2011 | Posts: 72
Joined: May 2005
I'm just shocked by the total lack of vision and thought this whole presentation was breathing. It would be awesome if a company finally made some real progress in this field. But this just seems made for a handful of nerds, instead of a mass-product - which is needed for this whole automation thing to get a little bit further than it has gotten the last 30 years.
YoMaMa84's Avatar YoMaMa84
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 16
05-10-2011 | Posts: 125
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosoforos View Post

I'm just shocked by the total lack of vision and thought this whole presentation was breathing. It would be awesome if a company finally made some real progress in this field. But this just seems made for a handful of nerds, instead of a mass-product - which is needed for this whole automation thing to get a little bit further than it has gotten the last 30 years.

yea, seriously.
PanteraGSTK's Avatar PanteraGSTK
03:43 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 16
05-11-2011 | Posts: 137
Joined: May 2009
They really need to get it together if they want this to be mass market. I don't think most people care too much about HA for the simple fact that they have no clue what it is actually used for. That and the fact that it usually has to be installed (for lots of $ depending on what they want it to do). I think that for those reasons it will simply die no matter how good of an idea it may be.
Shady_'s Avatar Shady_
10:59 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 16
05-17-2011 | Posts: 100
Joined: Dec 2009
Yeah, I'm already controlling my entire home through Android tablets and iOS devices via a gateway and Z-Wave (which I chose due to its wide availability, affordability, and universal interoperability (for the most part)). This announcement should have been made back in 2007.

Who cares about how it is controlled, I can operate lights and shades from my watch right now (and pc, mac, android, ios, etc). The real question is compatibility and interoperability with the system you already own and have been living with for years. What technology is dimming the lights or what protocol is the smart Fridge using to communicate, etc. Proprietary technology is limiting, and open interoperability is preferred.
Dean Roddey's Avatar Dean Roddey
02:49 PM Liked: 102
post #7 of 16
05-17-2011 | Posts: 19,547
Joined: Aug 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_ View Post

The real question is compatibility and interoperability with the system you already own and have been living with for years.

Well, to be fair, that's the question for folks who already have automation in place, which is probably only a couple percent of households, right? For the rest of them, if this pushes them to move in the direction of automation, it can't be a bad thing overall for the automation world.
Nosoforos's Avatar Nosoforos
04:07 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 16
05-17-2011 | Posts: 72
Joined: May 2005
Home automation will continue to be irrelevant to most people as long as there isn't someone who will make it cool, affordable and pretty- and will somehow actually make it useful (or convince everyone it's useful).
But so far there's nothing out there that makes one go 'I want that!'. Google has to be the least capable of changing that. Too bad, we'll all continue DIY-ing around with x10, zwave, zigbee and whatever else...
Zellarman's Avatar Zellarman
08:21 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 16
05-17-2011 | Posts: 250
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosoforos View Post

Home automation will continue to be irrelevant to most people as long as there isn't someone who will make it cool, affordable and pretty- and will somehow actually make it useful (or convince everyone it's useful).
But so far there's nothing out there that makes one go 'I want that!'. Google has to be the least capable of changing that. Too bad, we'll all continue DIY-ing around with x10, zwave, zigbee and whatever else...

How is turning lights on/off with a smart phone not cool? While the extra $50 spent on each insteon based Light switch in my house is considerably more than the $5 you could get a standard dimmer for, I think it can be considered affordable. Pretty? at worst it's aesthetically the same, the switches, whether x10, zwave, insteon (etc.) all look pretty much like decora switches, thermostats are comparable, most controls are out of sight, and then it only gets better, what's not pretty about color touch screens?

Lots of people go 'I want that!' when they see it, the problem here is lack of exposure, or people not even knowing what can be done. I myself have an OK system, poor man style done on a budget, it's insteon based lighting with an ISY, and whole home AV with iRule controls, both systems mesh nicely, and I plan to incorporate HVAC controls. I saved a good chunk of money by purchasing AV components and port server on eBay. I know of crestron, control4 and some others, but they're beyond my purchasing power. I know a lot can be done with these systems, and I also know there's a lot that I don't know about. That being said, I'm convinced HA can provide something beneficial to anyone, it's just a matter of figuring out what that is, and how to do it practically.

My biggest gripe is the lack of a universal protocol or gateway. This is where I feel Uncle Sam should step in ( I'm sure many feel it might be a little 'Big Brotherish' or anti-capitalistic, but I think it would be justified) I'm not saying the gov't should necessarily be able to control our homes, or OK, maybe a little, like dimming all lights down 10% if there's a pending brown out, is that such a big deal? But what really gets me is that I have to program my coffee maker! Really, why can't my HA controller turn it on, be it via a program, or at a certain time? I think ALL appliances and electronic devices should have either wifi or an rj45 connector, and some how communicate on a universal level.

I have a wall clock in my kitchen, on the opposite side of the room is my range, and directly above that is a microwave, is it really that difficult for somebody to figure out how to make them all read the same time? WTF! (excuse me, but that's just how I feel) somebody needs to take charge of this, I have this idea, but not a clue how to pull it off. Even my iPod and iPad have different times, how'd that happen? EVERY clock in this country, at the very least, should read the same (accounting for time zone differences of course) Time has exact units of measure, why shouldn't it be measured from a universal datum? We live in a world of such precision, where gas costs so damn much and yet it's cost is still measured to the tenth of a cent? Time is the most valuable commodity there is, but we're so forgiving with it's lack of accuracy, I just don't get it!

Sorry if I went off topic, but I don't think I ventured too far. Thanks for reading.
Nosoforos's Avatar Nosoforos
02:52 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 16
05-18-2011 | Posts: 72
Joined: May 2005
I totally agree it's 'cool' already, but it's still too nerdy. It has to become more attractive to the average consumer. And while some of those touchscreens are pretty, I dislike the general lack of really thought-through design.
Zellarman's Avatar Zellarman
05:09 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 16
05-18-2011 | Posts: 250
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosoforos
I totally agree it's 'cool' already, but it's still too nerdy. It has to become more attractive to the average consumer. And while some of those touchscreens are pretty, I dislike the general lack of really thought-through design.
You should check out iRule, it features a fully customizable GUI, you can think it through as much as you want, then put it into action!
Shady_'s Avatar Shady_
05:35 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 16
05-18-2011 | Posts: 100
Joined: Dec 2009
I use the app from SquareConnect.com it is highly polished and well thought out. Their stuff is already "cool, affordable and pretty".
Zellarman's Avatar Zellarman
06:48 PM Liked: 10
post #13 of 16
05-18-2011 | Posts: 250
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_
I use the app from SquareConnect.com it is highly polished and well thought out. Their stuff is already "cool, affordable and pretty".
How do you control your shades?
Shady_'s Avatar Shady_
06:53 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 16
05-18-2011 | Posts: 100
Joined: Dec 2009
I don't have the entire house setup with motorized shades yet, but the few I do have are controlled with a couple of different controllers (due to me being in the WC industry and wanting to test multiple options). For AC motors the two most popular would be the ABMHZ from ESI and the AC1-ZW from Lagotek, Aeon Labs is releasing one but I am not sure I have it working as well as those. There are DC versions of both as well.

edit: the AC1-ZW has a smaller form factor and an optional sensor input (which I haven't attempted to use yet).

Were you looking for direct Z-Wave control as there are plenty of serial control options, either serial bridge to motor controllers or serial inerfaces to radio motors?
Zellarman's Avatar Zellarman
08:59 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 16
05-18-2011 | Posts: 250
Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_ View Post

I don't have the entire house setup with motorized shades yet, but the few I do have are controlled with a couple of different controllers (due to me being in the WC industry and wanting to test multiple options). For AC motors the two most popular would be the ABMHZ from ESI and the AC1-ZW from Lagotek, Aeon Labs is releasing one but I am not sure I have it working as well as those. There are DC versions of both as well.

edit: the AC1-ZW has a smaller form factor and an optional sensor input (which I haven't attempted to use yet).

Were you looking for direct Z-Wave control as there are plenty of serial control options, either serial bridge to motor controllers or serial inerfaces to radio motors?

I was hoping for something that I could mesh with insteon and an ISY controller. Thinking as I type though, serial seems like it might be a little better, if it takes advantage of being able to address individual shades. I already have a port server I'm using, so maybe I'm a small part of the way there as far as controls go. The shade itself would have to be LV (DC) it's a total afterthought and running LV wiring will be difficult enough.
Nosoforos's Avatar Nosoforos
03:09 AM Liked: 10
post #16 of 16
05-19-2011 | Posts: 72
Joined: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

You should check out iRule, it features a fully customizable GUI, you can think it through as much as you want, then put it into action!

Actually, I have followed development on iRule since day 1. But I still haven't decided whether or not to buy a license. (I do have the equipment in place already). I think iRule just proves my point. While it's lovely to see what some people do with it, their website looks rather simple and unattractive. I think they should focus way more on usability and interface options. But I won't go to far into detail, since this should be the Android- automation thread
Reply Home Automation

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3