Alternative to HAI Ip camera server for use with Snaplink on iPhone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hoping someone can give me an alternative ip camera server (DVR optional) to use with the Snaplink control software on my phone and iPad.

I spoke to tech support and they confirmed that alternatives can be used since access is through web, but said some would possibly require some extra query strings.

In a nutshell, I can find ip servers on eBay for about $100 as opposed to $800 for HAI with identical specifications. Even if someone can't name a secific model and brand product, maybe just the most important specs will help. For example, it seems the software on many of them is Linux based, is that an issue? Also, does format need to be JPG?

Thanks for responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to also mention I have Omnipro II with 2 of the 5.7 touch screens with no touchscreen hub used. To add video to these touchscreens requires video encoder, but the cost makes it seem like the smarter option would be to spend the extra money on upgrading to 5.7e Ethernet based touch screens. Would y'all agree with this or is there a workaround to not purchasing video encoder?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM

How many camera's do you have? Depending on your requirements it may be cheaper to purchase I.p cameras instead of the camera server. As far as the keypads, you may as well upgrade them to 5.7E if it fits your budget versus putting more money into end of road products.
Just my thoughts
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM

First, the format needs to be MJPEG and yes one may use cameras other that HAI branded ones. The app's have native support for AXIS and Panasonic. Good luck because those are pro grade and are more expensive that what you are looking at with your analog option. The last option would be to use a version of Everfocus DVR's that allow for the HAI devices to see the camereas directly from the dvr. (the dvr doesn't use active x to display cameras...call them for support) There are lots of ways to do things but it all results are not the same. Have fun and my advice would be to stick with the HAI camera server or check out the everfocus option. IP will be too expensive from what I understand in your post.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogereater View Post

First, the format needs to be MJPEG and yes one may use cameras other that HAI branded ones. The app's have native support for AXIS and Panasonic. Good luck because those are pro grade and are more expensive that what you are looking at with your analog option. The last option would be to use a version of Everfocus DVR's that allow for the HAI devices to see the camereas directly from the dvr. (the dvr doesn't use active x to display cameras...call them for support) There are lots of ways to do things but it all results are not the same. Have fun and my advice would be to stick with the HAI camera server or check out the everfocus option. IP will be too expensive from what I understand in your post.

Yes the format needs to be MJPEG, No they don't have to be axis or panasonic. I have 2 budget camera's in my system, 1 is a trendnet and the other is a panasonic. Combined cost was 200.00 so depending on what your camera requirements are your mileage will vary.

Camera's on the approved list have presets to get them working, however it is a simple MJPEG query that is needed so its not to hard to figure out!!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses so far. I actually already have the cameras which are all analog and not really an option to change to ip. One of them is part of the élan system, a front door camera built into wall durng construction. Also I have a very nice dual lens Sony that was about 600 lines res. which I mounted on second floor exterior wall with wire sealed through bracket. The other two are dome cameras made by Bosch.

Basically, I have some decent cameras already and just need the camera server to access them in snaplink. The main question was with the cost of the Hai server at $800, I found similar ip analog camera servers for much less, from $100 for generic eBay one, to 500 for panasonic server WITH DVR, and $500 to $750 for Axis server with DVR.

I was most impressed with Axis. Can anyone recommend a specific model that will be an easy plug and play fit with Snaplink?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aal3723 View Post

I was hoping someone can give me an alternative ip camera server (DVR optional) to use with the Snaplink control software on my phone and iPad.

I spoke to tech support and they confirmed that alternatives can be used since access is through web, but said some would possibly require some extra query strings.

In a nutshell, I can find ip servers on eBay for about $100 as opposed to $800 for HAI with identical specifications. Even if someone can't name a secific model and brand product, maybe just the most important specs will help. For example, it seems the software on many of them is Linux based, is that an issue? Also, does format need to be JPG?

Thanks for responses!

Everfocus dvr's are compatible with mobile safari and thus can be viewed through the hai iPhone app. The ever focus dvr's also play nice with the touch screens from hai. I am using an x series right now. I purposely bought the ever focus for hai use. I had a specotech dvr and it didn't play nice with mobile safari and they don't work on the hai touch screens.