Nest - What are the HA implications? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.nest.com/

So I'm just going to put the question out there; what are the implications of devices like this on home automation? Big deal, irrelevant, neat but ultimately not the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM

The short answer is that this product is not integration friendly. However, one could claim that the "self" learning algorithm for occupancy is automation without integration. Regarding integration, there are existing stats available today that are way more sophisticated, integration friendly, and have a better price point. The NEST stat is targeted for people who are unable (too stupid or too lazy) to program a $100(or less) programmable thermostat.
Side note: Here are a list of issues I have with the device:
1)size...it's way smaller than traditional stats and to retrofit the device will require fixing holes and painting.
2)remote access will be locked down to the NEST cloud via IP. NEST is interested in the recurring revenue model which has no value in this application. Other, more flexible devices do this today for free.
3)cost...the value proposition for this device is ******
4)A wifi stat will consume a lot more energy than necessary for communication
5)it uses batteries.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
CANNOT CURRENTLY BE INTEGRATED. Just saw on the C4 forum that a C4 dealer approached Nest about control. Their reply: "Thank you for contacting nest. The API or SDK is not available at this time."

One other thing that I don't like. It's learning process is based on when you turn the dial (not affected by you changing the schedule via wifi). So, for me to teach it to turn the heat up on cold mornings so the house is warm WHEN i get out of bed, I need to get up earlier, turn the *$@%$ thermostat ring, hop back in bed to warm up, then get up at the regular time when the house is warm. That's screwy, to say the very least, when I can program my thermostat to do that based on time, or with a HA system, adjust the programming without worrying about a "learning" device changing it on me. Likewise, I want it to be cool (or warm) when I get home, not 30 minutes AFTER I get home. So I have leave work early for a week or more to train this *$@#$% thing? I know you can adjust it remotely, but that's different from it "learning". Maybe I'm just missing the point of this device.

This will fit the iDevice crowd just fine and sell wildly because of it. Those who want true HA will go with devices designed specifically for HA.

WHOA: Just looked at the price. . .No thank you. My little programmable thermostat does just fine.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM

I thought the way the learning worked was if you get up at 7am every morning a nd turn the nest up to what you want the temperature to be it will "learn" that you get up at 7 and after a week the thermostat will kick in at 6:30am so that the house is at the temperature you like at 7?

Simon
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by raZorTT View Post

I thought the way the learning worked was if you get up at 7am every morning a nd turn the nest up to what you want the temperature to be it will "learn" that you get up at 7 and after a week the thermostat will kick in at 6:30am so that the house is at the temperature you like at 7?

Simon

Perhaps. I was under the impression it was more literal learning. If I set the temp to 70 every day at 7am, then it will begin setting the temp to 70 every day at 7am. I don't really care. After more investigation, the fact that it's closed to outside control, I will stick to the old ugly stuff that will interface with HA systems.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Sparkfun did a teardown of the Nest, and found a Zigbee antenna, so perhaps integration is coming.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 369
these thermostats are selling at Lowes for $250.00: picked one up for my HT: very nice thermostat: works nicely with the iPad app

If they can integrate this into a control program, it would be a killer product
post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 PM

My Nest just updated to 2.1. Wonder what is new? Nothing on the website yet.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 AM

Liked: 11
The guys on the C4forums say that it can be integrated now. There is also a YouTube video which shows HouseLogix who wrote a driver for its integration with Control 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiK-n...e_gdata_player
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 AM

doesn't one still have to go through the Nest portal for this connectivity?
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page