Turning on lights with Homelink - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-01-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a fairly easy problem, but can't seem to find an easy answer.

Basically I want to control some outdoor lights with my car's homelink transmitter.

The switch is inside, the lights are outside and I need a way to program the homelink visor.

I've been looking at x-10, z-wave, Leviton, etc...and I'm really confused. I just want a simple, elegant solution.

Leviton looks like the most simple, but not sure if it will allow me to program homelink.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM

I just wanted to bump this thread because I too am I asking the exact same questions. I'd love to get some recommendations. I have no idea where to begin and feel overwhelmed.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Liked: 12
RadioRa 2 will allow you to do this.

Your vehicles Homelink system will communicate with Lutron's RadioRa 2 Visor Receiver.

You will need a RadioRa 2 Main Repeater, and RadioRa 2 dimmers or switches on the loads you wish to control. This will seem like an expensive solution to your single problem, but the Main Repeater and Visor Receiver will lay the foundation for a larger lighting control system in the future.

I would suggest contacting some local installers in your area.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM

That does seem a little above and beyond what I'd be looking for. Any thoughts on Insteon or X10 as a DIY starter approach before going all out on a Lutron setup?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM

post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM

Yeah, the remote is actually not what I'm after.

Essentially, the remote is already "built in" to the car. It's called Homelink. And it can communicate with several different protocols, X10, Insteon (with a X10 link), RadioRa2, etc

I'm just looking for anyone has advice on using Insteon or X10 or recommendations to use with Homelink
post #7 of 10 Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman1100 View Post

I have a fairly easy problem, but can't seem to find an easy answer.

Basically I want to control some outdoor lights with my car's homelink transmitter.

The switch is inside, the lights are outside and I need a way to program the homelink visor.

I've been looking at x-10, z-wave, Leviton, etc...and I'm really confused. I just want a simple, elegant solution.

Leviton looks like the most simple, but not sure if it will allow me to program homelink.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The Homelink website lists compatible lighting. Leviton is not among the ones listed. I just setup the Homelink buttons in my car to link to my RadioRA (classic) system this morning. Linking the Homelink buttons to the RadioRA buttons was trivial, taking ~3 seconds per button. If you buy parts on eBay, you could get everything required for an outdoor light RadioRA-Homelink setup, for under $100. This cost is probably on par with X10 (or Insteon via X10), but even if it's not, I think the more robust performance is worth the difference, particularly if you may later expand to other lighting.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-02-2011, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Smarthome now has a christmas lights project page:

http://www.smarthome.com/projects-16a.html
post #9 of 10 Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka23 View Post

The Homelink website lists compatible lighting. Leviton is not among the ones listed. I just setup the Homelink buttons in my car to link to my RadioRA (classic) system this morning. Linking the Homelink buttons to the RadioRA buttons was trivial, taking ~3 seconds per button. If you buy parts on eBay, you could get everything required for an outdoor light RadioRA-Homelink setup, for under $100. This cost is probably on par with X10 (or Insteon via X10), but even if it's not, I think the more robust performance is worth the difference, particularly if you may later expand to other lighting.
Hey aka hopefully your still around I am having some trouble getting this programmed.
I have the radiora2 system with visor receiver and I tried to just learn the remote from lutron into the home link and it works for the garage door but not the lights.
I tried pressing "learn" on the lutron visor receiver and then press keypad button 1 (which I programmed my outside lights to turn on) so now both "learn and button one" are both lit up.

I go to my homelink car and press both outer buttons for 1-2 seconds then press and hold one button to learn the lights on my lutron visor receiver but it never learns..
And ideas?

JOE
post #10 of 10 Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
OP: I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.smarthome.com/projects-8a.html

Founder for the CastleOS Home Automation System, featuring Kinect integration www.CastleOS.com
Reply Home Automation